Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Powerhouse Arts District: artists win affordable units case - each valued at more than $400,000
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/19 19:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmcee wrote:
Quote:

troysmith wrote:
Are you kidding? Has no one heard of a market economy? I still don't understand why if you're an "artist" you get special privileges. No one forced you to go into a profession that doesn't pay enough for you to afford rent. If there is too little demand for artists, that just means that in a market economy, the supply should naturally decrease. Instead, this is in effect a price ceiling and now there is a deadweight loss that the tax payers and the builder will have to swallow.

This is how the city can try keep the Arts in the Powerhouse Arts District you moron. Otherwise they would just call it the Powerhouse Condo District. It's an genuine attempt to preserve some of the diversity of the community that existed there before it became so expensive and trendy. I am an artist who can afford his rent, who lives there too. What do you do for a living troysmith? I'm sure it's more admirable than arts.

what a tool. what artists were here before you hipsters moved in?

and even if there were, they never looked for handouts; you bailout trolls!!!

Posted on: 2009/2/9 20:51

Re: Powerhouse Arts District: artists win affordable units case - each valued at more than $400,000
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
It says the city gets the units for $1 each, not the artists. Presumably the city then sells them to artists for more than $1, but less than $400k. It's not losing nearly as much tax revenue as you might think.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

troysmith wrote:
Are you kidding? Has no one heard of a market economy? I still don't understand why if you're an "artist" you get special privileges. No one forced you to go into a profession that doesn't pay enough for you to afford rent. If there is too little demand for artists, that just means that in a market economy, the supply should naturally decrease. Instead, this is in effect a price ceiling and now there is a deadweight loss that the tax payers and the builder will have to swallow.

This is how the city can try keep the Arts in the Powerhouse Arts District you moron. Otherwise they would just call it the Powerhouse Condo District. It's an genuine attempt to preserve some of the diversity of the community that existed there before it became so expensive and trendy. I am an artist who can afford his rent, who lives there too. What do you do for a living troysmith? I'm sure it's more admirable than arts.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
Healy should worry about the increasing murder and crime in this city rather than commenting on things like this. He seems to take credit for obscure things he's not responsible for but everything else (real issues) is not his problem. Starving artists will get a space for $1 - big deal.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 19:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/19 15:34
Group:
Registered Users

I'm sorry, but Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy is clearly mistaken when he said that this is a victory for the city. The city will actually receive LESS TAX REVENUE because they are forcing the units to be sold for $1. Blasphemy I say. And we should all require him to take a college-level economics course because apparently Villanova failed miserably at that.

And I don't feel bad for artists at all when they can get away with this: http://chelseaartgalleries.com/auctions/with?sale=P31&lot=30

Posted on: 2009/2/9 19:07

Powerhouse Arts District: artists win affordable units case - each valued at more than $400,000
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City, artists win affordable units case

Monday, February 09, 2009
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The New Jersey Appellate Division has upheld a trial court decision requiring that a luxury building in Jersey City's Powerhouse Arts District include seven affordable units for artists.

The builder of 311 Washington St., Washington Commons, LLC, had challenged the requirement to sell seven of the 68 units to the city for $1 each, arguing it did not understand these were the terms of an agreement with the city and these terms violated the builder's constitutional rights.

The company values the units at more than $400,000 each.

But the trial and appellate courts found the complaint had been filed too late.

In addition, both courts agreed that there was no support for a constitutional claim and that officials of the development company should have returned to the Board of Adjustment for clarification of any issues they did not understand.

"This decision is a victory for the city and its artists," Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy said in a news release.

Washington Commons has appealed the decision to the New Jersey Supreme Court, city officials said.

Nicholas Buttafucco, the attorney for Washington Commons, declined to comment on "pending litigation."

Posted on: 2009/2/9 15:29

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017