Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
173 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 173

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Private Business Taking Public Spaces for Valet Parking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
I would think it's strictly pick up and drop off. No one is "parking" for a substantial amount of time. Parking would happen in the parking garage, valet only? I wonder if guests can park their own car in the garage.

Before it was "No Parking Anytime" this entire block are the evil "reserved parking" parking spaces - non-residents (or residents) buy a monthly parking pass, enforced M-F. If you don't have a monthly placard - parking officers will print out a ticket quickly and possibly boot your car too. Public can park on this block at night and over the weekends.

Posted on: 2017/7/23 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

I suspect the final part of that no-parking ordinance excluded Residence Inn though they weren't mentioned specifically. The the council winked and nodded their approval. How could you run a large hotel without that kind of access?

The Hyatt has their own valet parking area. I think the hotels by the mall have similar set ups with a proper entry/exit. A hotel that doesn't plan ahead for that when they construct a building shouldn't be located downtown. Taking away several key parking spaces from the city (and generating revenue directly on a city street) is not demonstrating good planning or good community sharing. Just my opinion.

Posted on: 2017/7/23 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users

I suspect the final part of that no-parking ordinance excluded Residence Inn though they weren't mentioned specifically. The the council winked and nodded their approval. How could you run a large hotel without that kind of access?

Posted on: 2017/7/23 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
Ord.17-035
An ordinance supplementing Chapter 332 (Vehicles and Traffic) Article I ll (Parking, Standing and Stopping) amending Section 332-22 (Parking Prohibited at All Times) of the Jersey City Code designating 70 feet in front of the Marriott Hotel on the north side of Columbus Drive and 40 feet in front of the residential tower at 70 Columbus Drive as No Parking Anytime.

Approved by City Council early spring 2017.

That's very useful - thank you! So if it's "no parking anytime" does that mean their valet business is illegal? It's using a tax-payer funded road, not a private piece of property, to run a revenue generating profit center. It shouldn't be allowed IMHO.

Posted on: 2017/7/23 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Ord.17-035
An ordinance supplementing Chapter 332 (Vehicles and Traffic) Article I ll (Parking, Standing and Stopping) amending Section 332-22 (Parking Prohibited at All Times) of the Jersey City Code designating 70 feet in front of the Marriott Hotel on the north side of Columbus Drive and 40 feet in front of the residential tower at 70 Columbus Drive as No Parking Anytime.

Approved by City Council early spring 2017.

Posted on: 2017/7/23 16:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/23 0:39
Group:
Registered Users
If they don't have the parking spots specifically zoned I would call parking authority and see what can be done about it.

You can also try reporting the issue to Jersey City Connect App (SeeClickFix)

Posted on: 2017/7/23 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
I'm just curious as this has become an issue where I live (and where parking is impossible to find). I've noticed some businesses (like the hotel across from Krispy Kreme) reserving public parking spaces with free standing signs for their valet parking. A business where I live has taken two spots on our street and is doing the same (they have a nearby garage and a loading zone so they're really taking advantage IMHO).

Are there any laws prohibiting a private enterprise from using a public street to generate revenue and use spaces exclusively for their business?

This reminds me of a conversation I had with former Mayor Cucci. When he took office, he looked at all empty properties in JC and discover a political person with connections who took then an empty parking lot near Grove Street Station and turned it into a parking lot. He charged rent on public land for parking. Cucci shut down this parking lot.

Posted on: 2017/7/22 17:00

Private Business Taking Public Spaces for Valet Parking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm just curious as this has become an issue where I live (and where parking is impossible to find). I've noticed some businesses (like the hotel across from Krispy Kreme) reserving public parking spaces with free standing signs for their valet parking. A business where I live has taken two spots on our street and is doing the same (they have a nearby garage and a loading zone so they're really taking advantage IMHO).

Are there any laws prohibiting a private enterprise from using a public street to generate revenue and use spaces exclusively for their business?

Posted on: 2017/7/22 15:46

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017