Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Remembering Fred W. McDarrah (1926-2007)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
I was sad to hear of the death of Fred W. McDarrah, one of the great photojournalists of any age who covered most of the 20th Century's cultural wars through his POV from New York.

Fred trained many young photographers during his stint at the Voice and always left those he met knowing they had met a man who knew his work as few can say.

I had the great fortune of meeting and speaking with Fred several times over the years, as when my friend opened the Kettle of Fish on Christopher Street in the same location of where had been the Lion's Head, Fred knew the significance of both bars where literati, journalists and writers of all sorts had gathered over the same period of time that Fred was documenting the time of changes.

One of those who haunted the Lion's Head also passed this week, Norman Mailer, who died this morning. That bar was where the Village Voicebegan, over drinks as Mailer co-founded the first alternative newspaper in the US that would become a cultural icon of the 60's and 70's and troubled paper through the 80's until the end of the 20th Century.

If you didn't know about Fred W. McDarrah you should buy his beautiful book, Resized ImageBeat Generation: Glory Days in Greenwich Village or the next time you're in the Kettle of Fish ask Patrick, the owner, to show you the bar's copy Fred signed for them when they opened in that space.

Resized Image

Fred W. McDarrah, 1926-2007
by Tom Robbins

November 6th, 2007 10:57 AM

by Fred W. McDarrah

Resized ImageVeteran Village Voice photographer Fred W. McDarrah died in his sleep at home in Greenwich Village early Tuesday morning. He was 81.

Over a 50-year span, McDarrah documented the rise of the Beat Generation, the city?s postmodern art movement, its off-off-Broadway actors, troubadours, politicians, agitators and social protests.

Fred captured Jack Kerouac frolicking with women at a New Year?s bash in 1958, Andy Warhol Quote:
Fred W. McDarrah, April 1978 photo: Janie Eisenberg
Click Link Below For More about Fred W. McDarrah
The Voice work of the photographer, from Bob Dylan to Andy Warhol to Rudy Giuliani
adjusting a movie-camera lens in his silver-covered factory, and Bob Dylan offering a salute of recognition outside Sheridan Square near the Voice?s old office.

Not just a social chronicler, McDarrah was a great photo-journalist. He photographed the still-smoldering ruins of the Weather Underground bomb factory on W. 12th Street. His unerring eye for gesture and detail caught lawyer Roy Cohn whispering what appeared to be tough orders in the ear of a young Donald Trump.

For years, McDarrah was the Voice's only photographer and, for decades, he ran the Voice?s photo department, where he helped train dozens of young photographers, including James Hamilton, Sylvia Plachy, Robin Holland and Marc Asnin. His mailbox was simply marked "McPhoto."

An exhibit of McDarrah?s photos of artists presented last year by the Steven Kasher Gallery in Chelsea was hailed by The New York Times as ?a visual encyclopedia of the era?s cultural scene.? It included candid shots of Janis Joplin, artist Jasper Johns, and avant-garde artist Charlotte Moorman.

Wayne Barrett Remembers McDarrah

In the days when politicians routinely let reporters and photographers inside their fundraising extravaganzas, Fred McDarrah never missed a fat cat with a fork or a knife in his hand. He got his camera right under their double chins. If they waved him away in anger, he took an extra shot. He circled the world of New York politics with me for two decades, responding to every brusque rejection with an irresistible charm and a grin wider than his lens. It wasn't just that Fred loved to photo the New York predator class and their political prey, he understood who they were and what they wanted. He collected names and public price tags as well as pictures. I remember standing with him in the rain outside Studio 54 for the birthday party of that infamous fixer Roy Cohn as we rushed toward every opening limo door, squeezing the story out of the street. I remember stakeouts that dragged on for hours and his edgy exuberance, a kid-like quality he carried with his camera into his 70s. Fred loved his town and his craft and his era and his family, and he has left a legacy of prints unparalleled in our time.

J. Hoberman Remembers McDarrah

Like anyone who ever looked at the Village Voice during the ?60s, I was familiar with Fred McDarrah's world?long before I met him. Fred spent that decade (and three more) documenting the city?s be-ins, demonstrations, peace marches, happenings, free concerts, coffee-house readings, loft performances, jazz bars, and underground movie emporia, not to mention the flotsam and jetsam of Sheridan Square, Bleecker Street, Avenue C, St Marks Place, and the Bowery. He was a real newspaper guy and a genuine historian of his times. His street and studio portraits of downtown artists, avant-garde luminaries, local pols and boho celebs were often definitive.

Fred was a feisty, wiry Son of Brooklyn who knew how to get to the front of a crowd, hold onto his light, and make the most of any given situation. In 1960, he invented a sort of human catering service called Rent-a-Beatnik. Did I say he was feisty? Fred wrote irate letters to the Voice editor both before and after he became the paper?s staff photographer. (A proud populist, he always took regular issue with film critic Andrew Sarris?s annual ten best lists.) Fred was free with friendly counsel and fiercely protective of his work, as I learned when I, as Village Voice greenhorn, I asked him on behalf of an avant-garde filmmaker friend, if she could use one of his best known photographs in her movie. Fred lost his smile and gave me an earful. (I considered it career advice.) And he was right, the work he furnished the Voice for pennies was only going to grow more valuable. Fred may have been a terrific journalist but, as he?d have been the first to tell you, he wasn?t a hippie.

Posted on: 2007/11/10 18:39
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017