Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
80 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Greenville-Lincoln Park Area: Plan to close West Side Ave. post office is opposed
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/19 14:35
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Postal service is very odd on the west side of JC. I have to trudge down to the main station on Bergen to pick up my packages (not available at the West Side station), and frequently see people whose things are lost in the mail. I had an important piece of mail floating around for about two weeks. It's a good thing I didn't need that check immediately, or I would have been screwed.

Other services are odd as well. Verizon wireless cuts out. I ride the Light Rail, and I get *no* bars going in and out of the Martin Luther King station. It seems racist to me.

I can't get internet to work at my home. Maybe if I ordered a whole bundle including television, I might get something, but all I want is internet. No go. I have to walk around and sometimes wait for my smart phone to get some bars, or go to the internet cafe on West Side.

Cutting services is not good. They are spotty as it is.

This is why I opposed the death of free television. Now we have to pay $50 a month to be marketed to--if you can get a signal. I oppose the death of the postal service as well. It is getting harder and harder to be low income in this country and still maintain a reasonable standard of living.

Postal service is in the Constitution. You can't just kill it. Or shouldn't.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 13:31

Greenville-Lincoln Park Area: Plan to close West Side Ave. post office is opposed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Plan to close West Side Ave. post office in Jersey City is opposed

Wednesday, August 10, 2011, 12:10 AM
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Plans to close Jersey City?s West Side Avenue post office is facing opposition from two prominent officials.

Hudson County Board of Freeholders Chairman Bill O?Dea said the study that identified the post office as a possible victim of the U.S. Postal Service?s downsizing is a ?sham,? while U.S. Rep. Albio Sires (D-13) has introduced legislation that would modify procedures the USPS follows when closing its facilities.

?Many people who are on fixed incomes rely on that facility, as well as the business owners on West Side Avenue,? O?Dea said in a statement.

Last month, the USPS, which lost $8.5 billion last year, announced it was looking into closing 3,653 locations nationwide, including nine in Hudson County.

O?Dea, a city resident, said the closing of the West Side Avenue facility would put an unfair burden on the residents of the West Side Avenue and Greenville sections of Jersey City, in addition to acting as a disincentive to future development along Route 440.

?We need to provide more convenient services for this area, not less,? he said.

Sires, meanwhile, said the USPS ?provides invaluable services to our communities.?

?I remain committed to protecting our post offices,? Sires said.

For more, go to http://www.nj.com/hudson/

Posted on: 2011/8/10 6:17

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017