Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
172 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 172

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City's Reva Cheri writes on Hip-Hop: We've come so far?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/11 16:39
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for posting this article. Much appreciated.

What's the status on the Jersey City hip hop scene?

Favorite current hip hop artists: 1. Plastic Little (Philly) 2. Rhymefest (Chicago) 3. Dr. Octagon aka Kool Keith (Bronx) 4. Edan (Boston?)

Favorite hip hop artists: Jungle Brothers; Brand Nubian; Tribe Called Quest; Public Enemy; Ultramagnetic MC's; Eric B & Rakim; Jay Z; NWA - Straight Out Of Compton; Quasimoto; People Under the Stairs.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 2:36

Jersey City's Reva Cheri writes on Hip-Hop: We've come so far?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Hip-Hop: We've come so far?

by Reva McEachern
Thursday June 11, 2009

From a small sub-culture to international phenomena, hip-hop has changed the way we dress, the way we talk, the way we create music and the way in which we evaluate the merits of what we hear on the radio.

Hip-hop is not only the pulse of youth culture; in many ways hip-hop has become a measuring stick of authenticity in urban and suburban communities across America. But over the years, it's lost its sense of accountability, shifting priority to profitability and at the same time, changing the notion of what's "real hip-hop."

Frankie J. Antunes and Nicanor Trinidad Jr. make up the rap duo DK and Trin, respectively, also known as The Mastermindz. The two 26 year olds were born and raised in Newark and remember a time when real hip-hop was more about authenticity than swagger.

"Hip-hop has become more of a fashion show than a genre of music. In 2009, it's become swag this and swag that, every song is about swag," said Trin.

"But, I do like the fact that hip-hop is becoming increasingly more open to try new things," he continued.

The late '80's early '90's era of rappers like Positive K and MC Lyte was epitomized by party anthems and social commentary. But it was also a time when having a hit-record didn't necessarily skyrocket an artist into multimillion dollar status. Since the '90's, hip-hop has taken on an international status that's turned a few rap stars into pop superstars with mega-million-dollar bank accounts. And it seems that today, those chosen few -- and the posers who follow suit -- are more focused on bragging about their lifestyle, than being a reflection of the collective experience.

"I just don't feel as though it's coming from people's hearts. They only worried about they pockets," said DK.

"Back in the day, when Downtown Newark had the bootleg tapes 3 for 10, I used to spend all my allowance on the tapes. I bought every thing from Naughty (by Nature) to Positive K. Now, emcee's are going to really have to make good music to get my 12.99 plus tax," Trin added.

Today, it's not uncommon to hear a seemingly radio-friendly dance track from an artist, and then purchase their CD to discover a not-so-nice unedited version. In the case of Soulja Boy, many parents have been outraged to discover the lewd meanings behind many of this teen rap sensation's lyrics.

"I miss those days when the hottest emcees in the game were working together to better the genre. Nowadays, you don't need talent, all you need is a certain image and a corny dance," said Trin.

DK elaborates on this view in his song "Child of God," from his latest CD titled "The Mix Tape," he writes:

"The messed up part is they forgot bout the essence/There ain't no structure to they subject when they craftin' a sentence/hip-hop is a way of teachin' a lesson/they just snappin' they fingers leanin' back ignorin' the message."

Beyond questionably misogynistic dance songs, in 2009 there are still many hip-hop artists who glamorize a seedier lifestyle involving drug-dealing and use and murder. Even though the "gangsta rap" genre is not nearly as popular as it was in the mid '90's, the same themes arise in more pop-friendly tracks that can slip under the radar of parents, and send mixed messages to young hip-hop fans.

"Being a hustler, drug dealer or thug gets you more respect than what you actually have to say. Kids see this negativity and replicate it and it just becomes a cycle. Real is less becoming yourself and more trying to be street in hip-hop, and that has to stop," said Trin.

"Don't pigeon hole yourselves and don't saturate the game with half-hearted attempts to blow," he continued.

Check out DK at myspace.com/dk615 and Trin's at myspace.com/trindeezl where their album "The Mixtape" is available for download.

Reva McEachern resides in Jersey City and promotes her music under the alias Reva Cheri. She is the founder of independent music and video sharing website rebelcitymusic.com.

http://www.nj.com/newark/index.ssf/20 ... hop_weve_come_so_far.html

Posted on: 2009/6/11 15:23

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017