Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Jersey City's last CD/DVD/Record Store going out of business
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
What a long day. Thanks to the JClisters who showed up and picked up something, it was nice to put some faces to names for a change.

Posted on: 2012/2/1 5:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I was happy to pick up a bargin Bruce CD for less than $8 bucks, it was his greatest hits album. I played it in my car all the way home. It's too bad this place will be gone, oh well that's life.

Posted on: 2012/2/1 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Hey cory I was just there. I see you got rid of the Simon and Garfunkle LP..nice. Well at least I picked up a $5 Meatloaf Bat out of Hell CD to replace my cassette version.

I told that guy Ron he should sell all of the leftover posters and crap to a guy over by NJCU. I couldn?t think of his name ..here it is?

This is his web site?.

http://site.thriftiques.com

The place has everything?milk cartons of old records, CD?a and DVD?s. Poster?s..everything! Yes even a few kitchen sinks.

You can probably set something up with him instead of just dumping the stuff.

Posted on: 2012/2/1 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
That was The Partridge Family's "Doesn't Somebody Want to be Wanted?", followed by Edison Lighthouse's "Love Grows where my Rosemary Goes" as K-Billy's SuperSounds of the 70's weekend just keeps on... truckin'.

Posted on: 2012/1/31 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Oops ..I thought corybraiterman was your stage (jclist) name.

Funny I have been down at the store many times and didn?t know it was you.

I had my eye on that Simon and Garfunkle LP for a while and no I am NOT the creepy guy that stands in the back looking at the posters. Although that LaToya promotional display cloth poster did get my motor running.

PS ? my real name is not neverleft.

Posted on: 2012/1/31 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
uh... I'm Cory, not Ron. I'm the guy on the left ringing up the lady in one of the pictures

Posted on: 2012/1/31 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Sad day for JC another store gone.

Hey cory are you Ron or the other guy in the pictures?

PS - Good luck , hope you have something else lined up for yourself.

Posted on: 2012/1/31 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, here's the article from NJ.com
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... s_record_store_at_hu.html

Last day's today folks, speak now or forever, etc.

Posted on: 2012/1/31 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Yea I remember all that. Two Guys, Bradlees, Shop Rite, Consumers, the video game store outside by Burger King, Mickey Roonie Weinie World Hotdogs, Vilagios pizza.

Posted on: 2012/1/31 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LoKo498 wrote:
I didn't know the mall opened in 76. I'd like to see some pics if anyone has any of what it looked like back then.
Or even a listing of the stores in there as they came and went.

Try the New Jersey Room at the main public library or maybe we can get a grass roots effort for photos of that era from people that used to live there. I believe it was an open plaza prior to the 1976 enclosed version. The one of the stores prior to '76 were Robert Hall Clothing. Two Guys and Shop Rite were there as well. The area always got flooded as the 440 Shopper bus arrived into the area of what is now known as the Hudson Mall. Back then it was another option for people outside of that neighborhood to take the bus down there. It was a change of scene and also to get out for the day.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Who wouldn?t want to shop at this beautiful mall..

www.shophudsonmall.com

I think Hudson Plaza opened around 1970. If you look on the mall layout in the above link. The original outdoor strip plaza/mall started at Hudson Cinema (which was at one time a nice place to see a movie) and I think ended at Wonder Nails by the bathrooms.

Most foot traffic now seems to be at the few stores with in the front entrance, Nathans, Popeye?s, Game Stop, Pizza Plus, Subway, and the Bank. It?s like a mall with in a mall. Those ?front? shoppers must be forced to use the side entrances!!!

I once wrote a letter to the mall owners. I told them to seal off the front entrance so as to force people to enter the side mall entrances. If they didn?t go for it I also suggested installing Pedestrian spike strips at the main entrance. Like the things they have in parking lots. Once you go in you can?t come out the same way. I am sure everyone would abide by the strip. No one wants a pair of scuffed Jordan?s ?would you?

Anyone remember the candy store?I think it was Al Richard?s they are in Bayonne now?

www.alrichardschocolates.com

(any old-timers correct me)

Posted on: 2012/1/30 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure which other furniture store you might be talking about. There's a sleepy's outside in its own store. Jennifer Convertibles closed a few months ago. There's a new place called Decor Home that I would assume is going to go out of business in a few months. Are you thinking of the small Tchothkies store that sells Feng Shui junk? Yea they're still here. No clue how they pay their bills either, since I never see anyone in the store (I covered this earlier).

