Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
208 user(s) are online (198 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 208

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

McGinley Square: Children and infants flee fire at possibly illegal daycare
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City fire chief: Children and infants flee fire at possibly illegal daycare

The Jersey Journal
Michaelangelo Conte
Wednesday May 20, 2009

Officials are looking into whether an illegal daycare was operating in a three-story building off McGinley Square where firefighters battled a blaze that threatened to spread to attached buildings on both sides, officials said.

"This fire had the potential for a catastrophe with that many kids in that environment," said Fire Director Armando Roman of the numerous children and infants who fled the Tuers Avenue building with the help of adults this afternoon. "It should be an eye opener to anyone who conducts these daycare centers and doesn't have proper licenses."

Firefighters responding to the blaze near Mercer Street on a 3:09 p.m. alarm called in a second alarm in minutes because of the volume of fire racing up the rear of the building and the threat it would spread, Roman said.

Firefighters battled the flames form all three decks at the rear of the building. At the edge of the roof above them, a firefighter cut into the building's soffit with a chainsaw as flames rose.

By the time the flames were under control the entire rear of the building was charred and firefighters had cut a hole in the roof to let out smoke.

All six families living in the building have been told they could not return until the roof is fixed and electrical repairs are made, Roman said.

Yaseem Hafeez, 10, had walked home from School 11 this afternoon and in his third floor apartment he smelled smoke and ran to a rear window.

"I saw flames coming from my neighbors deck and it was all getting on fire," said the boy who was tearful and very shaken after the fire. He stood on the street with his family and clung to his mother. "I told the neighbor to get out and I heard another neighbor calling 911."

Roman said, "It was very brave and vigilant for (Yaseem) to do that. We don't recommend kids going back into a fire but if in their escape they knock on someone's door, it can be a great benefit. He must have learned that form our fire prevention bureau."

The building to the right of the main fire suffered some smoke and water damage and as firefighter climbed inside from the roof hatch to douse flames smoldering in the wall adjacent to the fire, Roman said. The cause of the fire has not yet been determined, Roman said.

Posted on: 2009/5/21 3:12

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017