Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
163 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Van Vorst Park---Dog Run
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Rabbitrabbit, what type of surface would you have preferred?

Quote:

RABBITRABBIT wrote:
no capitulation.

just that my dog likes it and that makes me happy. still he is dirtier than he was before the run. he won't pick up a ball cause all that grit is all over it. and he shits the stuff the surface is made of (recycling?). and i don't think it'll be good for him. but i could be wrong.

let me be clear so no-one thinks i am back peddling.

i originally thought the run should be in a less used quadrant of the park.
i do not think it should be split in two cause i think both sections will be too small.
i hate that trees came down in the making of the run.
i hate that the city crushed garden fences in building the dame thing.
i hate the surface.

and i doubted it would ever get made. on that i admit my error (although it took far longer than promised and still aint done.)

i stand by ALL my comments.

and that you might be one of the best lays i;'ve had in a long time.

Posted on: 2007/2/12 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RABBITRABBIT wrote:
no capitulation.

just that my dog likes it and that makes me happy. still he is dirtier than he was before the run. he won't pick up a ball cause all that grit is all over it. and he shits the stuff the surface is made of (recycling?). and i don't think it'll be good for him. but i could be wrong.

i do not think it should be split in two cause i think both sections will be too small.
i hate the surface.

and i doubted it would ever get made. on that i admit my error (although it took far longer than promised and still aint done.)

Oh, this one is fun.

You have no choice but to capitulate, you?re wrong!

I always felt that the run was much too large for the size of our park, but I?m following what the community voted on, in the majority, including the division of the run.

As I?ve told you before, we will be replacing the trees that were removed due to them being diseased.

As I have also told you, the fence contractor will repair the damage the City caused to the garden fences, gratis, as a favor to us.

Hate the surface, hate me.

Next time, you try dealing with the City and get something completed on time. You?re fortunate that it has gotten this far.

Standing by you?re comments, puts you on one leg.

And, last but certainly not lest , you would be so lucky!

Posted on: 2007/2/12 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
no capitulation.

i hate the surface.

Posted on: 2007/2/12 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
RABBITRABBIT wrote: Quote:
parkman wrote: Quote:
parkman wrote:The surface in the VVP run is the same product being recommended by the Parks Dept. of NY, 2 large dog organizations in Manhattan, and is presently in the 72nd st. and Thomson Sq. parks.
Although the reccomendation may be true, that shite is not used in the west 72nd street run, nor is it used in the Thompson Sq. Park run. Both are soil and woodchips, sucka.
Now you?re calling me a liar? I physically went to the 72nd. St. run during our research period and have the picture to prove this is the identical surface used there. We ordered from the same supplier and received the same material. They used neither soil nor wood chips, what they didn?t do was make the surface deep enough and the landscape material below is being dug up by the dogs. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
ok PM, i'll give you this one. i havent been to that run since late 2005, and it was dirt and hay (yes, hay) back then. i guess the trump plaza residents on the west side highway complained. but pictures can be altered and since i work up that way, i'll take a peek myself and report back. so - where's the picture of tompkins sq. dog run. i BET that's still woodchips. either way - the surface still sux. but i'm enjoying bringing my dog there. so you aint all that bad for an old fool.
Is this capitulation on your part? ?What a night..mare!?

Posted on: 2007/2/12 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:
parkman wrote: Quote:
parkman wrote:The surface in the VVP run is the same product being recommended by the Parks Dept. of NY, 2 large dog organizations in Manhattan, and is presently in the 72nd st. and Thomson Sq. parks.
Although the reccomendation may be true, that shite is not used in the west 72nd street run, nor is it used in the Thompson Sq. Park run. Both are soil and woodchips, sucka.
Now you?re calling me a liar? I physically went to the 72nd. St. run during our research period and have the picture to prove this is the identical surface used there. We ordered from the same supplier and received the same material. They used neither soil nor wood chips, what they didn?t do was make the surface deep enough and the landscape material below is being dug up by the dogs. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
ok PM, i'll give you this one. i havent been to that run since late 2005, and it was dirt and hay (yes, hay) back then. i guess the trump plaza residents on the west side highway complained. but pictures can be altered and since i work up that way, i'll take a peek myself and report back. so - where's the picture of tompkins sq. dog run. i BET that's still woodchips. either way - the surface still sux. but i'm enjoying bringing my dog there. so you aint all that bad for an old fool.

