Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: What are my rights with my rental lease?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/8 19:06
Group:
Registered Users
It sounds a little fishy that the landlord is making you pay for something that's a structural issue (or even HVAC).

That said, I have a few houses where the lease says (lawyer approved) something like the tenant is responsible for anything less than $10 dollars to repair. And encourages them to call me or a list of approved contractors to deal with the rest.

The $10 thing is just to prevent some high maintenance tenants calling due to a broken lightbulb or some random AA battery.

Posted on: 2015/4/23 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
You've been taken for a ride, I have 3 tenants and this is not ethical or legal. I would move.

Posted on: 2015/2/21 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Its a scam for ignorant out of State or Country tenants - 10/10 for calling consumer affairs to understand your rights.

Posted on: 2015/2/21 1:04
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Nothing inherently wrong with tenant fronting the money for minor stuff, like an appliance repair visit, exterminator, or minor plumbing. As long as there's a good relationship, it works well because they're there and you're not, so it gets the job done with least hassle and most satisfaction all around. Structural repairs are indeed a different story.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 23:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
You should not be paying for any of these things. Wow. You're being taken advantage of by your landlord. It's his responsibility to upkeep the place and make it safe and habitable, not yours. You should get all the money you gave him back. The only time that I could see you paying is if you directly broke something by mistake. It also sounds like the building isn't safe structurally. I have an old Victorian and if I had my doorways behaving that way it would freak me out. If your landlord gives you a hard time then I would get out and find another place.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 22:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/5 12:37
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
careful! do not pay any repair unless you were directly responsible.

also in most cases with holding rent becomes a huge PITA legally they can come after you as per most leases and renting laws.

any repairs are to be done by the owner unless caused by the renter.

same goes for some shady owners who try to force renters to pay maintenance or taxes. none of these are legal. you pay the agreed rent and that is what is legally binding (utilities and the such are case by case)

Posted on: 2015/2/20 21:52
Censorship is for pussies!!!!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyJanet wrote:
I phoned Consumer Affairs Tenant department and they told me it's illegal for the landlord to charge me to repair items in the condo. What is surprising is it was a real estate firm who arranged the lease and added the addendum. The person I spoke to at CA was shocked they had the balls to add it in. He said the only time it works is if the landlord puts in a washer dryer system where it takes quarters. But that isn't the case here. Equally shocked I was stupid enough to sign it, but that's another story.

I have written my landlord to ask them to take it out of my lease and that I will arrange repair, stick around for repair and pay for repair up front (and take it out of rent) but I won't be paying the first $100 for repairs. Still curious if anyone has ever encountered this type of thing before.

Why even cover the repair cost up front, even if you subtract it from the rent. What if its a $5k repair? I suggest you call the JC government's Office of Landlord/Tenant relations and speak with Charles Odei, the head. He is very helpful and knowlegeable on these matters.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 21:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/19 14:50
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I phoned Consumer Affairs Tenant department and they told me it's illegal for the landlord to charge me to repair items in the condo. What is surprising is it was a real estate firm who arranged the lease and added the addendum. The person I spoke to at CA was shocked they had the balls to add it in. He said the only time it works is if the landlord puts in a washer dryer system where it takes quarters. But that isn't the case here. Equally shocked I was stupid enough to sign it, but that's another story.

I have written my landlord to ask them to take it out of my lease and that I will arrange repair, stick around for repair and pay for repair up front (and take it out of rent) but I won't be paying the first $100 for repairs. Still curious if anyone has ever encountered this type of thing before.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 20:56

What are my rights with my rental lease?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/19 14:50
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I am renting and going in to my 3rd year signing of a lease in DTJC. My landlord put an addendum in saying I would be responsible for the first $100 of any repair. I signed the lease but somehow it ended up where I would always say I'd pay the first $50 and that worked out fine. If it was something large that I thought was not related to my living in the property and tenant wear and tear I'd suggest he pay in full and he'd agree (when the HVAC completely broke down and needed replacing for instance). But more often than not I'd pay the first $50 of the HVAC smaller system repairs, the dryer repair (it needed fixing twice - once the motor blew, second the pulley and band needed replacing).

Going in to my 3rd year I'm concerned about the fact there seems to be more things happening on the property now that it's no longer new, structural things that are really owner upkeep issues or the way the building was built issues that need attention and I'm not as comfortable with this arrangement if I have to put up the $100 each time something needs doing. For instance, the building settled and the front door frame is crushing the door to the point it's hard to open. I don't feel comfortable paying a portion for that....

Also, as I've always thought it was $50, and the landlord never took issue, it's equally difficult to negotiate taking it out of the lease, or reducing it, seeing as we've never abided by this addendum properly by sheer accident.

I've talked to my peers and none of them have this addendum in their lease agreements and think it's not legal.

Anyone have knowledge on this issue?

Posted on: 2015/2/20 18:54

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017