Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
149 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New Jersey Getting $425M in Stimulus for Mass Transit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
No, you are not reading it wrong. The stimulus bill does not provide nearly enough money for new projects. This is not to say all of the "deferred maintenance"that transportation authorities from around the country have been postponing for years doesn't need funding, but more money should have been spent on new projects. Thanks to the compromise of bi-partisanship, the stimulus bill is nothing more than a large spending package. There will probably be a new bill in 18 months when this watered down nonsense fails to accomplish its goals.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Seems like a lot of maintenance for existing mass transit and some upgrades to existing properties...but no new mass transit. I hope this is a bad summary or I am misinterpreting. Am I reading correct that the only increased capacity project funded by our state $$ is taking people in and out of NYC? Besides stimulating construction jobs, if the goal was to get more people using mass transit, i dont see these as helping at all. I wish some was going to the Lackawanna cutoff project or something similar. Thankfully we already have the most sophisticated mass transit in the US thanks to the folks 100+ years ago who built it. I was hoping we would make progress towards competing with Europe and Asia however with this package.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
An $8 billion rail tunnel under the Hudson River and the entire mass transit allotment for the state isn't even half a billion dollars? This stimulus is a fail, too little, too late.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 15:26

New Jersey Getting $425M in Stimulus for Mass Transit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
(Sorta Jersey City, since JC is getting some of it)

Original link: http://www.1010wins.com/NJ-Getting--4 ... -for-Mass-Transit/3969701

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) -- More federal stimulus money is headed to New Jersey.

The Obama administration said Thursday that the state will get $425 million for mass transit projects.

The money was included in the $787 billion stimulus package President Barack Obama signed into law last month.

NJ Transit plans to use the money for various projects, including a planned train tunnel under the Hudson River, rehabilitating its bus fleet and building a transfer station in Pennsauken so River Line rail riders can connect with trains for Atlantic City.

New Jersey has already received federal stimulus money for various projects, such as affordable housing repairs and work on highways and bridges. And police departments in New Jersey are getting nearly $48 million.

Major NJ Transit projects that will be paid for with federal stimulus money, and their estimated cost:

Proposed train tunnel under the Hudson River, which officials say would double the number of eastbound trains that enter New York's Penn Station every day. $130 million.

Rail transfer station in Pennsauken to allow passengers to transfer between Atlantic City Line and River Line. $40 million.

Improved signal system for River Line light rail line. $24 million.

New jitney buses for Atlantic City. $2.25 million.

Expanded parking at Edison rail station. $11 million.

High-level platforms to allow access to Plauderville station in Garfield for people with disabilities. $15 million.

Pedestrian and traffic circulation improvements around Newark Penn Station. $17.3 million.

New switches on Hudson-Bergen Light Rail line. $15 million.

Rehabilitation work on the Lower Hack Drawbridge, which carries Morris & Essex lines to Hoboken. $30 million.

Signal improvements to the Morristown Branch, allowing for improved operations of the Morristown line. $25 million.

New bus shelters throughout state. $2.5 million.

Replacing ties and track throughout commuter rail system. $22 million.

Rehabilitating bus fleet. $35 million.

Rehabilitating rail cars and locomotives. $35.8 million.

Purchase of minibuses for rural areas and support the expansion of commuter rail to those areas. $4.8 million.

New minibuses for the Access Link Paratransit system. $13.75 million.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 8:42

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017