Posted on: 2007/2/12 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
parkman wrote: Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Would you look at that. Trees inside the dog run. And 7 human beings inside the run and every single one of them is relaxing on those nice benches. Very nice.

Posted on: 2007/2/12 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Are those non functioning fire hydrants installed, to give the dogs something to pee at!
Actually, I asked United Water if they had two non-working hydrants they would be willing to donate, should hear back from them this week.

The one in the picture is functional.

Posted on: 2007/2/11 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Are those non functioning fire hydrants installed, to give the dogs something to pee at!

Posted on: 2007/2/11 21:16
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2007/2/11 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Oh it is OVER, Rabbit. Yes indeed. Miss me.

Where is NON?

1. Something I said?
2. Like I care.

Posted on: 2007/2/11 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Oh it is OVER, Rabbit. Yes indeed. Miss me.

Where is NON?

Posted on: 2007/2/11 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
RabbitRabbit, you know I harbor quite the crush on you but ENOUGH. It is unfair to blame the new dog park for your friend's situation without knowing all the details. It sounds horrible and I am sorry it happened to your friend's dog but it could be blamed on several things, not just the new dog park.

And it's even worse to constantly imply that Parkman and Parkman alone is responsible for every single little eensy teensy thing you dislike about this new dog run. First it was funny but now it's not. Honestly, it is completely unfair and you should knock it off. PLEASE.

In the meantime, Parkman, it seems silly to close the dog park until the next rain or hose-down. If people don't like it, people don't have to use it. I like it and my dog likes it and there seem to be quite a few other people who like it too. Plus it's easier to wipe off the gravel dust from the dog park than the goose sh*t from Liberty State Park.

Have a nice day.

listen you little thing... i never meant it to be funny. glad you were amused but that was never the point. And the friend's dog's eye condition is DIRECTLY and SOLELY attributable to that stuff. It was IN THE DOG's EYE just as it is in my dog's CRAP and MOUTH. you know not of what you speak.

I like the run as well - as does my dog - and am doing my part by cleaning up crap left by other owners and the like (probably you). lots of dogowners are there all times of the day - and we talk - and no-one I have spoken to is enamored with the idea of splitting the run or of the dusty, crappy top-surface that Parkman was suckered into buying.

Of course I don't blame him SOLELY. It's just more fun that way since I have no-one else to blame. That doesn't make my arguement any less signifigant, or your amusement and more befuddling.

And as for your comment, "If people don't like it, people don't have to use it," the same can be true of my posts. Don't like what I say, skip over to the next moron. Your choice.

There. Did I kill your crush on me yet? You don't have the right pipes anyway. Parkman has a better chance of getting a piece of the Rabbit - and I've seen Parkman, so that puts things in persepective.

Besides, you have a vag and you know where I stand on that.

Posted on: 2007/2/11 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Posted on: 2007/2/11 18:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/29 10:29
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2007/2/11 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Dog owners never cease to amaze me.

Not so long ago a dog called 'chester' (or his running friend) bit a jogger and I made the remark to sue - which resulted in me being chastised by some.

Here we have a dog who got dust in it's eyes and the 'parkman' is suggested to be responsible for this occurrence. Childless dog owners SEEM to be a special breed and their behavior always amuse me.

With the dust issue, can I make a claim against the construction site nearby that causes dust to enter my factory via the wind, or should I point the finger at his Holiness for creating the wind and forcing me to keep my windows closed while construction is taking place.

As a suggestion with this dust at the dog run (as pointed out by parkie on day one) buy some goggles for the dog!

Posted on: 2007/2/11 17:30
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
RabbitRabbit, you know I harbor quite the crush on you but ENOUGH. It is unfair to blame the new dog park for your friend's situation without knowing all the details. It sounds horrible and I am sorry it happened to your friend's dog but it could be blamed on several things, not just the new dog park.

And it's even worse to constantly imply that Parkman and Parkman alone is responsible for every single little eensy teensy thing you dislike about this new dog run. First it was funny but now it's not. Honestly, it is completely unfair and you should knock it off. PLEASE.

In the meantime, Parkman, it seems silly to close the dog park until the next rain or hose-down. If people don't like it, people don't have to use it. I like it and my dog likes it and there seem to be quite a few other people who like it too. Plus it's easier to wipe off the gravel dust from the dog park than the goose sh*t from Liberty State Park.

