Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: FDA: Imported spices can be tainted with rodent feces, insect fragments
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
This is why I only by USA grown products now. I will not buy any fruit or vegetable harvested in another country. I make a point to tell every manager at every grocery store that I shop at that I prefer USA produce and will not buy produce from other countries.

I also try to buy only USA made products. I have a relative who worked for a company that switched their production to China in the 90s (shoe business). She said it was really shocking to see what goes on over there. There is such a lack of regulation - you really have no idea what you are getting even despite all the assurances that standards are being followed. When the Chinese are contaminating their own baby food, you know there is a serious problem.

Production may be more expensive in the USA because we have laws and regulations and we don't employ slave labor, but I am now willing to pay the price.

+0.75% There are products made in the E-U that are better than the US equivalent (in My Elitist Opinion) and work regulations are as good or better than in the US. Would anyone be interested in a thread, similar to the Sourcing thread, that identified clothes, household items that you've found made in the US? I was pleasantly surprised by the number of men who responded to a reference to Allen-Edmonds.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 13:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
I use Frontier spices, which are both organic and authentic. They're steam pasteurized to remove pathogens. I also buy them in bulk, so I save a lot.

Posted on: 2013/11/3 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
This is why I only by USA grown products now. I will not buy any fruit or vegetable harvested in another country. I make a point to tell every manager at every grocery store that I shop at that I prefer USA produce and will not buy produce from other countries.

I also try to buy only USA made products. I have a relative who worked for a company that switched their production to China in the 90s (shoe business). She said it was really shocking to see what goes on over there. There is such a lack of regulation - you really have no idea what you are getting even despite all the assurances that standards are being followed. When the Chinese are contaminating their own baby food, you know there is a serious problem.

Production may be more expensive in the USA because we have laws and regulations and we don't employ slave labor, but I am now willing to pay the price.

Posted on: 2013/11/3 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Well, you want authentic and organic, don't complain if it is not been sterilized by boiling, irradiation, liberal application of antibiotics and so on.

Posted on: 2013/11/3 12:54

FDA: Imported spices can be tainted with rodent feces, insect fragments
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
FDA: Imported spices can be tainted with rodent feces, insect fragments

NEW JERSEY (MYFOXNY.COM) -
The Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning about spices from India. In a draft report, the FDA said almost 7 percent of spices they inspected over a three-year period between 2007 and 2010 were contaminated with salmonella, which of course can make people very sick. Insect fragments and animal hairs were found in 12 percent.

"Nearly all of the insects found in spice samples were stored product pests, indicating inadequate packing or storage conditions," the FDA said. "The presence of rodent hair without the root in spices generally is generally indicative of contamination by rodent feces."

The report said that imported spices were twice as like as other inspected foods to be contaminated.

We talked with a local grocer in Jersey City who said he keeps his spices sealed to keep food safe and throws out spices past their due date. Imported spices are one of the most popular items in his store.

The FDA said 14 known outbreaks have occurred around the world since 1973, causing almost 2,000 illnesses, many of which were in children.

Video:
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/23844816 ... nt-feces-insect-fragments

Posted on: 2013/11/1 3:26

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017