Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
147 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Astor Place Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I don't live on Astor, nor have I ever lived there, but I have travelled the area often (on my car and bike) and I will second JC_Livin's assertion about cars speeding down Astor. I am not sure why that is, either. Perhaps the relative seclusion ensures lack of police cruisers looking for speedsters (as if) but people definitely drive fast into and out of Astor Place. The corner of Astor and Summit is definitely one where to watch carefully for vehicular traffic.

Posted on: 2012/12/12 16:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
I'll send you a PM about where I am now.

I don't have kids, but I'd have to say that I wouldn't be too concerned with them playing in a fenced back yard during the day. But I'd be a little concerned.

Re: school spill-over, which half of Astor are you looking at? The half closer to Summit or the half closer to Monticello? I imagine it's the half closer to Summit. That's the half I lived on. I never saw any students from the school. Not ever. I did see a lot of people hanging out around the school on the weekends getting wasted. I was never bothered by this, but seriously, be prepared for falling-down drunk people at like 10:00am on Monticello & Astor. They were always very nice and polite, and didn't bother me at all, but again, no kids so...

Posted on: 2012/12/11 19:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/12/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
JC_Livin - do you mind if I ask what block (or around about) you are living now? You mentioned you liked it better and it's quieter.

Posted on: 2012/12/11 19:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Transportation isn't too much of a concern as I will be dropping my husband off at the PATH on my way to school drop off every morning and picking him up in the evening. Safety is the main concern. Would you trust your children playing in the fenced in backyard freely during daytime and evening hours with no concern what so ever?

It's seems as though many of the homes on the block have been bought and renovated, a sign of change, normally.

How much spill over from the school is there onto the block in the afternoon? I know it's not known to be a very safe school.

Posted on: 2012/12/11 19:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
I lived on Astor Place from Spring of 2010 until the end of summer 2011. It's a beautiful neighborhood, people are lovely, but when it comes to feeling/being safe, that's a really subjective thing. As you know, random crime can happen anywhere, at anytime. I would be very surprised if you had anyone bother you or your children on Astor Place during the daytime. However, my bike was stolen part by part while chained up inside the fence in our front garden. Of course it was just a low garden fence with no lock, but still, the space invasion is weird. Once I came home from a night out at about 4:00am and the bike was fine. By the time I woke up at 8:00am, the back wheel was gone (not quick-release). I didn't really like the bike much, which is why I continued to leave it out front. A neighbor told me that some of his bikes were stolen out of his backyard, which had no alley and was surrounded by a 6-foot fence. Our garbage cans were stolen over and over again. Also, cars tend to go really fast down Astor. Never could figure out why, but if you move there, be careful your kids don't play in the street. There are a lot of people on that street that have been there for years and care deeply for the neighborhood and each other. I moved just a few blocks away and it's much more anonymous -- which I happen to prefer -- so it all just depends on what you're looking for.

I would have to say I did not find it "super quiet." There's a lot of people who hang out, laugh, play their radios in the front yard, which is all fine and dandy, but I found it kind of loud, actually. There was a neighbor a few houses away whose kid would set up the TV and video game console in the backyard in the summer and play it super loud. I mean, so loud it sounded like an action movie was being filmed there. And a neighbor whose yard bordered ours that played the same 30 seconds of a song over and over and over while become more and more intoxicated pretty much everyday. I live on a much busier street now, and before I moved I was worried it would be a lot louder than Astor Place. In fact, it is much, much quieter.

Another thing to consider when moving there is upkeep. Most of those places are so old, and they are beautiful, but keeping them maintained can be a fortune. Oh, also, I have lived nearby since I moved from Astor, and I have to say almost all of the houses that were for sale when I moved to the neighborhood in 2010 are still for sale now. Not sure what that means, if anything, but I would be very worried about unloading property in the area. Seems like there just aren't a lot of takers.

Best of luck.

Posted on: 2012/12/11 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Try to spend some significant time in the area. And, also, try doing some every day tasks like walking to a nearby store, dry cleaners, etc.

I can certainly understand the appeal. There is some lovely housing stock in the area.

If your family's safety is your number one concern, spending time in the area will help you figure out whether you can deal with the shadier aspects. Also, I consider the proximity of the nearby high school a downer.

I was seriously looking at a house in the neighborhood, but one Saturday afternoon I went by and there was music blasting from the next door neighbor (this directly contradicts another person's post, but this was my reality). So, rather than worry about it, I passed on the house.

Also, as pointed out, public trans from there is not particularly easy and the buses leave something to be desired. For me an important factor is easy proximity to PATH.

Finding a reasonable neighborhood with good prices is quite a trick in Jersey City, but I thik it can be done.

Good luck with your search.

Posted on: 2012/12/11 19:36
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have looked at two brownstones in the area a year ago, but decided to pass since there isn't allot of transportation near by. I love the block, and they have a real tight block association.
I was told by one of the owners the reason why it looks so great they have very low amount of renters in the area. Its mostly home owners that actually live in the property.

The neighbor hood is mixed it gets shady and sketchy at night over on Monticello but for the most part the area is absolutely gorgeous. I think its one of the prettiest areas in JC and then Bentley over in Journal Square (which also has no real transportation) comes in 2nd. It is super quite there also, so if you don't like noise this is a great spot. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2012/12/11 19:22

Astor Place Jersey City

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Me and my husband are considering buying on Astor Place. I have read one other post regarding the area, though it was dated 2010. I was wondering if anyone had some updated information, has the block improved? We currently rent in a nice area but are being pushed out by increasing rents and purchase prices are astronomical :(

My husband is a working professional in Manhattan and I am a stay at home mom (Therefore I will be home all day). We have two children one school aged (will not be attending school on the area) and the other is a toddler.

We are both young and are looking for the opportunity to buy a home with the space our family requires. We can not afford downtown :( The properties on Astor offer what we are looking for for the price we can afford. We are also investors and are hoping the property will appreciate in 5+ years.

I love the block and we have visited numerous times. My family's safety is my main concern. Although we will not be walking around the neighborhood much, I will be home alone many days, in and out running errands and my children will be playing in the backyard often.

Any information provided would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on: 2012/12/11 19:12

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017