Have a nice day.

Posted on: 2007/2/11 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Call the fire department - they would love to help out the community with a truck full of water to hose in the new turf.

You won't know if you don't ask!

Posted on: 2007/2/11 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RABBITRABBIT wrote:
and hats off to the wonderful dog run, which seems to be bringing much business (now and in the future to area vets). My next door nieghbor, a nice woman with a really sweet dog, was so excited to have soemwhere to take her dog off leash. she is too old to chase it otherwise and refused to let it loose inthe park before. the dog has gotten a horrible eye infection and the vet - not sure which one, says that the dusts and debris, probably attributable to the new surface, is the cause.

i still don't know why, with so many nieghboring dog runs to use as examples, parkman chose this surface. there are surfaces in NY that are plain dirt, wood chips, concrete, small gravel..... none of those cause me to have to wipe the dog down before going bank into the hoouse, scrap a pair of work shoes cause they are filthy, or take the dog to the vet and incurr unforeseen medical expenses (not me yet, but rue the day).

the dogs love it. but the dogs would have loved to run on other, btetter surfaces. parkman, sho sold you on this flawed product? it sucks.
The surface in the VVP run is the same product being recommended by the Parks Dept. of NY, 2 large dog organizations in Manhattan, and is presently in the 72nd st. and Thomson Sq. parks.

As I have stated from the first day the run was opened, this surface will throw off a fine dust until we get a good rain. There are two signs on the entrance gate telling dog owners of the same.

That said, the last thing I want to happen, is for dogs to have an adverse reaction to this dust. Since we have no water source in the park during the winter and we have had no rain since the run was opened, tomorrow I will ask Public Works to tap into the fire hydrant and saturate the area to wash away this dust. If they cannot get to it tomorrow, I will close the run until they do. As we have observed, when this surface gets wet it firms up and what remains is a soft stone layer.

I hope your neighbor?s dog is better and this is not a cause and effect incident.
We will do what we can to minimize this as a possibility.

Posted on: 2007/2/11 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
and hats off to the wonderful dog run, which seems to be bringing much business (now and in the future to area vets). My next door nieghbor, a nice woman with a really sweet dog, was so excited to have soemwhere to take her dog off leash. she is too old to chase it otherwise and refused to let it loose inthe park before. the dog has gotten a horrible eye infection and the vet - not sure which one, says that the dusts and debris, probably attributable to the new surface, is the cause.

i still don't know why, with so many nieghboring dog runs to use as examples, parkman chose this surface. there are surfaces in NY that are plain dirt, wood chips, concrete, small gravel..... none of those cause me to have to wipe the dog down before going bank into the hoouse, scrap a pair of work shoes cause they are filthy, or take the dog to the vet and incurr unforeseen medical expenses (not me yet, but rue the day).

the dogs love it. but the dogs would have loved to run on other, btetter surfaces. parkman, sho sold you on this flawed product? it sucks.

Posted on: 2007/2/11 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Webmaster wrote:
I removed 66 posts out of 107 for the purpose of keeping this serious topic on track.

Many of the removed posts seemed to instigate a brawl and were off topic. If you want to have your posts remain they must be on topic, constructive, and polite.

Yes, I can see that. And yes, some of the content was getting off topic, such as the new park signage, and was getting really nasty!

The dog "issue" has been around in these parts for a very long time. But I cannot say it enough.... that it was Parkman that took the initiative in Van Vorst Park and worked tirelessly. He did not do it alone. He worked it out with several community groups and who didn't always agree but they managed to keep it together for the purpose of getting this done. And it could not have happened without community support, funds, assistance with fundraising, and city approval. It could not have reached "success status" with broken ties and relationships.

Congratulations to Parkman and the Friends of Van Vorst Park for pulling it together and working with your neighbors, VVPA, VVDog, Exeter Properties, City officials and the community at large. And anyone I left out. You are an excellent example for us all to follow.

Top of the morning to you!

Posted on: 2007/2/11 14:31

Webmaster
Webmaster

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/25 12:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Webmasters
I removed 66 posts out of 107 for the purpose of keeping this serious topic on track.

Many of the removed posts seemed to instigate a brawl and were off topic. If you want to have your posts remain they must be on topic, constructive, and polite.

