Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: construction on marin and columbus
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Haha...you must not know of all secret lots at RU

In any case...I was working in the city and then got a job in the burbs. I not only continued to renew my lease, but I now purchased in JC. I like it here that much.

I still want city and Hoboken access. I still want to roll out of bed and to the supermarket, the mall, etc. Can't do that in most NJ suburbs. And I'm single and childless. There is no incentive for me to live in those places. I know of lots of other people in the same boat.

I think the car argument cuts both ways; there are definitely people, like in the NYT article posted here a way back, that will drive to Target or Shop Rite or what have you despite living walking distance or easy PT access, just because they like driving or are lazy. I agree that we should not encourage that.

OTOH, until we get real as a state/region about PT- and we are probably the best nationally which is saying something, it won't be reasonable to ask people to give up their cars. Taking away parking or otherwise disincentivising doesn't help. I will still need to drive to work and see my family, and I'll just be more annoyed and poorer when doing so, which helps no one.

What would help would be more 24-7 transportation, expanding the current system, or at least making it more reliable. The gaps in PATH or HBLR service are sometimes 30+ minutes which is ridiculous. However bad the traffic is around here, it's almost never 30 minutes of straight sitting. Nevermind the shutdowns or NJT.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
The other portion of this is that many of the decks connected to apartment buildings are actually public decks and they are rarely, if ever full.

We also have the lot behind city hall, a couple on Columbus, the deck off Hamilton park (by Marin), the mall lot, which is used by commuters.

http://www.kannekt.com/15/71parki.htm

Posted on: 2013/4/26 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Of course people who work in the suburbs will be more likely to drive to work than take public transit. But somebody who works in the suburbs must be faced with the question, "Is Jersey City the right place to live if I work in the suburbs"?

I'm not saying Jersey City or the outer boroughs are comparable to Manhattan, but how many people who live in Manhattan work in the suburbs? Not many, because it's a pain in the neck to do that commute.

By the way, I take the train to all the Rutgers football games in the fall, and it is typically much faster than the times I've carpooled. Getting out of those parking lots could take 60 minutes! Totally crazy if you ask me. The train is fast, and you can enjoy a nice beer while you travel.

When I first moved to JC 7 years ago, I was very reliant on having a car, because that's all I knew...it was my safety net. I moved here from the suburbs. Now I look back at how crazy I was, spending anywhere from 10-45 minutes EVERY NIGHT moving my car around for alternate side parking. All that, to use the thing maybe twice a month? Completely insane. It took me a couple of years to realize that it's more of a PIA to have a car here than to not. Just look at how hard it is to get out of Hudson County by car, it is such a nightmare unless it's very late at night. I'd much rather be sitting and relaxing on a train. But I understand that everybody has their preferences. It's just that I think more and more, you're going to start seeing people move to JC who prefer to not have a car.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Part of the problem is that JC doesn't have its own garages like Hoboken. There, if you leave between 9-5 it's only $140/month which solves two problems.

I think some people think with walkability cars will just go away. That doesn't take into account people who work in the burbs or who otherwise need or want a car. The city has to be proactive.

I'm not sure that this is the right way of thinking. As the density of all the areas surrounding Manhattan increases, any remaining reliance on cars will continue to decrease. As the trend towards abandoning car ownership increases, why should Jersey City, or developers who build in JC, invest in adding more parking, versus development that is built around the type of individual who has no interest in owning a car and driving?

Because not everything is acessible via PATH or MTA. Places in BK and Queens have garages as well.

What is the solution for people who work south or west of Newark? There is no bus or train within probably 2+ miles of my office nor where most of my family lives and where many of my friends live.

Even to go to Rutgers games or the beach, NJT is overpriced and unreliable.

I don't use a car to get around JC or Hoboken unless I'm carrying something heavy. But not all of my life's activities are limited to NYC and Hudson County, and I'm sure that's the same for everyone who grew up in the burbs and settled around here.