Posted on: 2012/1/30 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't kno the mall opened in 76. Id like to see some pics if anyone has any of what it looked like back then.
Or even a listing of the stores in there as they came and went.
I do remember when they built toys r us tho :)
The chinese food place did suck tho :)
It wasn't castle furniture, the place it still there I believe.
Yea I was thinking of Ed from WOW. How's his bro I believe, I think he had the fish store in bayonne he opened many years ago.
And the cell phone stand... Yea that used to get hit up like weekly on the overnights by the mall securtiy staff and the maint staff. Even happened when they put in them "hidden" cameras.
Maybe they finally stopped. Lol

Posted on: 2012/1/30 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

LoKo498 wrote:
But yea I remember the WOW records from when I was a kid. Yea I used to pickup all the new casettes when they first came out and then vinyl when I used to DJ.
Well good luck with the sale & hopefully u guys can move on somewhere better!!!
Hey, isn't someone from the old WOW records still working there or is it still WOW records but under a new name?

What was the original name of the record store, was it WOW ? Will there be a chance of a relocation for Supersounds ?

It used to be TSG Records or something when the mall first opened in '76 as an enclosed mall. It changed to Wow records in '82 and Supersounds in I believe '03.

No, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the owner doesn't wish to be in a non-mall situation for traffic and security reasons, and Newport is far too expensive.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LoKo498 wrote:
Like the old navy, after goin in there, who wants go go back thru another entrance into that mall.
There's really nothing goin on in there anymore to attract anyone.

Yup
Quote:
Atleast there used to be a rite aid in there and the chinese food place, that's not even there anymore.

That chinese place served some of the worst food I've ever eaten. Them leaving was not a bad thing.
Quote:

Or the arcade.
If old navy had a mall entrance like newport, I'm sure the entire mall would be in better financial shape.

It certainly wouldn't hurt. The arcade was one of the few reasons I would have to ever come here from all the way downtown when I was a kid.
Quote:
I wonder if that cell phone stand is still getting robbed daily by the mall security and the mall maintance.

I've never heard them complain about a robbery once in the ~6 years I've been here.
Quote:
And yea that overpriced furniture place that's been havin clearance forever!!!

Castle Furniture's been gone for some time now.
Quote:
But yea I remember the WOW records from when I was a kid. Yea I used to pickup all the new casettes when they first came out and then vinyl when I used to DJ.
Then I heard about stans and that other spot up jsq by the donut store, can't remember the name.
Its just there's nothing down that mall to attract anyone, even myself and I only live up the block from there.
Hey, isn't someone from the old WOW records still working there or is it still WOW records but under a new name?

Ed worked here for 26 years (Wow and Supersounds), but no longer does. He moved onto a different career this past fall.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yea I think it was always WOW.
I bought my first CD there when CDs came out in the 90s

Posted on: 2012/1/30 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
O yea, the rodeo steak house. I remember that. And the house of meats.
Wasn't that the store that had the basement?
I think it was the only store that had a basement.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LoKo498 wrote:

What was the original name of the record store, was it WOW ? Will there be a chance of a relocation for Supersounds ?

Posted on: 2012/1/30 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hudson Mall?
That's in jersey city?
I've heard of newport mall.
Is this place new?
NOOOO its an ancient mall where no one goes to anymore just cause its inconvient.
Like the old navy, after goin in there, who wants go go back thru another entrance into that mall.
There's really nothing goin on in there anymore to attract anyone.
Atleast there used to be a rite aid in there and the chinese food place, that's not even there anymore.
Or the arcade.
If old navy had a mall entrance like newport, I'm sure the entire mall would be in better financial shape.
I wonder if that cell phone stand is still getting robbed daily by the mall security and the mall maintance.
And yea that overpriced furniture place that's been havin clearance forever!!!
Then I heard about stans and that other spot up jsq by the donut store, can't remember the name.
Its just there's nothing down that mall to attract anyone, even myself and I only live up the block from there.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Let's put it this way. I'm not a lawyer, but police officers have been customers of ours for decades. We've had representatives from the record companies in the store every few quarters for I dunno how long. We've had musicians in the store. We've had radio DJs in the store. I'm pretty sure if there was anything wrong with those, we'd have heard about it.

