Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Steam Heat - pipes banging. Any recommnedation for plumber that knows how to rectify
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Is there no diminution of heat when you reduce the pressure like that?

No, but the boiler cycles on and off a lot more of course. I don?t think that?s an issue however.

Posted on: 2017/11/12 20:29

Re: Steam Heat - pipes banging. Any recommnedation for plumber that knows how to rectify
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Is there no diminution of heat when you reduce the pressure like that?

Posted on: 2017/11/12 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yorkster wrote:
Thanks. I had renovations done so many of the radiators were removed when floors were being refinished. I?ve checked the pitch of all the radiators and they seem to be tilted toward the line. Is there a certain degree recommended? I?ve called Royal Plumbing as well so hopefully they can do a complete diagnostic and identify where or what is causing the issue.

Check the pitch of the actual pipes (cause of knocking in my addition). Also, at what pressure does your boiler cut-off at? High pressure was the cause of knocking in my old/original portion of the house. My boiler used to cut-off at 4 psi, the lowest I could get it to go was ~2psi with the normal pressuretrol (still was knocking). So I got a vaporstat pressuretrol and it now cuts out at less then a lb of pressure...no knocking. The only noise left now is when it first starts, the radiator air vents breath and there is a little creaking of pipes warming up and expanding. I may hunt those rub points down and place rubber to stop the creaking, but it doesn?t bother us so I haven?t been motivated. Good luck, it took me a little while to get mine working the way we wanted. I do really like the heat much better than forced air now that it works well.

Posted on: 2017/11/12 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks. I had renovations done so many of the radiators were removed when floors were being refinished. I?ve checked the pitch of all the radiators and they seem to be tilted toward the line. Is there a certain degree recommended? I?ve called Royal Plumbing as well so hopefully they can do a complete diagnostic and identify where or what is causing the issue.

Posted on: 2017/11/12 3:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:
I had terrible banging in our system but now have it working silently. It all came down to 1) ensuring a low operating pressure/cutoff (Honeywell vapourstat) and 2) proper pipe pitch (back to boiler if single pipe).

How do you get bad pitch in a 100 year old building? Settling?

The pitch of the steam pipes in the original structure was fine, the pitch in the addition wasn?t.

Posted on: 2017/11/12 3:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:
I had terrible banging in our system but now have it working silently. It all came down to 1) ensuring a low operating pressure/cutoff (Honeywell vapourstat) and 2) proper pipe pitch (back to boiler if single pipe).

How do you get bad pitch in a 100 year old building? Settling?

Posted on: 2017/11/11 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Steam heat sucks, but most houses of the Jersey City era have them unless new construction (advisable).

Looks like an interesting book, there are certainly home tweaks to getting the systems more efficient and can be done by the less handy, worth troubleshooting before paying a plumber.

#heat

I had terrible banging in our system but now have it working silently. It all came down to 1) ensuring a low operating pressure/cutoff (Honeywell vapourstat) and 2) proper pipe pitch (back to boiler if single pipe). I now prefer having steam heat to forced air. I did some of the work myself and called Chris from Royal Heating when I needed help. I didn?t read the book below but did read the forums linked to below. I found it?s actuall a very simple mechanical system once you understand it and you can easily fix issues or even adjust heat levels in parts of your house. Now if my AC went...no choice but to call someone.

Posted on: 2017/11/11 5:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Steam heat sucks, but most houses of the Jersey City era have them unless new construction (advisable).

Looks like an interesting book, there are certainly home tweaks to getting the systems more efficient and can be done by the less handy, worth troubleshooting before paying a plumber.

#heat

Posted on: 2017/11/10 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
Come on it was being installed 120 years ago and the premise still works.

Perhaps so, but when I hear terms like wet steam and dry steam my head wants to explode.

Posted on: 2017/11/10 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
If you don't get a plumber recommendation:

The Lost Art of Steam Heating

Amusing the used copies are same price as new. Steam is pretty near voodoo as far as I can tell. Truly stupid system and implementation. If you add hardwood floors there's simply no elegant way to raise the radiator valve to match. You're stuck using 2 45s or, like the previous owner, drilling holes in the new floor for the feet.

When I need help I go to https://forum.heatinghelp.com/categories/strictly-steam. Found a good contractor there, but he stopped doing residential.

Come on it was being installed 120 years ago and the premise still works. It may be weird by today's standards, but it works, and there is a certain level of charm to it. Nobody is going to put it in a new home, but for these older homes here it's probably pretty common.

Posted on: 2017/11/10 19:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/16 13:54
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
We like Chris Croft and his dad at Royal.
Do you need to bleed your radiator? That's pretty easy to do.

Posted on: 2017/11/10 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:

Amusing the used copies are same price as new. Steam is pretty near voodoo as far as I can tell. Truly stupid system and implementation. If you add hardwood floors there's simply no elegant way to raise the radiator valve to match. You're stuck using 2 45s or, like the previous owner, drilling holes in the new floor for the feet.

When I need help I go to https://forum.heatinghelp.com/categories/strictly-steam. Found a good contractor there, but he stopped doing residential.

Posted on: 2017/11/10 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yorkster wrote:
Hi All- I have a steam heat as many of us in these old homes and for some reason my pipes have been banging progressively worse. Has anyone had a similar situation and hired a specific plumber that rectified the issue? I know the steam systems are very finicky and not all plumbers know how to address it properly. Thanks in advance!

Petrusic Plumbing Heating

201-739-3916

Krueger Heating

(201) 869-6703

Posted on: 2017/11/10 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users

I had a similar issue in my previous home that had an ancient steam heat system. I ended up figuring it out on my own.

Single steam pipe or double pipe system?

If single pipe, could be a radiator or a riser has water building up, instead of draining back to the boiler.

Posted on: 2017/11/10 15:55

Steam Heat - pipes banging. Any recommnedation for plumber that knows how to rectify
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
Hi All- I have a steam heat as many of us in these old homes and for some reason my pipes have been banging progressively worse. Has anyone had a similar situation and hired a specific plumber that rectified the issue? I know the steam systems are very finicky and not all plumbers know how to address it properly. Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2017/11/10 15:37

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017