Hoboken isn't car friendly- but having public garages recognizes that residents have cars and visitors often come with them as well, and there's little than can be done about that without billions of investment into NJ infrastructure.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Part of the problem is that JC doesn't have its own garages like Hoboken. There, if you leave between 9-5 it's only $140/month which solves two problems.

I think some people think with walkability cars will just go away. That doesn't take into account people who work in the burbs or who otherwise need or want a car. The city has to be proactive.

I'm not sure that this is the right way of thinking. As the density of all the areas surrounding Manhattan increases, any remaining reliance on cars will continue to decrease. As the trend towards abandoning car ownership increases, why should Jersey City, or developers who build in JC, invest in adding more parking, versus development that is built around the type of individual who has no interest in owning a car and driving?

Posted on: 2013/4/26 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately, there was a suicide this morning...and they halt train service if someone gets sick on a train and that particular ly train can't move

Posted on: 2013/4/26 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Tyler wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
And people still think the PATH system can handle all this new volume as is??

NO!!!!! The Path is becoming a joke. A women got sick at Newport this morning and they shut the entire system down. WTF!

She got hit by the train.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/26 17:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 18:52
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

NO!!!!! The Path is becoming a joke. A women got sick at Newport this morning and they shut the entire system down. WTF!

Posted on: 2013/4/26 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/26 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

But the people that move into these towers with their parking garages will park on the local streets because they're too cheap to pay for parking in their building.

I think you're talking about the minority. I know 5 rentals in
such buildings, all of which own cars, and all of them park in their buildings. I know it's a small sample size, but 5 for 5 isn't bad. Maybe you have more reliable numbers.

There are people who choose to not pay for parking or their building doesn't have any spaces available.
The bulk of Zone 4 from Morgan to Second and Marin to waterfront during the day is filled with those that work downtown on the waterfront. We have issues with lack of enforcement by Parking Authority with people coming in without Zone 4 permits parking all day. But JCPA does do a sweep every once in a while and nabs a lot of violations in a couple days. Many people park cars near the PATH entrances. it is very difficult for residents to find a parking spot during the day. But now it's becoming hard to find a place to park at night too. There are currently only two residential mid-rises in the area that don't have parking garages, but that will change soon with new construction and the future occupation of Butler Brothers Building. At night the streets are filling with cars from residents that live in Trump, A-Condos and 50 Columbus. When all the new construction is finished in a year or two... watch out. We'll never find a place to park.

Building // Address // units // parking // public or private garage // Zone? // PAD?

140 Bay // 140 Bay Street // 59 // 0 // n/a // Zone 4 // PAD
150 Bay // 150 Bay Street // 91 // 0 // n/a // Zone 4 // PAD
A Condos // 389 Washington Street/2nd St // 250 // 238 // private // no zone
Ivy House // 154 Steuben Street // 18 // 18 // private // no zone
Morgan Lighthouse // 143 Morgan Street // 45 // 40 // private (30K to buy) // Zone 4
Morgan Lofts * // 142 Steuben St // 36 // 36 // private // no zone
Portofino // 1 Second Street // 283 // 299 // private // Zone 4
Trump Plaza // 88 Morgan Street // 445 // 696 // $225/$190 day monthly // no zone
Trump Plaza II // 88 Morgan Street // 431 // 0 // $225/$190 day monthly // no zone // Planned
Harbor side Lot 6&7 // 200 Greene Street (Block 11603, Lot 31) // 1267 // 430 // no zone // Under construction soon
Waldo Lofts // 159 Second Street // 82 // 40 // private // Zone 4 // PAD
Washington Commons // 311 Washington Street // 68 // 46 // private // Zone 4 // PAD
110 First Street // 452 // 343 // Zone 4 // PAD // Under construction
111 First Street // 710 // 700 // Zone 4 // PAD // Planned
Demi-Skye Lofts @ Marin 1 // 364 Marin Blvd // 28 // 20 // Zone 4 // PAD // Planned
Morgan Point // Morgan/Steuben/Marin // 78 // 31 // Zone 4 // PAD
Montgomery Greene // 39 Montgomery Street // 112 // 100 // Zone 4
Crystal Point // 2 Second Street // 269 // 275 // $200 special/private // Zone 4
Mandalay // 20 Second Street // 269 // 269 // private // Zone 4
The Gotham // 255 Warren Street/York St // 220 // 220 // $192/resident // Zone 4
Millenium Home? // 254 Warren Street/York St // 139 104 // Zone 4 // Under construction
Provost Square // Toll Brothers // 925 // 960 // Zone 4 // PAD // Under construction
Toll Brothers Workforce housing // 91 Bay St/Marin // 32 // 0 // n/a // Zone 4 // PAD // Planned
Butler Bros. Bldg // 350 Warren Street // +/-400 // 0 // n/a // Zone 4 // PAD // Planned development
"Harbor Lights" // 160 -168 First St. & 169-173 Second St. // 212 // 43 // Zone 4 // PAD // Planned development
Shuster // 148 First Street // 99 // 0 // Zone 4 // PAD // Under construction

