Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
175 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 175

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Parents For Excellence - Carol Harrison-Arnold, Monica Kress & Bertram Okpokwasili
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
Maybe it is ridiculous to you, Yvonne, since you don't have any children currently in the system. But for those of us that are in the real-life situation of having school age children, more charters would be a huge blessing. The schools in downtown currently have more capactiy than they can handle, in any event, so I don't think we need to worry about capacity issues.

My children attended Catholic schools, they did not use taxpayers' money. But I have attended Board of ed meetings and I have seen teachers complain about the lack of books, supplies, etc. You cannot support two public schools, especially when the current mayor and previous mayors have made tax abatements prevalent. Too many people are losing their homes either in tax liens or sheriff sales due to high taxes. Mayor Fulop is silent for that subject: foreclosures and tax liens, I guess it doesn't fit with his selling of JC.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 22:22

Re: Parents For Excellence - Carol Harrison-Arnold, Monica Kress & Bertram Okpokwasili
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
The Children's First Team is going to have relatively little information on their ELEC report. As will Joel Torres. The overwhelming majority of the funding and resources came through Garden State Forward, the NJEA Super-PAC.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/11 10:27
Group:
Registered Users
My people??? I don't know who you are referring to . I read a post, copied and shared it on here.

I have never heard any school board member attack charter schools.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
amc - the point is - nobody cares - your people won - case over. But I really wouldn't be bragging that they did it "jersey city style". That's actually pretty embarrassing and not something to be bragging about.
And as much as you would like to poo-poo charter schools, why do you think every parent in Jersey City is trying to get their kid in one? Several of the Charter schools in JC have great reputations and are a much better alternative (if you can get in) to the local public school. It really disturbs me that there seems to be a faction (possibly now on the BOA) that are attacking our excellent charter schools - the one good thing JC has going for it.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
you can easily download the elect report. It is public information

Posted on: 2015/1/8 18:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/25 12:21
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

amc wrote:
No sore winners or losers here, just sharing donor info.

So where is the donor details for the other side? Might as well post it all since you're in the giving mood

Posted on: 2015/1/8 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pink Hula Hoop-Charter School or money laundering for profit?
On January 6, 2015 before a hearing of the Joint Committee on the Public Schools (JCPS), Newark Schools Sup?t Cami Anderson would not answer any questions regarding Pink Hula Hoop. If, as a taxpayer, you find this suspicious, help the JCPS get the subpoena power it needs to further investigate.
Call or email Sen. President Stephen Sweeney: (856) 339-0808 SenSweeney@njleg.org....& feel free to share.

https://attachment.fbsbx.com/file_down ... 957&hash=ASs7uFCCRds_Ld_I

Posted on: 2015/1/8 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
No sore winners or losers here, just sharing donor info.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
When the various Fulop backed/Parents for Progress candidates won their elections, you did not see such griping and whining two months after the fact about the opposition who lost. There is a real vindictiveness here from certain elements who supported the union's slate.

I've seen sore losers in these types of situations. But I haven't seen a sore winner quite like this.

It's largely anonymous, which gives Ronnie Greco the plausible deniability he needs. He can claim he's taking the high road while allowing his surrogates to play dirty.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Maybe it is ridiculous to you, Yvonne, since you don't have any children currently in the system. But for those of us that are in the real-life situation of having school age children, more charters would be a huge blessing. The schools in downtown currently have more capactiy than they can handle, in any event, so I don't think we need to worry about capacity issues.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Taxpayers cannot afford to spend money on both public and charter schools. It is a myth that money follow children in charter schools. If a public classroom has 24 students and one leaves and go to charter schools, the public school must still pay the salary of the public school teacher and maintain the physical structure. It becomes ridiculous in JC to pay for everything especially when tax abatements do not fund the board of education but those buildings bring in more families.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Whats so wrong about bringing charters to Jersey City schools? I think most parents would welcome more. Every parent is clamoring to get their kids in charters, because the public school system at large in JC is not particularly attractive.

I don't want to do education "jersey city style". This is not something to brag about.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

CaptainOats wrote:
And please tell us where all the money for the opposition came from? Please don't try to tell it was all raised by knocking on doors in JC. They unions bused in teachers from all over New Jersey to campaign, that's Jersey City style??

You have no clue what the Friends of Monica Kress group is, so don't make assumptions.

I gave donations to the opposition group, although not as much as the others gave. I probably gave between $100 to $200 to various candidates. I believe their money came for individuals like me.

I did not read any reports but I have attended some fundraisers, they were packed by individuals like me who wanted change. Two of the candidates I supported were backed by the Teacher's union so most likely funds came from them. I saw many local people at those fundraisers.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 15:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
You're kidding yourself if you believe most of the money came from 'people like you'. There is no way they raised 3/4 of a million dollars for the 2014 campaign strictly from the Jersey City tax base.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CaptainOats wrote:
And please tell us where all the money for the opposition came from? Please don't try to tell it was all raised by knocking on doors in JC. They unions bused in teachers from all over New Jersey to campaign, that's Jersey City style??

