Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Historic guideline check
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Agree with CdeC...Brian and Dan are very helpful when asked to give advice on a project while in the planning stage. I was responsible for the re-roofing project at Grace Church Van Vorst in the downtown historic district, and Dan was instrumental in helping us find an aesthetically pleasing roofing material. In the end it turned out to be far more attractive than I could have hoped for, and we stayed within the budget.

I actually look forward to working with them when we have the funds to fix the broken porch on the Rectory.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 2:06

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/11 18:46
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Historic district overlays are a component of the municipal zoning ordinance and not something that needs to be in your deed in order to be legally enforceable. You might be able to bypass the historic commission review if you were doing a simple repair but the reconstruction of any sort of exterior element that is visible from the public way will trigger a review by the city HPC officer. As annoying as it is, it's definitely worth it to do your due diligence in advance of applying for permits. I would contact the office again to describe the work and to get a sense of what the review process will be for your particular project. They should also be able to explain the review process to you and tell you exactly what sort of materials are required (architectural drawings, sketches, photos etc.). The procedure is actually quite simple but can be confusing and daunting if you've never been through it before.

Posted on: 2014/7/19 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JoeGee wrote:
No one has any idea anymore?

Call again. Ask for Brian Blazak or Dan Wreiden. I have dealt with both of them without ever having a problem. Brian is Dan's assistant.

Just curious - if you bought after your neighborhood was designated an historic district, is that added to the deed or some other legal documents?

Posted on: 2014/7/19 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
No one has any idea anymore?

Posted on: 2014/7/19 15:14
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Historic guideline check
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
What are the guide lines in 2014? I tried to call the historic department "AKA Dan" and was hung up with a quick hang up without a hello. I guess he was still munching on a bagel and coffee...

Anyway the last document I can find on the net is from 2001 and its borderline ridiculous. So here goes

1. if I am in a historic area, that does not have the original architecture, would I be able to change a wood gate to a cast iron gate and

2. Would I be able to go from wood stairs to masonry without having to kiss the town's ring in 2014?

Please let me know what you have heard and ...

PS please keep it serious and do not attach it to the best JC thread of all time.

Thanks,
Joe

Posted on: 2014/7/18 0:03
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017