Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Jersey City small business owners tell FEMA they need grants, not loans
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
on November 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM, updated November 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM

SANDY AFTERMATH

Jersey City hosted a town hall meeting yesterday for small business owners affected by Hurricane Sandy, but some city store owners who spoke to The Jersey Journal said they aren?t happy with responses from federal officials.

Representatives from the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the federal Small Business Administration spoke briefly yesterday, telling about 75 people gathered inside City Hall that they can apply for loans, at 4 percent interest, to help them recover from Sandy.

But that?s not helpful, said Wayne Lyons, 52, owner of Soul Flavors Restaurant on Grove Street. The restaurant was closed for five days because of Sandy, which caused floods that destroyed equipment in the restaurant?s basement, Lyons said.

Lyons said he was hoping for grants instead of loans, saying the federal government ?bailed out Wall Street,? so they should bail out small businesses.

FEMA declined to comment.

Louis Carlascio, owner of a Grove Street business that makes braces, shoes and artificial limbs for the handicapped, said his store was flooded during Sandy, though he moved his computers and other equipment to a top floor before the storm hit the region.

Carlascio said that he, too, wasn?t thrilled with the idea of taking out a loan at 4 percent interest to help repair his business.

Mayor Jerramiah Healy said the city offered City Hall as a venue for the meeting so store owners devastated by the ?hellish? hurricane could find out what kind of aid they can receive.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... usiness_own.html#comments

Posted on: 2012/11/15 18:27

Re: FEMA office in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Knowles stressed that it was strictly the mobile sites that were closed.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/11/0 ... centers-due-to-noreaster/

Posted on: 2012/11/8 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
FEMA Disaster Centers Shut Doors 'Due to Weather'

TOTTENVILLE ? They fly into disaster areas, but flee from raindrops.

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20121 ... due-weather#ixzz2BZKGaw2w

Posted on: 2012/11/7 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
I filed online and called the 800-number to check on the status of my application and to ask some follow-up questions.

After following all of the prompts, an automated message "told" me that I would hear from FEMA in two weeks and that the lines were busy with "other callers." I was then disconnected.

I wanted to visit an office today to hopefully get my questions answered, and they're closed due to rain? Really?

You would think with more potential storm damage is on the way, they would man their offices even more.

Posted on: 2012/11/7 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
I'm so confused. Wouldn't they be open because the weather is bad? Aren't they the ones we go to in the case of an emergency?

Posted on: 2012/11/7 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
According to the FEMA website, all FEMA DRCs in NJ are closed today due to the weather. Your tax dollars hard at work.

Posted on: 2012/11/7 13:06

FEMA office in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
FEMA office in Jersey City place to start applying for funds to repair storm damage

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
November 06, 2012 at 1:14 PM

350 Montgomery Street, Jersey City, NJ 07302

The Federal Emergency Management Administration recovery center opening in Jersey City today is a location where people can begin the process of applying for funds and loans to help defray the cost of repairing damage caused by Hurricane Sandy, officials said.

"It is the first step to disaster recovery," said FEMA Public Information Officer Orlando Pilot of the process of registering for assistance.

"Without that, the process does not begin," said Pilot, adding that representatives of state agencies offering assistance will also be available at the center which will be open from 1 p.m. today to 8 p.m. at 350 Montgomery St. Beginning tomorrow, the center will be from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. every day until further notice.

An appointment is not required but residents should bring their Social Security number or card and that of a spouse; their address and zip code; directions to the damaged home or property and contact information such as phone number, email address, and address where the applicant can be contacted, as well as bank account information if the applicant would like disaster assistance funds deposited directly, Jersey City Spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said.

"We have been working closely with FEMA during the storm and its aftermath and asked that an office be opened her in Jersey City so that residents would not have to travel far to get the assistance they need," Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy said. "As we continue to return the city to normalcy and begin the rebuilding and restoration process, we know there are going to be many questions and concerns and we will continue to work side by side with FEMA to bring our residents the answers they need."

The FEMA disaster recovery center is located in the building that houses the Jersey City Museum and Jersey City Medical Center offices.
350 Montgomery Street, Jersey City, NJ 07302

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... e_in_jersey_city_pla.html

Posted on: 2012/11/7 7:54

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017