You have no clue what the Friends of Monica Kress group is, so don't make assumptions.

I gave donations to the opposition group, although not as much as the others gave. I probably gave between $100 to $200 to various candidates. I believe their money came for individuals like me.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 14:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/8 11:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Post-Mortem on BOE Election

The opposition, Parents For Excellence, repeatedly vowed they had absolutely no desire to privatize aspects of the JCPS.

Well, a quick glance at their December 15, 2015 ELEC report and some Google searches shows something very disturbing.

It should make us all feel great that our individual PAC contributions and free time paid off.

We didn?t ask for thousands of dollars from hedge funders and pay thousands for political strategists.

We did it Jersey City style. We are not for sale. Take a looksee:

Mark Nunnely of Massachussetts, former managing director for Bain Capital. Yes, Bain Capital, Mitt Romney?s Bain Capital---$5,200
David Tepper, founder of hedge fund Appaloosa Mgmt--$5,200
Steurt Walton of the privatizing Walton family and founders of anti-union retail chain Walmart--$2,600
Jonathan D. Sackler?Founder of Purdue Pharma--$7,800
Mike Bloomberg, former NYC Mayor and billionaire, NYC schools privatizer--$7,800
Candice Osborne, Ward E Councilwoman--$2,600
Ellen Simon, current Board member, privatizer--$2,727 & $4,000 loan to campaign
Better Education for Kids (B4Kids) Shelley Skinner and Derell Bradford?s pro-charter, anti-union outfit--$2,500
Rolando Lavarro for Councilman, charter school parent--$2,500
Eric Silverman, Real Estate developer--$5,000
Friends of Monica Kress, shady pro-charter group?$12,000
Better Education Institute, Tepper?s seed money group for corporate reform groups--$4,761
Alan Fournier, hedge fund billionaire, co-founder of B4Kids/Better Ed Institute--$5,200
Stacy Schusterman, CEO of Samson Energy, a gas & oil company founded by her father, Charles; a trustee of the Charter School Growth Fund which promotes and invests in charter management organizations--$5,200
Political consultants & marketing groups?at least $32,000
So don't let anyone tell you that they don't want to bring charters to JC, or model the whole district on business principles.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jersey- ... -Teachers/103416583024655

Posted on: 2015/1/8 2:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/25 7:29
Group:
Registered Users
VOTE 2H + 6H = 8H

From Ward E Councilwoman Candice Osborne:

I'll get straight to the point: your vote counts tomorrow.

I'm not saying this to give you warm fuzzies about a participatory democracy, I am saying it because it is true. The Board of Education Election is the tightest race on the ballot. Your decision tomorrow could be the deciding factor in this election, which in a previous race was won by just one vote.

Successful schools matter. They matter to every single child who lives in Jersey City. They matter to the teachers who work so hard to provide children with the education and opportunity that they deserve. They matter to the families who want to raise their children here and watch them flourish.

The Ask
Ask 10 of your Jersey City friends to vote tomorrow in the Board of Education election (it is as easy as forwarding this email)

Leave your house for work 15 minutes early tomorrow and vote

Not sure who to support?
Voters can choose 3 people out of the 8 who are running. I am endorsing the Parents for Excellence slate: BERTRAM C. OKPOKWASILI (2H), CAROL HARRISON - ARNOLD (6H) & MONICA KRESS (8H). I think if you read up on them, you will agree that they are the right team to continue the turnaround of the Jersey City School System.

In summary
The to-do list is easy and the polls are open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m - so no excuses and everyone should vote tomorrow. I hope you will join me in voting 2H, 6H, 8H.

Candice
P.S. Don't forget to remind at least 10 people to vote tomorrow

VOTE 2H + 6H = 8H

Posted on: 2014/11/4 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/11/4 2:57
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Where are these interviews?

You're better of abstaining if you are really going to vote with the flip of a coin.

Posted on: 2014/11/4 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
We have had all the candidates and teams independently interviewed for the position on the Boards of Education.

With the future of our children in the hands of these candidates, the response from the interviewers and evaluators was the same for all ... and it doesn't look good !

Resized Image

I can't see any stand-out team that will change anything, so I'm tossing a coin to make my vote!

Posted on: 2014/11/4 0:21
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/25 7:29
Group:
Registered Users
This election comes at a critical time. We can continue the progress made over the last few years or we can go back to decades of failure. The choice is really that simple.

If you have an interest in our schools, our students, our tax dollars, vote tomorrow for 2H Bertram Okpokwasili, 6H Carol Harrison-Arnold and 8H Monica Kress. The Board of Education election is on the right side of the ballot.

For more information about the JCBOE election and the contrast between the candidates, please read Civic Parent's excellent overview and endorsement.

