Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
144 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Man survives six-story plunge from Metropolis Towers - Downtown Jersey City high-rise

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/14 3:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
because the information about the percocet might potentially help others in the future

or because it\'s good to know the guy in the news a year ago wasnt crazy and - yes he\'s doing better now.

Exactly. I do not want to scare anyone away from Percocet but it is helpful to know that there are reported cases in the literature of this relatively rare side effect (which means that if I were to take it, I would just make sure that my wife was made aware to look for any reactions).

As an aside, I know that all of our perceptions run wild and most of us -- especially me -- are skeptical when it comes to posts like mine. It may sound as if I am either trying to protect my friend by presenting a false story or that I am engaging in deluded, wishful thinking because I do not want to accept the negative reality. We know that both of these dynamics occur, and I know that my "skeptic" meter goes off very often.

I hope, however, that my sincerity comes through and that it is seen that what I posted is the truth. My wife - who knows how skeptical I am (I am an engineer and someone who demands proof in everything) - asked me how I initially accepted Percocet as the culprit before talking with my friend. I told her that it was because of my long talks with the detective who came to that conclusion. He was a 15+ year veteran who had that highly skeptical, "heard all the bullsh_t excuses" personna mixed with a very strong intellect. He went through everything he had investigated with me (it was extensive) and was ahead of me with understanding human dynamics. He told me that given all of the cases he investigated and/or was exposed to, this was not a voluntary suicide attempt (if it was, it would be the first one of its kind for him). He then said the only thing he could think of was that it was the percocet.

I then went and did research. I found objective cases reported in the literature of relatively rare reactions of suicidal ideation (as well as attempts and, unfortunately, completions). I then spoke with a PhD-level psychologist who is well-known in her field (is in both academia and private practice and used to conduct clinical trials). She confirmed my research. I then sent this information - via email - to the detective.

When my friend awoke from his medically-induced coma, I waited until he presented the subject. Once he did, I gave him the information. His reaction and extensive explanation of his experiences were the final proof. He was very glad that I shared the information because it was very scary to literally not have any memory of his actions and to not know why he had taken those actions.

I know this is lengthy but ... I wanted to add some detail to the original post.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 3:01

Re: Man survives six-story plunge from Metropolis Towers - Downtown Jersey City high-rise

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Brooklynboy wrote:
... I ask why re-post after almost 9 months. The last posting was 2/15/09

I'm a bit perplexed with the question. That was the first time I've posted (therefore, no 're-post'); I was unaware that this news story existed (I learned of it by accident when searching for my friend's home address).

More importantly, this news item and its associated comment threads still exist (and, as of 11/13/09, come up readily when searching with google). Given this (and given that no-one close to both the victim and the investigation has posted) it's only logical to post important information that wasn't represented in the existing posts. Also, it seems logical that an update on the victim's condition would be additionally appreciated.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Brooklynboy wrote:
I am glad to hear that your friend is doing better but I ask why re-post after almost 9 months. The last posting was 2/15/09

Your friend is one lucky person.

because the information about the percocet might potentially help others in the future

or because it's good to know the guy in the news a year ago wasnt crazy and - yes he's doing better now.

Posted on: 2009/10/22 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
I am glad to hear that your friend is doing better but I ask why re-post after almost 9 months. The last posting was 2/15/09

Your friend is one lucky person.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/27 3:00
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad to hear that he is recovering.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 21:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am a very close friend of the person identified as having attempted suicide. I also spoke at length a number of times with the investigating detective who said that in his long career - where he's investigated many suicide attempts- none of them had the characteristics that this had: where absolutely no signs existed beforehand (doing well at work, no withdrawal from his close-knit family/friends, no money or personal crises, etc.). The detective told me that the only thing he could think of was that it was due to a bad reaction to the Percocet that my friend was taking for the pain after his recent knee operation. I then did a great deal of research, including conferring with a top mental health researcher/clinician. The result is that there are cases of sudden suicidal ideation and actual attempts from Percocet (it's not a common side effect but there are cases in the literature; just as there are cases of suicidal ideation associated with other psychotropic medication). I gave this information to the detective.

