Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
158 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

Re-Visitor, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Sample the food around Hudson County; diversity adds flavors and tastes from many cultures.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Fish & Chips in Kerny?

I want to go - but does anyone else think it might be like this?

Resized Image

I keep thinking I'll be with the cast of Trainspotting or sitting with Rod Stewart watching Football.

Hmmm, we should really go!

Quote:

Blank_Generation wrote:
Argyles in Kearny specializes in Fish N Chips but if you wanna get a little adventurous they also have the Haggis.
Not to mention a Kilt shop upstairs for all those guys on this board that are planning on buying a Scottish wife.

===================================
QUICK BITE/Kearny; The Young and the Deep-Fried

New York Times
By JACK SILBERT
February 10, 2002

I don't like being shown up by a 3-year-old. But I must admit that my friend's son Donovan had the upper hand during our recent lunch at the Argyle Restaurant in Kearny. According to the Argyle's place mat, Kearny is the ''Scottish capital of the United States.'' Could Donovan tell you that? No, he can't read. So I will have to tell you that the walls of the cozy dining room are covered with Scottish artwork: bagpiper portraits, Edinburgh photos, maps and a scenic loch or two. And if for a moment you doubted the Argyle's authenticity: a fellow diner was wearing a kilt. The house specialty is fish and chips ($10.25 in the dining room, $8.22 for takeout). This is where Donovan truly upstaged me: His child's portion was nearly as large, included a small beverage and dessert, and cost a mere $4.50. What a treat that fish was, served piping hot in a crispy, flaky crust. The chips were decent French fries, though I expect chips to be thicker and wrapped in grease-stained newspaper, like in the 1981 Scottish film ''Gregory's Girl.'' Donovan, whose knowledge of cinema goes as far back as ''Toy Story 2,'' couldn't have cared less about the meal. He busied himself with Bob the Builder stickers. After the meal, we exited through the adjoining Piper's Cove Scottish gift shop. I said hello to the clerk, but she was preoccupied with Donovan's antics. ''He's a Power Ranger!'' she said with admiration. Yes, he is. And apparently, I'm the Invisible Man. Jack Silbert

Argyle Restaurant, 212 Kearny Avenue, Kearny; (201) 991-3900; Open Tuesdays through Thursdays, 11:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.; Fridays, 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Sat. 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Sundays, 2 to 8 p.m.

Click here for a very nice Food Blog on this place from Jan. 2008

Posted on: 2008/2/28 16:22

Re: Sample the food around Hudson County; diversity adds flavors and tastes from many cultures.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/6/19 13:10
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Argyles in Kearny specializes in Fish N Chips but if you wanna get a little adventurous they also have the Haggis.
Not to mention a Kilt shop upstairs for all those guys on this board that are planning on buying a Scottish wife.

Posted on: 2008/2/28 14:42

Sample the food around Hudson County; diversity adds flavors and tastes from many cultures.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Diversity adds flavor to small biz community

Thursday, February 28, 2008
By RENATA MAGALHAES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

One of the most diverse counties in America, Hudson County boasts a global economy of sorts.

"This is the gateway to America," William LaRosa, director of Cultural Affairs and Tourism for the county, says. "It's usually the first stop for a lot of people and they often find their first jobs here. People are comfortable here."

They also bring some of what they miss most about their homeland here and set up businesses that cater to fellow immigrants as well as those looking for a taste of varied cultures.

"No matter where you travel, you want to sample the food," LaRosa says. "Here we are spoiled, we have everything."

But don't just believe him - take a ride.

First stop is Bayonne, home to a large Polish-American community.

Places like Sawa Provisions and Deli on Avenue C serve you some of the best in kielbasa, babka and, of course, pierogi, all cooked on the premises.

Owner Mario Pruszloski is celebrating 15 years of serving the Bayonne community and although he lives in Garfield, he chose Bayonne for his store because of its rich Polish background.

Over on Broadway, look for Alex and Terry's Deli. Regular Virginia Valentino, a Jersey City resident who works in Bayonne, goes to the deli almost every day because the food is "fresh and homemade, and all at a reasonable price."

Moving into Jersey City, one can be treated to the delights of the Indian culture.

At The Village Fine Indian Cuisine, on Newark Avenue since 1994, Pragnesh Patel and his crew will gladly serve you Indian delights - from spicy chicken to healthy vegetables.

And don't just eat and run. Take a walk around Newark Avenue, known as "Little India," where you can visit mini-marts that carry everything Indian; stunning gold shops with traditional jewelry, and colorful sari shops, like Binny Fashions and Silks, which offer saris for every occasion in every color.

Then travel over to Union City - the city of everything Latin.

From Colombian to Peruvian and Cuban, it's there. Places like Pollos a la Brasa Mario strive to serve "typical food that is a representation of the culture," says manager of the Union City location, Renato Montoya.

Pollos a la Brasa Mario aims for Colombian.

If you're in the mood for something a bit more rustic, travel over into Secaucus.

There you will find fresh mozzarella done the traditional way at little Italian restaurants like Trattoria da Pino, which offers simple Italian food.

For owner Pino D'Alto, cooking is a love and his food definitely shows it. From the homemade pasta to pork tenderloin, D'Alto uses the tricks he learned in European kitchens.

And speaking of the old traditions, there is nothing like a good plate of fish and chips. For that head on over to Kearny, popular for its Irish and Scottish traditions.

Whether it be a stop at Thistle Fish and Chips or at Argyle's Restaurant on Kearny Avenue, you won't walk away unsatisfied.

Their fish and chips are definitely worth breaking a diet for.

And if your in the mood for a great British Isle-style sweater, a little kilt or maybe some bagpipes, the Piper's Cove can help you out.

Kearny and neighboring East Newark also serve something a little Mediterranean - Portuguese and Spanish food.

Restaurants like Torremolino's and Pic-Nic are there for you with things like paelha or barbecued chicken.

So now you have somewhere to start. Happy travels.

RENATA MAGALHAES can be reached at (201) 217-2543.

Posted on: 2008/2/28 13:28

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017