Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Heights: SUV plows into woman & store -- Pinned and impaled, she's 'critical but stable' in hospital
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
SUV plows into woman, store -- Pinned and impaled, she's 'critical but stable' in hospital

Thursday, April 02, 2009
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A Jersey City Heights woman suffered life-threatening injuries yesterday when an SUV driven by a Hoboken resident jumped the curb at Central and Congress avenues, slamming into a corner store and pinning the woman against the building, officials said.

Taken to the Jersey City Medical Center, Peggy Cicchetti, 51, of Hancock Avenue, was in critical but stable condition last night, a hospital spokesman said.
Advertisement

Most of the damage was to Cicchetti's right leg, which was partially impaled by a pole that held up a sign above the store's front door, officials said.

Cicchetti, who is a clerk at police headquarters on Erie Street, was walking out of the store at 7:59 a.m. when a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer mounted the curb, reports said.

Her husband, Raymond, 65, said last night she had walked to the store to buy The Jersey Journal and Daily News.

The driver of the SUV, Emilda Tirado, 62, of Willow Avenue in Hoboken, told police she was trying to park when the gear shifter seemed to get stuck, reports said. Tirado said she hit the gas and the vehicle lurched forward, plowing into the building, reports said.

Tirado said she didn't notice Cicchetti until she backed up after striking the building, reports said.

Tirado was taken to the Police Department's motorcycle unit headquarters, where she gave a formal statement, reports said. It does not appear that Tirado was issued any summonses, but the investigation into the incident is ongoing, officials said.

The crash caused extensive damage to the front end of the SUV and to the store it struck, reports said.

Cicchetti's husband said last night a police detective came to his home and told him about the crash yesterday morning, but that he hadn't been able to get to the hospital because he has a bad heart and lung and needs oxygen. He is also taking care of his mother-in-law, who is 78 years old, he said.

"I'm hanging in," he said. "I'm waiting for a call. I just hope everything turns out all right."

Posted on: 2009/4/2 14:17

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017