I wish there was more media attention towards your store especially about the presence of the radio station DJs. I don't buy many albums/CDs but it would have given me an incentive to drop by there. The Hudson Mall has a relaxing feel to it, I wish the Bonanza/Rodeo steak house was still there. Always fond memories for that place we were a small town then.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jasper_Conrad wrote:
Ok. Are the cdrs with the photocopied covers that you term Dj mixes legal?
Are the original artists of the material used to create the mix compensated or was the legal permission of copyright holders granted?
Are these mixes distributed by a legitimate distribution company or are they burned, en masse, in the back room of a grocery store?

I don't really care, I just think it's hypocritical of you to be doing the same thing you're complaining about.

As far as I'm aware, yes.
Beats me, we don't make them, we just sell them.
Beats me, same reason.

Let's put it this way. I'm not a lawyer, but police officers have been customers of ours for decades. We've had representatives from the record companies in the store every few quarters for I dunno how long. We've had musicians in the store. We've had radio DJs in the store. I'm pretty sure if there was anything wrong with those, we'd have heard about it.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 15:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/30 14:43
Group:
Registered Users
Ok. Are the cdrs with the photocopied covers that you term Dj mixes legal?
Are the original artists of the material used to create the mix compensated or was the legal permission of copyright holders granted?
Are these mixes distributed by a legitimate distribution company or are they burned, en masse, in the back room of a grocery store?

I don't really care, I just think it's hypocritical of you to be doing the same thing you're complaining about.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
DJ mixes aren't bootlegs.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 13:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/30 14:43
Group:
Registered Users
Supersounds also sells bootlegged material, unless all those cdr mixes with the photocopied covers are somehow legitimate.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 11:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Interesting. I had no idea that was happening, although I would venture to say that probably wasn't too much of our business. That's just a first-reaction hunch, but shrug. How long where they open from and are they still there? You're talking about the place by the light rail stop with the Burger King near the post office?

Yes, I think so, the shopping center is right across from the post office. I haven't been that way in a couple of years, so I don't know if the store is still there. But when you enter the Extra Supermarket, there are cubicles with doors on them and each of them is rented out as a store.

It pisses me off to no end that JCRA just gave me the brushoff, even thought about speaking about it at a city council meeting, but I didn't care enough about it and I want to be very careful before making any accusations anyway.

I would still go to the meeting and rant about you experience with the JCRA and while you're at it write to the JC Independent along with the JJ and the Reporter newspapers.

Swung by the shopping plaza today out of curiosity and that store is still there. What I find so interesting is that the particular cubicle in which it is located has the glass painted completely over in white so you can't see inside while walking by - why would they need to hide anything? Plus when you stand by the door to it you don't see the CDs or DvDs either, you see a few pieces of clothing being sold (very strange). You have to walk in and look to the left, where the CDs and DvDs are being sold on the back wall. All of this going on in a building where there is also a Jersey City government office. Pathetic.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

Talk about an MO that Oriental furniture store near your record shop was having an "Out of Business" sale every week. It a scam that is used from time to time.

The difference is they're still selling items at above cost. We aren't (at least not on the stuff that we can't return for full value). It's fine to have a perm "GOIN OUTTA BIZ" sign up and writing 60% off, but our margins weren't anywhere close to that on many items.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Interesting. I had no idea that was happening, although I would venture to say that probably wasn't too much of our business. That's just a first-reaction hunch, but shrug. How long where they open from and are they still there? You're talking about the place by the light rail stop with the Burger King near the post office?

Yes, I think so, the shopping center is right across from the post office. I haven't been that way in a couple of years, so I don't know if the store is still there. But when you enter the Extra Supermarket, there are cubicles with doors on them and each of them is rented out as a store.

It pisses me off to no end that JCRA just gave me the brushoff, even thought about speaking about it at a city council meeting, but I didn't care enough about it and I want to be very careful before making any accusations anyway.

I would still go to the meeting and rant about you experience with the JCRA and while you're at it write to the JC Indepentent along with the JJ and the Reporter newspapers.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Amazing how much business you get when you're going out of business.

Talk about an MO that Oriental furniture store near your record shop was having an "Out of Business" sale every week. It a scam that is used from time to time.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well that sucks. I talked to one of the older dudes and his guess was it was the same dude that used to work on West Side Ave and we used to complain and then he left. Sounds like the same M.O.

Shame that the authorities would put up with that kind of %@#*, but shrug, that's Jersey City for you, I guess. Anyway, thanks to the people that have stopped by so far. Had a few people stop by including the head of Taqueria and someone else who said they saw it here (but I didn't catch who they were, thanks anyway!).

Amazing how much business you get when you're going out of business.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

Posted on: 2012/1/29 19:09

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017