Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
222 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 222

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

West Side: Police arrest felon in robbery of 90-year-old man
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

View Larger Map Jersey City police arrest felon in robbery of 90-year-old man Saturday, June 05, 2010 By MICHAELANGELO CONTE JOURNAL STAFF WRITER A 90-year-old Jersey City man was knocked down and robbed Thursday afternoon but officers scouring the area arrested a 48-year-old felon and returned the $12 taken from the senior citizen, officials said. "I have never been a victim of crime here before," said Angelo Cozzetta, who lives on Clark Avenue but was born in the Marion Section in 1920. "I'm doing all right. I'm just trying to be more careful." Timothy Rooks, 48, of Montgomery Street near Chopin Place, was arrested after the 5:17 p.m. incident and charged with robbing the retired grocery purchaser at Clarke Street and Mallory Avenue, reports said. Asked what he thought of someone who would rob a 90-year-old, Cozzetta said, "Not much." A police officer was flagged down by someone saying he saw an older man pushed down and robbed and he gave the officer a description of the robber, reports said. Police searched the area and stopped Rooks at Culver and West Side avenues because he fit the description, reports said. Cozzetta told police he was walking on Mallory Avenue when the robber approached him from behind and began shaking him roughly, reports said. "With that he put his hands in my pockets and he grabbed some bills - two singles and two fives - that's all I had on me," said Cozzetta, who has lived in Jersey City most of his life. "I fought with him a little, but when I fell to the ground he ran away." Inside Rooks' pocket police found two $5 bills and two $1 bills, reports said, adding that Cozzetta identified him as his attacker. Police photographed the money and turned it over to Cozzetta, reports said. After the attack, Cozzetta complained of back pain but he refused medical attention, reports said. Rooks was in prison from July 28, 2005 to July 3, 2006 and again from Dec. 29, 2006 to June 1, 2007 on two convictions for burglary, state corrections records say. He has gone by the aliases Tony Dumas and Abdullah Rooks.

Posted on: 2010/6/5 12:54

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017