Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Cablevision blackout of 2 channels riles viewers -- No Food Network or HGTV
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
WHERE'S THEIR CHEF?
Blackout of 2 channels riles viewers

Thursday, January 07, 2010
By CHARLES HACK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Hudson County cable customers are hopping mad that a squabble between Cablevision Systems Corp. and a TV show provider over fees has left them without two of their favorite television channels.

Scripps Networks Interactive Inc. stopped providing Cablevision with the Food Network and Home and Garden Television shows last week because the two couldn't agree on monthly rates.

"It was a big surprise," said Bayonne High School student Cynthia Williams, 14, who loved watching Paula Deen's cooking show on Food Network with her whole family. "I was mad I couldn't watch my show any more."

The following Hudson County communities also receive Cablevision and are without the two channels: Hoboken, North Bergen, Union City, Weehawken and West New York.

Cablevision launched an advertising campaign on its local cable systems and in newspapers accusing Scripps of holding viewers "hostage" by demanding a "$20 million" rate increase annually.

Michael Murillo, 44, of Bayonne, said the Food Network and HGTV are two of his wife's four favorite stations, but he said he will likely continue with cable because he gets his Internet service and phone service that way, too.

"It is horrible considering what they charge now to dispute over two channels that are very popular," Murillo said. "As much as I would like to switch I will have to stick with cable."

Jose Ongay, 49, of Bayonne, who has subscribed to Cablevision for more than 10 years, said he isn't losing any sleep but his wife is "very upset."

"Those are my wife's two favorite channels, and I like them too," Ongay said. "If I have to pay a dollar or two extra I will do that. It's a little disturbing, but I am confident they will sort it out."

Otherwise if he can get a "better deal," he'll consider a switching to satellite service or another provider.

Scripps could not be reached for comment and a spokesman from Cablevision referred to a press release that accuses Scripps of hiking its fees 200 percent.

Joe Ryan, a spokesman for the City of Bayonne, said the city has a non-exclusive franchise with Cablevision that is up for renewal, but he said that switching contracts to another company would be very unlikely.

"It is extremely difficult to end a relationship with a cable company," Ryan said. "The laws make an assumption that they are staying unless there is a total failure of equipment or signals on a regular basis."

Food Network fans will get an opportunity to see one of their old favorites on Sunday - free over the air.

"Iron Chef America: Super Chef Battle," with a guest appearance by First Lady Michelle Obama, will run on WPIX (Channel 11) in New York, Scripps spokeswoman Cindy McConkey said Tuesday.

Posted on: 2010/1/7 16:58

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017