When my friend regained consciousness (they kept him sedated for the pain during his initial recovery), I shared this information with him. He was very glad that I did because he literally had no clue as to what happened and how the heck he ended up in the hospital (he said it was very scary to have a memory of being in your room with nothing wrong and then waking up battered in an emergency room). The good news is that he's recovering well and will be able to walk again.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
JP Morgan employee survived six-floor leap

Ricardo Kaulessar
Hudson Reporter

A Downtown Jersey City man survived after jumping for his sixth floor apartment on Tuesday, according to a police report. According to the report, Nishesh L. Sing al, 41, who resides at 280 Marin Blvd., which is known as Metropolis Towers, was found by a building security guard at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday in the building's parking lot bleeding from his face, upper arm, and chest, and with stab wounds.

The report says police in their search of Singal's apartment found blood on the bedroom floor, bathroom floor, and the victim's bed. Also, police found no evidence of anyone else staying in the apartment.

Singal, an employee of the JP Morgan Chase Bank in Manhattan, was treated for lacerations to his chest and upper arms and broken bones in his face, pelvis, legs and feet, and was listed in critical condition at the Jersey City Medical Center. Calls for an update on his condition as of Friday were not returned.

Police believed the incident was a suicide attempt. ? Ricardo Kaulessar

Was it really necessary to put the person full name in the paper?

Score 1 for Hudson Reporter for being tacky!

Posted on: 2009/2/14 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
JP Morgan employee survived six-floor leap

Ricardo Kaulessar
Hudson Reporter

A Downtown Jersey City man survived after jumping for his sixth floor apartment on Tuesday, according to a police report. According to the report, Nishesh L. Sing al, 41, who resides at 280 Marin Blvd., which is known as Metropolis Towers, was found by a building security guard at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday in the building's parking lot bleeding from his face, upper arm, and chest, and with stab wounds.

The report says police in their search of Singal's apartment found blood on the bedroom floor, bathroom floor, and the victim's bed. Also, police found no evidence of anyone else staying in the apartment.

Singal, an employee of the JP Morgan Chase Bank in Manhattan, was treated for lacerations to his chest and upper arms and broken bones in his face, pelvis, legs and feet, and was listed in critical condition at the Jersey City Medical Center. Calls for an update on his condition as of Friday were not returned.

Police believed the incident was a suicide attempt. ? Ricardo Kaulessar

Posted on: 2009/2/14 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
jeez.. you know how some people really have it coming to them? well this guy definitely DID NOT have it coming to him at all

http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/jerse ... 23433715756070.xml&coll=3

"A 41-year-old bank employee survived a suicide attempt yesterday after stabbing himself multiple times and then jumping from his sixth-floor balcony at the Metropolis Towers on Marin Boulevard in Downtown Jersey City, police reports said. "

unfortunate that the economy (most likely, although who knows what other problems he might have been facing) would drive someone to this. if he does recover, i hope that he doesnt try it again in the future

Posted on: 2009/2/11 13:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/7 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
"Jersey Journal file photo" aka, old

Shouldn't attempted suicide kind of imply a DNR request?

Posted on: 2009/2/10 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ansky wrote:
Is that an old picture? It looks like everyone is wearing short sleeves and shorts, and it looks like there are leaves on the tree.

It's a Jersey Journal file photo

Posted on: 2009/2/10 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Very sad story -- I wonder if this is partly due to the economy -- there have always seemed to be too many suicides at the waterfront -- not sure what stresses cause them.

I hope the person fully recovers!

Posted on: 2009/2/10 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Is that an old picture? It looks like everyone is wearing short sleeves and shorts, and it looks like there are leaves on the tree.

Posted on: 2009/2/10 16:54

Man survives six-story plunge from Metropolis Towers - Downtown Jersey City high-rise
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Man survives six-story plunge from Downtown Jersey City high-rise

by Charles Hack/The Jersey Journal
Tuesday February 10, 2009, 11:20 AM

A man survived a six-story fall from the Metropolis Towers in Downtown Jersey City this morning, police said.

Police are investigating an apparent suicide attempt at the Metropolis Towers on Marin Boulevard in Downtown Jersey City where a man in his late 30s or early 40s is believed to have jumped from a sixth-floor balcony, JCPD spokesman Stan Eason told The Jersey Journal.

The man survived the plunge but the extent of his injuries couldn't be learned.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ves_sixtstory_plunge.html

Posted on: 2009/2/10 16:51

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017