Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
60 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 60

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Keeping a reproduction musket in JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
in my opinion, hand forged flintlock smooth bore muzzle loading firearms would be the only firearms the 2nd amendment allows civilians to own. I agree with those calling for you to render them inert. Its highly unlikely they are going to get stolen and used in a crime, but to protect yourself from fines or arrest its the way I would go if it was me.

Posted on: 2014/2/17 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
The rules are different for handguns vs. pistols. This is a quick summary:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_New_Jersey

Posted on: 2014/2/17 11:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
That is a big if. To me, it seems like they passed to his mom as joint property through marriage, so he doesn't get the bequest safe harbor. They would have had to be given specifically to him through a written will to count. And with firearms, the technicalities are what land you in jail.

Posted on: 2014/2/17 5:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
My late father made several reproduction 18th century muskets from kits. The were working reproductions (my mother no longer has the musket balls, flints, or gun powder) and we had them hanging in my childhood home, mainly for decoration.

Now that dad is gone, my sister and are thinking of keeping one each - can anyone advise if this is legal in JC? How would I find out? Thanks!

If the firearms were bequeathed to you by your late father, then you are the legal owner already. You don't need a permit for the transfer of said firearms. Not only is this true federally, but this is also true in NJ as well.

FEDERAL LAW:

Title 18 ? Part I ? Chapter 44 ? ? 922

18 USC ? 922 - Unlawful acts

(a) It shall be unlawful?

(3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter;

(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to
(A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and
(B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes

NJ STATE STATUTE:

NJS 2C:58-3j. Firearms passing to heirs or legatees. Notwithstanding any other provision of this section concerning the transfer, receipt or acquisition of a firearm, a permit to purchase or a firearms purchaser identification card shall not be required for the passing of a firearm upon the death of an owner thereof to his heir or legatee, whether the same be by testamentary bequest or by the laws of intestacy. The person who shall so receive, or acquire said firearm shall, however, be subject to all other provisions of this chapter. If the heir or legatee of such firearm does not qualify to possess or carry it, he may retain ownership of the firearm for the purpose of sale for a period not exceeding 180 days, or for such further limited period as may be approved by the chief law enforcement officer of the municipality in which the heir or legatee resides or the superintendent, provided that such firearm is in the custody of the chief law enforcement officer of the municipality or the superintendent during such period.

Posted on: 2014/2/17 4:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Wouldn't it be easier to just make them inert? They're reproductions so it's not like you're damaging an original. As far as for self-defense the Brits are much more sophisticated now so that musket is useless.

Posted on: 2014/2/17 4:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
They are firearms. You will need to have a permit.

Don't mess around with this. It can result in a multi-year prison sentence. Have your mom hold on to them if she can do so legally, while you and your sister each apply for a firearms permit. Then she can legally transfer it to you. It's not a pistol, so you don't need a purchase permit, like you need for each handgun.

Go talk to the people at the firearm permit office at Police HQ and ask very specific questions. Does you mom live in Jersey also? Are the muskets even legal for her to own? Firearms are governed by state law, but you have to apply in your home municipality.

Posted on: 2014/2/17 4:25

Keeping a reproduction musket in JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
My late father made several reproduction 18th century muskets from kits. The were working reproductions (my mother no longer has the musket balls, flints, or gun powder) and we had them hanging in my childhood home, mainly for decoration.

Now that dad is gone, my sister and are thinking of keeping one each - can anyone advise if this is legal in JC? How would I find out? Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/2/17 3:53

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017