TOTALS 7,020 units 4,908 parking spaces = 2,000+ cars potentially in need of on-street parking

And just outside of Zone 4 don't forget these high-rises...
Marbella // 425 Washington Blvd/4th St // // 412 // 423 // $175/private // no zone
Marbella II // 110 Second St // 235 // 0 // no zone // construction to begin soon
Grove Pointe // 100 Newark Ave // 525 // 597 // no zone
50 Columbus // 50 Columbus Drive // 400 // 950 // $200/resident-$225/non // no zone
70 Columbus Dr // Rental // 542 // 320 // no zone // construction to begin soon
70 Columbus Dr Hotel // 144 // 0 // no zone // construction to begin soon
90 Columbus Dr Rental // 400 // 0 // no zone // construction to begin soon

And these people are also walking to the PATH at Grove, Exchange and Newport.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 16:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 18:52
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
a 99 unit called Ocean Towers already sits on Ocean ave.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Where exactly on Ocean would this building be constructed. Only way I can imagine this being built is if were really close to a light rail station.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I can understand towers in/around JSQ, but I don't get towers at Ocean Hll. what am I missing?

Posted on: 2013/4/26 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Part of the reasons for towers in JC are the views. JSQ especially strikes me as a place with a tower that would have awesome views of the NYC skyline.

Also the obvious is that there is less space.

People move to JC and the outerboroughs partly in many cases for cheaper and easier parking. That is why buildings have garages. The garages in many cases are too costly. If they are going to have them they should mandate realistic prices to make sure they are used.

Also Hamilton Park is an area where there are limits on high buildings because of the historical designation. If other areas want it they should seek it.

However a place like Ocean or certain blocks in JSQ are likely not going to get that because they are in disrepair.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
I forget the exact wording, but there is a maximum of the footprint that can be taken up by a single tower.

Floor Area Ratio / Floor Space Ratio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floor_area_ratio

Also not helping the architectural design of these buildings is the city allowing parking. These buildings really need to be down to under half a space per unit or fewer.

Trust me the city is trying on that. They don't have it in the zoning yet but they push for as little parking as possible, but in their defense, it is really, really hard to get financing for a big building that doesn't have a lot of parking. It's the same reason apartments are getting built instead of condos, financing.

Heck even the builders in JC often want less parking and have to up it to get financing. They wind up with less units and empty parking spaces but it is what the lenders want.

They could do a much better job of having them hide the parking though.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

But the people that move into these towers with their parking garages will park on the local streets because they're too cheap to pay for parking in their building.

I think you're talking about the minority. I know 5 rentals in such buildings, all of which own cars, and all of them park in their buildings. I know it's a small sample size, but 5 for 5 isn't bad. Maybe you have more reliable numbers.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
I forget the exact wording, but there is a maximum of the footprint that can be taken up by a single tower.

