Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Contractor for replacing thru-wall unit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Most likely your condo has rules about which contractors are acceptable. Also they likely have a list of models that are acceptable. Ask a doorman about this. If there is no doorman, check with the condo board.

Now, as for the more efficient heating, - the heat you get from your unit comes from two sources: (a) the energy it draws from the electrical wires, (b) if it is a "heat pump" it can also "pump" some energy from the outside (if it is not too cold there).

You can't increase efficiency of the (a) part. I don't think that new units will be significantly better than a 10 year old one as heat pumps. So, don't plan on making it better by getting a new unit.

What you can do is to check for the drafts.

Thanks for the tech run-down; I'll also check for contractors that service AC equipment.

I'm on the Board, LOL. Our previous managing agent took no interest in running the building, so there is no preferred contractors list. Our new managing agent referred me to one contractor who'll replace, but not service, the unit. As a Board member my one restriction would be to require a unit that could be installed in the existing wall penetration, so as not to disrupt the visual unity of the facade or risk damage to whatever waterproofing is in place.

Posted on: 2014/7/7 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Most likely your condo has rules about which contractors are acceptable. Also they likely have a list of models that are acceptable. Ask a doorman about this. If there is no doorman, check with the condo board.

Now, as for the more efficient heating, - the heat you get from your unit comes from two sources: (a) the energy it draws from the electrical wires, (b) if it is a "heat pump" it can also "pump" some energy from the outside (if it is not too cold there).

You can't increase efficiency of the (a) part. I don't think that new units will be significantly better than a 10 year old one as heat pumps. So, don't plan on making it better by getting a new unit.

What you can do is to check for the drafts.

Posted on: 2014/7/6 3:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
My condo unit has a GE thru-wall electric heating/AC unit, and the AC has stopped working (I was considering getting it serviced, but it's at least 8 to 10 years old - and costs a fortune to run in heat mode - so maybe it's time to replace it with a more up-to-date, efficient unit).

Any recommendations for contractors? Thanks!

Do a google search with your units make and model number and the equivalent replacement units and contractors who sell and install them should come up.

Posted on: 2014/7/5 16:15

Contractor for replacing thru-wall unit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
My condo unit has a GE thru-wall electric heating/AC unit, and the AC has stopped working (I was considering getting it serviced, but it's at least 8 to 10 years old - and costs a fortune to run in heat mode - so maybe it's time to replace it with a more up-to-date, efficient unit).

Any recommendations for contractors? Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/7/5 14:51

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017