Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
157 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: DeRosa unanimously re-elected chief and Dehere vice pres - tabled tuition hike out-of-district kids
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

linky wrote:
When I was a teenager I personally knew kids who got into McNair because they knew people at city hall or the board. I was born and raised here...........trust me, not everyone has to pass a test to get in there. This is Jersey City, after all.

I, for one, believe you. Yes, the JC motto should be "who needs excellence and accomplishment when you've got connections?"

Yep, why do you think anyone with excellence and the talent to accompish something moved out. Of course that's not saying much for myself. And I don't even have any connections. What the hell am I still doing here? It must be Toricos.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 21:40

Re: DeRosa unanimously re-elected chief and Dehere vice pres - tabled tuition hike out-of-district kids
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

linky wrote:
When I was a teenager I personally knew kids who got into McNair because they knew people at city hall or the board. I was born and raised here...........trust me, not everyone has to pass a test to get in there. This is Jersey City, after all.

I, for one, believe you. Yes, the JC motto should be "who needs excellence and accomplishment when you've got connections?"

Posted on: 2009/5/1 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/5/1 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

linky wrote:
Why is it okay to negatively impact a Jersey City student's future just so somebody who works for the board can get his average Joe into academic?

One needs to test into McNair. No teacher is getting their "average Joe" child into this school. It's a pretty standard policy that teachers can bring their children into the school district they work at. The issue here is that they are only paying 10% of the real cost, not that kids are going to a school they're not up to standards for.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In my opinion, they shouldn't take any students from outside JC into Academic, regardless of how much they pay.

Academic is a magnet school for gifted JC students. There are a lot of smart kids who are turned away from Academic because it is so hard to get into. Some of those students can not afford the tuition to a good enough school which will be challenging enough for them.

Not getting into Academic can have a dramatic effect on the future of a lot of kids who cannot afford to pay for a top rate private high school.

Why is it okay to negatively impact a Jersey City student's future just so somebody who works for the board can get his average Joe into academic?

Like so many things in our city, it's disgraceful that this is allowed.

I am proud to say that I did not vote for a single member of the current JC Board of Education.

Posted on: 2009/4/30 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City is charging out of towners around $10,000. Loch Arbour is being charged $66,000 for sending their students to another district.
Yvonne
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009 ... _residents_say_schoo.html

Posted on: 2009/4/30 2:49

DeRosa unanimously re-elected chief and Dehere vice pres - tabled tuition hike out-of-district kids
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
DeRosa gets 8th year as ed board chief

Wednesday, April 29, 2009
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jersey City Board of Education members unanimously re-elected William DeRosa president and voted L. Terry Dehere vice president at their reorganization meeting Monday night.

A former history teacher in Jersey City, DeRosa, 67, was re-elected to a fourth three-year term on the board on April 21. He's starting his eighth year as president.
Advertisement

Dehere, 37 - a former NBA player and St. Anthony High School standout - owns a restaurant in Journal Square and has built affordable housing in the city.

Two new members elected April 21 were sworn in: Sean Connors, a Jersey City police detective, and Patricia Sebron, a local business owner and former NJ Transit executive.

The board tabled a resolution to hike tuition rates for out-of-district students who are children of employees who work for the district. The proposed annual rates: Pre-school kindergarten, $1,663; grades 1-5, $1,885; grades 6-8, $1,645; grades 9-12, $1,817.

This issue sparked a firestorm last year when it came to light that five out-of-district students were being charged $1,200 a year to attend McNair Academic High School, one of the nation's top-ranked high school.

Several city officials and board members protested that the real cost to the district and state was more than $12,000.

In 2007, the board voted not to enroll any more out-of-district children in magnet programs, including McNair.

The district permits out-of-district students of non-employees to attend local schools, but those students pay roughly between $9,500 and $10,450 a year.

The board next meets May 21 at 6 p.m. at School 11, 886 Bergen Ave.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 13:01

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017