Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC graffiti artist KAWS, one of his iconic characters is joining the ranks of Macy's Parade.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/7 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
LET ME GUESS... ALL OF YOU ARE BORING.

Posted on: 2012/12/21 20:15

Re: JC graffiti artist KAWS, one of his iconic characters is joining the ranks of Macy's Parade.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Dang .. JC gets no mention on NBC.

They said KAWS was born in NJ and works out of the Bronx.

(where are those darts!)

Posted on: 2012/11/22 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah interesting I wonder if he had to pay any fines for his past ?works of art?. I see he does do some giving back with art lessons, etc.

Hey Brian I heard you may still have family ties to JC. In light of what happened to JC with Sandy how about doing something for JC? Donate one of your early bus station pieces so it can be auctioned off for a few hundred thousand. If you didn?t have JC as your canvas as a kid (well ok and your amazing talent) you may have just wound up like this guy?..(tagging Path trains with a magic marker at an age of 25)....

Man accused of being PATH graffiti vandal

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
on November 21, 2012 at 3:00 AM,
updated November 21, 2012 at 3:01AM

Port Authority police officers patrolling PATH?s Journal Square to 33rd Street line arrested a man they found writing graffiti on Sunday and they are trying to determine whether he is responsible for previous graffiti, officials said.

At 8 a.m., officers found Sachem Lopez, 25, of Roselle Park, defacing the interior of a new PATH train car, Port Authority spokesman Steve Coleman said. Police found Lopez was carrying suspected drugs and a drug possession charge was added, Coleman said.

JJ piece?

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... d_as_path_graffiti_v.html

Posted on: 2012/11/21 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
sea kaws

Posted on: 2012/11/11 6:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
It would be great if someone 'tags' his balloon or throws a dart at it - This guy would have cost a lot of money to property owners and cityhall repairing all his 'tagging' as a youth.
Ass-wipes like this should not be promoted, but forced to reimburse all those people's property he tagged with any money made now.

Posted on: 2012/11/11 5:45
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

JC graffiti artist KAWS, one of his iconic characters is joining the ranks of Macy's Parade.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(I don't like that the guy was a JC ?tagger? but he is one interesting dude $$$. Also a sick looking balloon.)

(from WSJ)

Up in the Air

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/im ... 111_OZ_20121023230643.jpg

Photography by Andrew Rowat
MAIDEN VOYAGE | The Macy's balloon version of Companion, one of Donnelly's recurring characters, photographed during a test flight in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Hired by the sort of luxury brands he once defaced, former graffiti artist KAWS found international fame as a painter and toy maker?and now one of his iconic characters is joining the ranks of Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

BRIAN DONNELLY, THE 37-YEAR-OLD PAINTER, designer and master collaborator who goes by the handle KAWS?a name he began tagging on walls, billboards and trains as a teenager in his hometown of Jersey City, New Jersey, because, he says, he liked how those letters looked together?has, for perhaps too long now, been tagged as a street artist. Donnelly certainly got his start that way. Long before he could sell a group of paintings for $315,000, as he did earlier this year at the Paris-based Galerie Perrotin's inaugural Asian show in Hong Kong, or float an enormous balloon of his own design in this month's Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?an honor previously bestowed on only four other living artists (Jeff Koons, Takashi Murakami, Tom Otterness and Tim Burton)?Donnelly toiled in grittier territory. His work was no less public.

In the 1990s, he put his elaborate KAWS signature on roadside ads and across the lengths of Union Pacific freight cars. Beginning in '96, Donnelly would break into bus-stop and phone-booth poster cases, lift the ads?a glossy Calvin Klein underwear?clad Christy Turlington, for example?and take them back to his studio, where he would touch them up with Chromacolour paint, editorializing over the existing message with characters that quickly became recOgnizable on the street as his own. Donnelly's subversive approach had an insider's motive: "I wanted people to think what I did was part of the ad campaign," he said in a 2004 interview. "I painted with no brush strokes, clean and unobtrusive, as if it was part of the ad." Rather than being vilified, Donnelly was rewarded. Realizing that powerful creative direction could come from the street, major brands responded to Donnelly by commissioning more art. "In the beginning," says Donnelly, "I thought if a company came calling, it would be with a lawsuit."

Under the KAWS banner, Donnelly has designed an album cover for Kanye West and detailed a Porsche for Pharrell Williams, who admits to being a KAWS obsessive. ("I can't even count how many pieces I have," he says.) Other commissions have found Donnelly printing graphics on Comme des Gar?ons wallets and applying his signature touches to a limited-edition pair of Marc Jacobs flats. More recently, KAWS has earned acclaim as a contemporary painter, producing large-scale canvases that nod to the surrealistic style of the Chicago Imagists. Amping up the playfully saturated palette of animation, the work reimagines popular cartoon characters?the Simpsons, SpongeBob SquarePants?in a visual language that's become increasingly fragmented and abstract. Emmanuel Perrotin, Donnelly's gallerist (the latest KAWS exhibition opens at Galerie Perrotin, in Paris, on November 3) likens the artist to Andy Warhol for his prolific collaborations and to Takashi Murakami for his concern with sculpture of all sizes.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001 ... 135710.html#ixzz2Br5Oy6Or

Posted on: 2012/11/10 21:05

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017