Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: 'Brick City' documentary stands out in a busy week on the Sundance Channel
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
i wouldn't drink the Corey Kool-Aid just yet. Stats can be deceiving, sometimes. Newark has a long road ahead, but dang what we wouldn't give to have the great press Newark is getting from this. You know, as opposed to what we've been getting here lately.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 4:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
We can only wish Cory Booker was our Mayor. He is passionate and works for the people unlike our Mayor.

Booker also understands what it takes to fight crime, yes he has a huge job ahead of him when it comes to winning the war in crime in Newark, he brought in outside Police Chief that understands how to fight crime, unlike porky pig we have.

Booker's Zero tolerance on crime like Giuliani/Bratton started in NY and Bloomberg /Kelly have done needs to be a concern to Jersey City as they chase their criminals and drug dealers whom end up in Jersey City given they know they can comfortably operate here under Healy's crime policy, oh that's right Healy does not have a crime policy.

We have a shooting almost every night, if night every night. 24 people have been killed this year in Jersey City, we are 3 below last years total, so I'm sure we will blow that number away....This must be the Change we can see.

If only our Mayor could show an ounce of passion Cory Booker show would be an improvement of his status quo and no comment approach.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 4:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
It's gonna be worth it.
And I'm not just saying that because I'm in it!
(Am I?)

Posted on: 2009/9/22 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
I enjoyed it, looking foward to the next 4 episodes.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 3:00

'Brick City' documentary stands out in a busy week on the Sundance Channel
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.c ... ick-city-cory-booker.html

Chicago Trib - September 21, 2009

'Brick City' documentary stands out in a busy week

"Brick City" (9 p.m. Central, Sundance Channel; three stars) picked a tough week to debut. Many of the broadcast networks' biggest shows are premiering or returning, but that hasn't stopped Sundance Channel from airing the documentary five nights in a row.

But the broadcast networks frequently (and with some success) attempt to help us forget our daily cares, whether through the quipping of the acerbic Greg House on "House" or via the talented comedic ensembles on "How I Met Your Mother" and "The Big Bang Theory" (all of which return Monday, along with "Castle," "CSI: Miami," "Heroes," "Dancing with the Stars," "Two and a Half Men." Check out my Twitter for a few thoughts on the "House" Season 6 premiere).

"Brick City" has a much different intent. The idea is to show us how Cory Booker, the almost frighteningly energetic mayor of Newark, New Jersey, is trying to revive that proud but troubled city. It's an interesting and complicated journey, though "Brick City" could have done a better job of giving non-Jersey natives some background and context regarding Newark's troubles. (For that, I recommend a Feb. 8, 2008, New Yorker piece by Peter J. Boyer, which is available online but only to subscribers to the magazine.)

Viewers plunge immediately into the whirlwind daily routine of Booker, who scurries from city meetings to banquets to conferences with business leaders to midnight basketball games with nary a pause. Booker seems determined to lift Newark through sheer force of will, and given the changes he's instituted at the police department and the strides Newark appears to have made in luring or keeping businesses, he may have a shot at success.

"Newark, New Jersey is going to shock the world!" he declares at one event. The man is nothing if not passionately committed.

Booker is such a hands-on presence that it's no wonder residents pester him on a call-in talk show to get married. "We don't want the line to run out," a caller says.

But it's hard to watch "Brick City" and not think of the once-idealistic fictional mayor of Baltimore on "The Wire," who was forced by budget disasters and back-room pressures to cut deals that ended up damaging the lives of residents. That's not to imply that Booker has anything but the best of intentions: He seems like a very smart and capable man. But we don't get much of a sense of the larger elements that may conspire to undo his good works.

The filmmakers have disdained any talking-head interviews with experts or political commentators. That seems like a mistake in a film in which the chief of police says that even Newark's politicians find it hard to understand Newark politics.

Despite all that, I found "Brick City" to be quite lively and interesting. It is a vibrant portrait of a city's attempt to better itself, and it wisely doesn't over-rely on Booker's charismatic yet slightly geeky presence.

The filmmakers had an inclusive approach: Community members and former gang members are shown doing outreach with kids in an attempt to ensure that the next generation has a better chance. One story line follows a Crip and a Blood who have an unlikely romance and encounter bumps in the road as they attempt to remake their lives. One older street veteran brings cakes to kids hanging on the streets (a full stomach may prevent a shooting, he says). As for Booker, he chats with a couple of 16-year-old girls about why they're on the streets after 1 a.m. and even hops out of his car to razz a resident about his support of a certain sports team.

Let's hope these filmmakers visit Booker and Newark in a couple of years, to see how all these energetic attempts to do the right thing worked out.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 1:50

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017