Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Board of Education passes school budget that spells $148 tax hike on average home
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Board of Education passes school budget that spells $148 tax hike on average home

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Jersey City Board of Education voted 5-4 last night for a $618.8 million operating budget that hikes yearly taxes by $148 for the average homeowner.

"Just so you know, we're going to vote to increase taxes by $10 million and fire 373 people when you vote yes on this budget," board member and former Jersey City mayor Gerry McCann said before voting "no."

Vice President L. Terry Dehere, Susan Mack and Sean Connors joined McCann in voting "no."

Board members Peter Donnelly, Angel Valentin, Frances Thompson, Patricia Sebron, and board president William DeRosa voted to adopt the budget, which kicks in July 1.

"I am not going to pass the buck to the county superintendent, I vote yes," DeRosa said. "If I take a hit, I take a hit."

Superintendent of Schools Charles Epps said the Executive County Superintendent Tim Brennan and other state officials have already reviewed the budget and approved it. Voters will have their say on April 20 when school board elections are held.

The budget vote came after a brief public comment section followed by a lengthy attempt by McCann to reallocate $30 million earmarked for teacher salary increases in order to retain the 373 jobs.

On March 18, the board voted down the negotiated teachers contract, which now goes back to the drawing board.

"You don't need a raise, you want a raise," McCann said, referring to the teachers. "These 373 people need their jobs."

McCann's motion was defeated, 3-6. Connors, McCann and Dehere voted for it. Donnelly, Mack, Valentin, Thompson, Sebron and DeRosa voted against it. Those opposing it said retirements could save some jobs and the raises could be negotiated at a lower rate.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 9:23

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017