Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Neighborhood Feral Cat Initiative 2013 TNR Workshops
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Yes these cats are covered. You will only pay a $10 per cat co-pay. Each cat is neutered, eartipped, rabies vaccinated and distemper vaccinated.

Please email cat@companionanimaltrust.org or call 201 884 9649 to reserve a seat for the workshop. There is a workshop this Saturday, March 23. Next one is April 27.

Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
So Carol,

I actually have a female and 3 males that need to
be spayed/netuered.

Will the grant money cover this? I would like
to get going on this. They are all within a colony
I take care of.

Looking forward to your reply.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
So Carol,

I actually have a female and 3 males that need to
be spayed/netuered.

Will the grant money cover this? I would like
to get going on this. They are all within a colony
I take care of.

Looking forward to your reply.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
This is the only way to stop the mass breeding. I admire the work Carol and so many other do. Kudos to all of them.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 10:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/10 2:34
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
We did this for a small colony (three cats) in our yard a couple years ago. The grant wasn't in effect, and it cost about $50 a cat to have them spayed/neutered and get them rabies shots. It was free to borrow traps. I believe the grant reduces the cost of the spaying/neutering to zero. However, the main reason I'm posting is to say what a good experience we had with the Neighborhood Feral Cat Initiative, and especially Carol. I was impressed with the professionalism and caring nature of the FCI folks. We looked to them because we felt bad for these poor, scraggly cats in our backyard. Now they are healthy and almost a bit chubby (we feed them and built them little -- and cheap -- winter houses) and they are territorial, so no other cats come through. Totally worth the effort for the reduced nuisance and to see these ferals be healthy and happy.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
Is the grant money that you receive for all cats that can be trapped and then spayed or neutered? What is the cost to get a cat spayed/neutered and shots? There is a cat in my neighborhood that I would like to get spayed.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 0:43

Neighborhood Feral Cat Initiative 2013 TNR Workshops
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
The Neighborhood Feral Cat Initiative, a program of Companion Animal Trust, will begin its fifth year of feral cat advocacy and Trap-Neuter-Return training in 2013.

The scheduled 2013 monthly Trap-Neuter-Return training workshops will be held from 12 noon to 3 pm in Downtown Jersey City on the following dates:

March 23, April 27, May 18, June 15, July 13, August 10, September 7 and October 5.

Attendees will learn the steps in setting up a managed cat colony including establishing good community relations, feeding, building and placing shelters, arranging vet care, safely handling feral cats, and trapping. All attendees will become TNR certified and Hudson County residents will gain access to low cost spay/neuter and trap rentals. Funding is made possible through grants and private donations.

Reservations are required as is a $10 fee payable the day of the class. Call 201-884-9649 to reserve your seat.

The Neighborhood Feral Cat Initiative program was launched in February 2009 to raise public awareness about the community feral cat crisis and to provide practical ways to deal with the issue through Trap-Neuter-Return training workshops. Since that time, over 350 Hudson County residents have become TNR certified and over 1,700 feral cats have been spayed and neutered.

Feral cats are free-roaming cats that are untamed and unsuitable for adoption. If left alone, they keep reproducing and can become a neighborhood nuisance prompting well-meaning community members to call animal control to take care of them. However, this just means that the cats are removed and killed, prompting new cats to take over the territory.

In the process of Trap-Neuter-Return the cat is humanely trapped, then transported to a vet where it is spayed or neutered, ear tipped and rabies vaccinated. Then the cat is released back to its original outdoor location and managed by a caregiver. The benefits of TNR to the community are many including:

? A caregiver manages the colony and maintains a clean environment through controlled feeding.
? TNR will permanently reduce the colony size through attrition.
? Nuisance behaviors such as male spraying and fighting are dramatically reduced resulting in less calls to Animal Control
? Less cats and kittens are brought to an overburdened shelter resulting in reduced costs associated with housing and euthanasia

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp ... gs_photos/CAT_gen2013.jpg

Posted on: 2013/3/10 1:35

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017