Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Tivo / Phone Service
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nikyrob wrote:
Does it matter if I have a cable modem or not? I was thinking about switching over to Verizon. Will I be able to run Tivo through Verizon's internet service?

The amount of data that's transferred is so small that it doesn't make any difference what service you use... if there are any open wifi spots you can get the Tivo wireless adapter and just use that too.

Mark.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 0:03
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/19 13:54
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Does it matter if I have a cable modem or not? I was thinking about switching over to Verizon. Will I be able to run Tivo through Verizon's internet service?

Thanks again, you all have been so helpful!

Posted on: 2008/8/22 21:21
"His father was a mudder.
-His father was a mudder?
-His mother was a mudder.
-His mother was a mudder?
-What did I just say?"

-Kramer

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/14 18:55
Group:
Registered Users
"...Did you have the $10/month Verizon plan that ended up costing $30 with fees? That's annoying!"

Yep, it was $9.85 and they just raised it to $11.??. It was annoying! Tivo made a call a day, and I had to pay for each call, so I kept the line unplugged for a few days at a time. (I'm cheap). MUCH happier without the landline.

If he got the unit in 2006, I'm sure it's a Series 2.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
I have a series 2 Tivo and a series 3 in my apartment and both have lifetime subscriptions. They are both connected wirelessly through the Netgear router I have. I actually just connected the series 2 tivo last week with the Tivo wireless adapter I purchased on Amazon. Everything has been working fine.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 20:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

oJcanuC wrote:
Funny you should ask, but I just had the pleasure of cancelling my land line service with Verizon last week -- which I had ONLY for Tivo. I didn't have cable at my old place. I had bare bones minimum land line service, but with all the taxes and other nonsense FCC line charges, it was over $30 a month.

In my new place, we have cable (with wireless) and only use cell phones for phonecalls. We just hooked up my Series 2 (with Lifetime subscription) using the Tivo wireless adapter and it works great -- purchased the Tivo wireless adapter at Amazon.com for $39.99. I suggest getting the Tivo adapter to avoid problems with incompatible adapters.

Before connecting wirelessly, it was hooked up to the cable modem, so you can definitely do it through cable.....as long as it's not a Series 1, as Scottacus said. There might be an issue with early model Series 2, as well, so do check. Mine was a late model Series 2 purchased in Nov 2004.

Hope it helps.

Thanks, that was actually really helpful! Did you have the $10/month Verizon plan that ended up costing $30 with fees? That's annoying!

I'm having my boyfriend look into which model he has. He thinks it's a series 2. He got it in May or June of 2006. I will look into the Tivo wireless adaptor from Amazon - hopefully that will work with the model he has.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2008/8/4 19:53
-What did I just say?"

-Kramer

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/14 18:55
Group:
Registered Users
Funny you should ask, but I just had the pleasure of cancelling my land line service with Verizon last week -- which I had ONLY for Tivo. I didn't have cable at my old place. I had bare bones minimum land line service, but with all the taxes and other nonsense FCC line charges, it was over $30 a month.

In my new place, we have cable (with wireless) and only use cell phones for phonecalls. We just hooked up my Series 2 (with Lifetime subscription) using the Tivo wireless adapter and it works great -- purchased the Tivo wireless adapter at Amazon.com for $39.99. I suggest getting the Tivo adapter to avoid problems with incompatible adapters.

Before connecting wirelessly, it was hooked up to the cable modem, so you can definitely do it through cable.....as long as it's not a Series 1, as Scottacus said. There might be an issue with early model Series 2, as well, so do check. Mine was a late model Series 2 purchased in Nov 2004.

Hope it helps.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
You can update your Tivo over the Internet depending on which model you have. I think on most models you need to buy a wireless network adapter for like $50.

If it's the old original Tivo (Series 1) you have to use a phone line. In that case you can get the most basic plan from Verizon for like $10 a month.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 18:52

Tivo / Phone Service
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
My boyfriend is moving to JC in several weeks, and he has a Tivo, that gets updated (I believe daily) through a land phone line. I'm used to living with just a cell phone, & I would like to avoid getting a land line if possible.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know if it's possible to have a Tivo without a land phone line? Is there anyway to run Tivo through, say, our cable modem?

2. Does anyone know which company offers the cheapest, bare-minimum, land line phone service to downtown JC? Any bad experiences or companies to avoid? This phone line would be rarely used (basically only Tivo & food delivery that requests local number). Most phone calls (esp. long distance) would be made through our cell phones.

Any suggestions? Getting a DVR through Comcast is not an option. I don't want to give any more money than necessary to them, & my boyfriend doesn't pay a monthly fee for his Tivo (he's had it since back when they offered service for life).

THANKS!

Posted on: 2008/8/4 18:46
-What did I just say?"

-Kramer

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password: