Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
54 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 54

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City condo owners to receive $15.71 million in settlement of lawsuit: report
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
I'm going to back to school to become a lawyer.

I don't think so. I know of very FEW attorneys that are happy they are in their chosen field. It is a career fraught with stress, and long hours. If you go into BIG LAW (say, a job with any top law firm) you are expected to bill at least 50 hours per week, which means you are working 60 to 70 hours per week. That's 12 hours a day for six days. Add in commuting time, and sleep time, and you are essentially living to be at work. The pressure gets to a lot of associates. Not at all uncommon to see lots of divorced lawyers, or in sad relationships that have little fulfillment. Lots of people burn out. If you don't go into a big law gig, you are likely working for a small outfit, or doing the government track, in which case you are saddled with a debt load that will crush you (this is also applicable to those going into law firms, but at least there you are compensated highly).

A municipal judge in this area will barely make over 100K. That sounds like a lot until you take out taxes, basic living expenses and the paying of your law school debt.

+1.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 13:54

Re: Jersey City condo owners to receive $15.71 million in settlement of lawsuit: report
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:

I don't think so. I know of very FEW attorneys that are happy they are in their chosen field. It is a career fraught with stress, and long hours. If you go into BIG LAW (say, a job with any top law firm) you are expected to bill at least 50 hours per week, which means you are working 60 to 70 hours per week. That's 12 hours a day for six days. Add in commuting time, and sleep time, and you are essentially living to be at work. The pressure gets to a lot of associates. Not at all uncommon to see lots of divorced lawyers, or in sad relationships that have little fulfillment. Lots of people burn out. If you don't go into a big law gig, you are likely working for a small outfit, or doing the government track, in which case you are saddled with a debt load that will crush you (this is also applicable to those going into law firms, but at least there you are compensated highly).

A municipal judge in this area will barely make over 100K. That sounds like a lot until you take out taxes, basic living expenses and the paying of your law school debt.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/17 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I wonder how much of that $15+ mil will go to the lawyers? 20%? 30%? more?

If I had to guess, I would say at LEAST 33%, which is fairly standard. If the litigation was carried out on contingency (most likely, since it would keep things simple for the litigants) is likely to amount to 40 or 50 percent, as the attorney expenses will come off the top, and then they would get paid their actual fees from the amount leftover after expenses and litigation fees are deducted.

And, of course, I am sure many will find that excessive. But, consider this: how much money would they have gotten without then lawyers? Probably zero. Or, a pittance from the Port Libert? people. Litigation is expensive.

Posted on: 2014/11/17 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder how much of that $15+ mil will go to the lawyers? 20%? 30%? more?

Posted on: 2014/11/17 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
By Patrick McGovern | The Jersey Journal

Owners in a condominium complex on the Jersey City waterfront will receive $15.71 million in the settlement of a lawsuit that claimed deficient construction of their homes, according to a story in the NJ Law Journal.

One of the attorneys representing the Port Liberte II Condominium Association, John Randy Sawyer, told the NJ Law Journal that the association reached settlement agreements with the last of a total of 32 defendants on Sept. 18, during a trial before Hudson County Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Jablonski.

The New Liberty Residential Urban Renewal Co. development, a 225-unit complex on Chapel Avenue in Jersey City that includes three towers and 14 townhouses, was completed in 2006.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... veloper.html#incart_river

Good for them! Condo's in Jersey City are not worth the money, they use the same construction as the do for the senior citizen housing on Ocean ave. Its shameful, paper walls and you want me to pay what? GTFOH!

Posted on: 2014/11/17 18:18

Jersey City condo owners to receive $15.71 million in settlement of lawsuit: report
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By Patrick McGovern | The Jersey Journal

Owners in a condominium complex on the Jersey City waterfront will receive $15.71 million in the settlement of a lawsuit that claimed deficient construction of their homes, according to a story in the NJ Law Journal.

One of the attorneys representing the Port Liberte II Condominium Association, John Randy Sawyer, told the NJ Law Journal that the association reached settlement agreements with the last of a total of 32 defendants on Sept. 18, during a trial before Hudson County Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Jablonski.

The New Liberty Residential Urban Renewal Co. development, a 225-unit complex on Chapel Avenue in Jersey City that includes three towers and 14 townhouses, was completed in 2006.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... veloper.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/11/17 18:16

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017