Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
169 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 169

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Cordero
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
So, the bottom line is Cordero is improving.

I thought it should be. I mean, if previously all parents who cared about the kids education were sending their kids elsewhere if only they had the means to do so, and now some of them are sending their kids to Cordero - even with all other factors being the same, that should improve the school right there.

Posted on: 2016/5/28 15:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/12 1:21
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
My two children go to Cordero and we are very happy there. They are thriving and I love being part of such a diverse community. Cordero has always been a fairly solid school with highly regarded teachers. Its rating is simply reflective of its student body, which is more diverse than the neighborhood given the charter school hysteria. If you?re zoned for Cordero, I suggest you take a tour and speak with parents.

Posted on: 2016/5/13 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Is the schoolhouse at 9th & Marin such a financial fustercluck that the city can't use it themselves?

The CERC building (180 9th Street) now has a 5-year lease (with option to buy) from JCRA (Jersey City Redevelopment - an "autonomous" Jersey City agency) through Hudson County.

Hudson County is using it for their Explore 2000 program - the junior high version of High Tech. The program is expanding as far as I understand, is competitive to get into, and is popular amongst the parents I know whose children are enrolled.

More: http://www.hcstonline.org/explore2000/

Posted on: 2016/5/12 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
The changing perception of Cordero is great news for the neighborhood. I was shocked when a friend said that they are oversubscribed and have a lottery to get in! It's not a long term solution busing kids out of your neighborhood for kindergarten.

Think of all the large 'family" apartment buildings coming up on 10th and up on Jersey. Clearly DT needs another k-12, probably on the waterfront. Is the schoolhouse at 9th & Marin such a financial fustercluck that the city can't use it themselves? I don't even know who the current tenant is. Or maybe make the diocese an offer they can't refuse on the old Ressurection school on 7th.

Posted on: 2016/5/12 16:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/25 7:29
Group:
Registered Users
By ratings, I assume you mean the state performance report which can be found here: http://www.state.nj.us/education/pr/1415/17/172390300.pdf

Or are you going by Zillow? http://www.zillow.com/jersey-city-nj/ ... -elementary-school-91761/

The data from the first link is pretty comprehensive and largely reflects socioeconomic trends among students. Zillow is an oversimplified and out-of-date version of the state report. You should also realize there is a relatively high percentage of special needs students which is a factor unaccounted for in "ratings".

Our experience there is very, very positive. We have had outstanding teachers and our child is getting an excellent education there. Most others we know have had similar experiences.

If you are considering Cordero for your child(ren) and have questions or concerns, make an appointment for a tour of the school and see for yourself - (201)714-4390

Posted on: 2016/5/12 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
talk to parents that are there, not just pre-K. I do not believe it was ever that bad in recent times. regarding ratings - the school population in K thru 8 more reflects a general JC school population, rather than the immediate neighborhood and the top 10 to 15% of 5th graders test into magnets programs elsewhere rather than stay for middle school (6-8 grade) which obviously hurts scores and ratings. there is no honors (hope) program.

my children had a good experience there and continue to succeed academically. email me with any questions.

Quote:

borisp wrote:
What's the deal with Cordero? All ratings are really low, yet our friends whose child goes there in pre-K say nice things. Is it getting better?

Posted on: 2016/5/12 16:23

Cordero
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
What's the deal with Cordero? All ratings are really low, yet our friends whose child goes there in pre-K say nice things. Is it getting better?

Posted on: 2016/5/12 4:44

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017