Floor Area Ratio / Floor Space Ratio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floor_area_ratio

Also not helping the architectural design of these buildings is the city allowing parking. These buildings really need to be down to under half a space per unit or fewer.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/25 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:

All the towers are skinny with a large base because the towers have to be skinny because of zoning. You can squeeze in two towers, but you can't have one large width tower.

This is why we wind up with a huge base and two smaller towers, where in a lot of areas you would have the large base and one tower.

Where in zoning rules says you have to have skinny towers?

I thought the towers were skinny so the developer creates a private pool or garden on top of the ugly parking bases. Something the public will ever enjoy - we get to see the 24-hour lighting illuminating from the parking garages.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
What I find most disappointing is that time and time again with these towers, there are missed opportunities to liven up the streetscape with retail facing the street/sidewalk.

Particularly glaring in this example is the Steuben Street side of the building, which appears to be completely closed off from the sidewalk/street. There is some retail, but not enough for a building of this size.

Maybe there is something architecturally that I do not understand, but this doesn't make sense to me at all, having buildings completely shut off from the rest of the world.

The one that kills me the most is the J.sq project that is adjacent to HCCC. It would be a building that sits atop a hill, with no other buildings or objects obstructing it and could possibly be seen for miles all around and the developer chooses to have it no different from the Monaco or the other proposed J.sq projects.

Its kind of why I am a little happy it never got built. I'm hoping someday in the future they change their plans or another developer comes along an realizes that.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 18:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 20:51
Group:
Registered Users
User1111,

Do you have additional information on the Ocean Avenue project you mentioned?

Posted on: 2013/4/25 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

It has to do with the zoning laws, which right now require the towers to be pretty skinny.

It also has to do with the cost of construction in an urban area, which is very high, to be profitable you have to build higher. That's why there are no new low rise buildings being built in the central districts.

Let me be a bit more specific (I don't disagree with the above, but it was not my point).

All the towers are skinny with a large base because the towers have to be skinny because of zoning. You can squeeze in two towers, but you can't have one large width tower.

This is why we wind up with a huge base and two smaller towers, where in a lot of areas you would have the large base and one tower.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks all these new buildings with two towers and a large base designs are getting to be old?

It has to do with the zoning laws, which right now require the towers to be pretty skinny.

It also has to do with the cost of construction in an urban area, which is very high, to be profitable you have to build higher. That's why there are no new low rise buildings being built in the central districts.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Maybe there is something architecturally that I do not understand, but this doesn't make sense to me at all, having buildings completely shut off from the rest of the world.

Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks all these new buildings with two towers and a large base designs are getting to be old?

This is the Jersey City way, when Country Village, PL, SH, and the golf course were empty undeveloped land it was all a part of GV now that they are shut off and closed to the public they are no longer apart of the area, IMO is bullshit.

Everyone that works for the redevelopment agency are friends of friends of politicians with no real skills for redevelopment. When you look at places like Williamsburg you do not find closed off buildings or street that you no longer have access to. Only here were hacks are redeveloping for the right price.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
What I find most disappointing is that time and time again with these towers, there are missed opportunities to liven up the streetscape with retail facing the street/sidewalk.

Particularly glaring in this example is the Steuben Street side of the building, which appears to be completely closed off from the sidewalk/street. There is some retail, but not enough for a building of this size.

Quote:

Prismatic wrote:

Posted on: 2013/4/25 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:

No you are not, they are trying to build a 40 story building on Ocean, some developer wants to change the zoning laws over here. They want to build it that high to take advantage of the NYC skyline. Me and my neighbors plan to fight it every step of the way. I am also for development but not huge market rate buildings that mirrors a housing project. I think development should stay true to the existing area.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:

Posted on: 2013/4/25 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
So glad I got out of downtown last summer after being there for 17 years. This over-development is really out of hand. I'm all for improvements, but sheesh!! The PATH system and parking/traffic is already way over-loaded.

Glad you are happy where you now live, but I wouldn't call the concept of building on empty lots "overdevelopment". I think most people would rather see intelligent development in place of empty lots. This is a city. And regarding overcrowding...the Path will be fine.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/25 16:11

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017