Anyone who would like to participate in a brawl can do what the regular Jersey City bums do and have it in the park. Announce the time and place here and I will show up with a video camera.

Posted on: 2007/2/11 10:23

Re: Van Vorst Park---You're on notice!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Can we get back to how the topic at every instance of visiting the dog run is:

a: how the dogrun is a great size for the dogs to run
b: how we will do what we can to keep dogs off the grasses, unles they cant exercise in the run after it's chopped up
c: how bo-one, even the little dog people want to see it chopped up
d: how the surface has already ruined shoes casue its so dusty and how people are takingthier dog to the groomers more to wash them casue that shit is everywhere
e: how one person found the grit in her dogs irritated eye and poop.
and lastly,

how the local stray cats are using it for a litter box!

Posted on: 2007/2/10 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Kindelan wrote:
First let me say that I am a dog lover. My girlfriend is also a dog lover who is currently mourning the loss of her beloved mutt. But we both think the dog run in VVP is WAY TOO BIG for the park that it occupies. The thing is about the same size as the one in Washington Square Park in the city but WSP is a much bigger park. You took out the nice grass and picnic tables to put in this monstrosity???

Don't get me wrong if the community wants a dog-run--fine but aesthetically doesn't everyone see that this dog run dominates terribly the space that it is in? I think it could have been about half the size.

it's no where near as big as the one in washington square park. i couldn't throw a ball from one end of that run to the next. in VVP i could toss a whiffle ball over the fence no prob.

Posted on: 2007/2/9 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Althea wrote:
I believe there should be weekly go cart, motorized of course, races every saturday morning.
Althea

Better yet, put little saddles on the dogs and have babies race around on the dogs...

OK, maybe not.

Weird dog story: my 4-year-old and another preschool child were building a house of sticks in the general purpose/dog run area of Hamilton Park a few months ago, and an apparently sane, non-crazy-home-less-guy kind of guy came up and hand his dog urinate on the little stick house.

It's fine with me if the parks have dog runs, and it's also fine with me if well-behaved dogs and their owners hang out in the parks outside of the dog runs, with our without leashes, but it would be great if the dog phobes would be nice to the dog owners and the dog owners would figure out some way to get along with children who wander outside the playground area.

Posted on: 2007/2/9 21:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I believe there should be weekly go cart, motorized of course, races every saturday morning. That would be fun and for those who don't like dog's in the park, would definitely give the dogs something to think about!

Althea

Posted on: 2007/2/9 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
If there is no dogs in the dog run, can I bring my bocce balls and play their? What about if I get some locals and set-up a course using witches hats and have RC 4x4 races in that area when there are no dogs about?

There must be more then one use for that controlled area that could be used by other groups and activities.

It is just a thought and maybe other groups could book the area via the parkman?

Posted on: 2007/2/8 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I've been begging for a dog run since Montgomery street was taken away. Aesthetics, Schmetics, I still think it is too small and I have two children.

I think the plaground is definitely big enough, because children, wild monkeys that they are, can climb up for their exercise. Dogs, generally, do not. They need room and there are many, many dogs.

I'll support a Monkey run, if you all support keeping parents from letting their kids piss and poop on the tree INSIDE the children's playground.

Why not have the park benches, besides the ones all around the fountians, and the tables back in another area of the park.... oh that's right those areas are the other 7/8 of the park that kids need in order to play ball games and rip up all the grass on those lawns... silly me!

Althea

Posted on: 2007/2/8 23:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/11 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
Peace Jenny

Posted on: 2007/2/8 20:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Kindelan wrote:
America and Van Vorst Park ----FYO--For Yuppies Only

Anyway jenny don't get it twisted, the thread is simply asking about your opinion about the dog-run's aesthetics. So please keep it there.

This is my 102nd post so respect.

Much respect, Kindelan, of course. My opinion about the dog run is that it is amazing and certainly better than the dried out piece of land with splintery picnic tables and shady characters.

As for yuppie, not sure what that has to do with anything.

Anyway, Kindelan, don't get it twisted.

PEACE.

Posted on: 2007/2/8 20:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/11 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
America and Van Vorst Park ----FYO--For Yuppies Only

Anyway jenny don't get it twisted, the thread is simply asking about your opinion about the dog-run's aesthetics. So please keep it there.

This is my 102nd post so respect.

Posted on: 2007/2/8 20:07

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017