Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
62 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 62

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Munchmobile does JC - 2nd Street bakery and New Park tavern reviews
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/5 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
like anyone cares what a polish woman has to say about an italian bakery..

Posted on: 2010/7/31 8:19

Munchmobile does JC - 2nd Street bakery and New Park tavern reviews
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/entertainment/dinin ... rban_eats.html#incart_hbx

Our heroes

Second Street Bakery in Jersey City is more deli than bakery, where you can pick up nice, hot sopressata and sharp provolone for your sandwich. All the bread is made here, in a brick oven. The owner is Tony Siniscalchi, whose uncle Felipe founded the bakery. There are also stuffed rolls and soup ? can you say pasta fagioli?

The eggplant special sandwich got a lukewarm review from Wisniewski. ?No taste, bland,? she said. Subs here are called ?cold combos.? Charles Burke ?loved? the No. 4 (sliced turkey, boiled ham, imported Swiss, lettuce, tomatoes and mayo). Denis Gozlan admired the ?velvety? tuna in the Italian tuna sandwich, with onions and roasted peppers.

Best sandwich: the No. 6, with hot sopressata, hot capicola, sharp provolone, sun-dried tomatoes and Italian dressing on terrific bread.

You heard of the horse with no name? How about the bar with no name?

The New Park Tavern in Jersey City ? looks like a bar from the outside, but there?s no sign ? is dark and atmospheric, with its eerily lit green columns, earthquake-proof wooden tables and tiny grill. The owners are Anthony and Robert Courtney, whose daughter, Cara, doubled as bartender and short-order cook on our visit.

The burgers have always been the bar?s strong point, but the corned beef sandwich stole the show. ?The best corned beef I have ever had,? Wisniewski said. ?My teeth slid right through both the bread and the inch-high pile of paper-thin-sliced beef.??

The plain burger is not in the same league as Krug?s in Newark, but it?s darned good.

DAMN! Now I gotta try that corned beed

Posted on: 2010/7/31 3:47

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017