This election has been won and lost by fewer than five votes in the past. Make sure to get yourself, your neighbors, your friends to the polls tomorrow. Polls are open from 6am until 8am.

To find your polling location, click here.

2H Bertram Okpokwasili 6H Carol Harrison-Arnold 8H Monica Kress
2H + 6H = 8H

Posted on: 2014/11/3 23:27

WHY I ENDORSE PARENTS FOR EXCELLENCE

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/29 0:36
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Neighbors and Friends,

Your vote these past five years has made a world of difference to the students and families in Jersey City. I was honored to have been elected by you in 2010- 2014, to begin the process of improving the District in a dramatic way.

Your vote on Tuesday November 4th for Parents For Excellence Candidates : Bertram Okpokwasili-2H Carol Harrison Arnold-6H Monica Kress-8H will help the successes below continue and grow:

1) New Superintendent and Better Aligned Senior Staff
2) Philosophical shift that ALL students can maximize their potential
3) Strategic Plan and Long Term Demographic/Facilities Plans
4) End to fears of school closures
5) Cut $2 million from Claremont "waste"
6) Cut in half Student Drop Outs
7) Reign in abuses in absenteeism
8) End the yearly summer layoffs of 300 employees shenanigans
9) Clean up decades long Civil Service abuses and untitled positions
10) Increased Local Control via improved QSAC scores
11) Solve problem of 20% of classes with teacher absent having NO substitute
12) Take 6 out of 10 most "at risk RAC" schools off "at risk" list.
13) Equity so ALL schools have: books, computers, wi fi, hands on curriculum, free after school help, AP courses, free SAT/PSAT prep & testing and free breakfast. And MORE schools benefit from dual language instruction, yoga, partnerships with community groups for gardens, solar projects ??

What do the "opposition candidates" actually oppose except Federal and State initiatives which are mandated for every public school? Some of these are unfunded and untested which causes stress for teachers and students and hurts schools!

To blame a Board or Superintendent for mandates like PARC, Common Core, RAC, Student Growth Models, Staff Evaluation Models, etc is not only ill informed, but also disingenuous.

(By the way, Candidates endorsed by the Unions will not be able to vote on the pending Contracts for a full year. That's why I, an UNendorsed Candidate was the deciding "Yes" vote four years ago)

Sincerely,
CAROL LESTER, Past VP, The Jersey City Board of Education
Co Founder/Past Board President of LCCS, (A unionized & independent Charter)

Posted on: 2014/10/29 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Children First low standards? Was Children First admonished by the ACLU? The answer is no. Is Children First spending $10,000 a day on a out-of-town contract? What I find low is someone ignoring what is going on now then make attacks on a group that wants change.

You know Yvonne's really lost the last of her marbles when she is backing the Teacher's Union puppets, which she traditionally would never have. I guess your hate for Mayor Fulop (who the Teacher's Union despises) overrides the fact that this team of Union puppets will ensure nothing improves in JC schools.

I don't play with marbles so I cannot lose them.

hahaha. That was a nice line.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Children First low standards? Was Children First admonished by the ACLU? The answer is no. Is Children First spending $10,000 a day on a out-of-town contract? What I find low is someone ignoring what is going on now then make attacks on a group that wants change.

You know Yvonne's really lost the last of her marbles when she is backing the Teacher's Union puppets, which she traditionally would never have. I guess your hate for Mayor Fulop (who the Teacher's Union despises) overrides the fact that this team of Union puppets will ensure nothing improves in JC schools.

I don't play with marbles so I cannot lose them. I am not backing the Teacher's Union Team, I am backing Children First Team which consists of Richardso, Verdibello and Lyons. Here is the reason why:
http://youtu.be/IcnST7HnjuY

Posted on: 2014/10/28 19:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
So he didn't say those things?

It appears to me that his words weren't changed and that the video was edited for brevity.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The disturbing part about the post is they cut and chopped the video of The Board of Education meeting. You should all request they post the whole video of the meeting.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BOkpokwasili wrote:
From Bertram Okpokwasili, Parent, Jersey City resident and School Board candidate.
How can a person who threatens with violence ever hope to be a member of an effective school board.
http://www.parentsforexcellence.com/lorenzo_richardson_video

They are not an example for our children.

Regards Bertram
Parents for Excellence
2 + 6=8

This was really disturbing.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/28 14:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/4 15:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

amc wrote:
"..the useless Dr. Lyles.."

Wow, are you saying Dr Epps did better?

Dr. Lyles is an established professional, and it's amazing that we have a Superintendent that is so effective working in the JC district.
As a public school parent the positive changes the last two years are apparent. Here are a few examples:
1) 3 x more children are receiving free breakfast in school last year than than the previous
2) 10% more students receiving college level classes
3) A new high school in one of the city's poorest district
4) Enrollment of students into JC public schools has increased this passed year for the first time in years.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 2:47

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017