Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
159 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Car Alarm
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Mayor Fulop has started filling positions with truly service oriented people. I gave a problem to the old MAB in 2007, I'm still waiting for an answer. I guess it was because I was openly a Fulop supporter.

This is slightly off-topic, but is also alarm-related. I live close to PS 22 in Lafayette; it has a sensitive burglar alarm that tends to go off when the wind kicks up. Most of the time this happens in the middle of the night. When the alarm goes off, it sounds like the apocalypse - loud enough to wake the dead. The alarm goes off often, at least once-twice a week on average.

Between 2009 (when I moved there) and about a year ago, when the alarm went off it would continue unabated, often for an hour or more. Often, as mentioned, in the middle of the night. JCPD's response was "It's not our problem - call the Board of Education." And the BoE refused to acknowledge there was a problem, let alone act on it.

All of this changed in early 2012 - coincidentally, when the Fulop-driven transition to responsive BoE leadership had been completed. When the alarm goes off now, I just call 201-915-6000 for the BoE, hit 0 for a (very helpful) after-hours operator, and they're on the problem in minutes.

This is what good governance looks like.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 16:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/5 16:05
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks so much, everyone, for the insight and advice. I really appreciate this.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Toonces, thank you for posting the ordinance!

To the OP, do not hesitate to call the police. The douche owner hasn't shown you, or the neighborhood, the courtesy to outfit his car with an alarm that meets established criteria and isn't a nuisance to the neighbors

I recently had a similar issue with an alarm that went off at 11 PM, not 100 feet from my window, and it wouldn't cease. After 90 minutes, I walked out, found my building's security guy (who was covering his ears, trying to avoid the racket) and told him to call the non-emergency number to report it. After 30 minutes or so, the police showed up. They ran the plates, located the owner and roused him out of bed to come shut off the alarm. After 15 minutes trying to get the alarm to shut off, he was unable to do so, so he was instructed to remove the battery and brought the ordeal to an end.

I relate this story to point out that the police will do the right thing: they will run the plates in an attempt to get an address for the registered owner, and will do their best to locate this person to have him/her address the problem. Don't assume that the police will go medieval on the car from the get go.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Id def call the police about this. Let them issue him summons & they will cut the alarm.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
FWIW, this is a violation of a city ordinance, if you want to point the police in this direction:

? 222-4. Audible burglar alarms. [Added 6-10-1992 by Ord. No. 92-051; amended 12-22-1992 by Ord. No. 92-192; 3-22-1995 by Ord. No. 95-020]permanent link to this piece of content

A.
No owner of a motor vehicle shall have in operation an audible burglar alarm thereon unless such burglar alarm shall be capable of and shall automatically terminate its operation within five (5) minutes of its being activated in the case of a motor vehicle. No audible burglar alarm on a motor vehicle shall be capable of being activated unless there is direct physical contact with that motor vehicle. Notwithstanding this provision, any member of the Police Department shall have the right to take such steps as may be necessary to disconnect any such alarm installed on a motor vehicle at any time during the period of its activation. [2]
B.
This section shall apply to any motor vehicle on which an audible burglar alarm has been installed when parked on a public highway or parking lot open to the public, and at any other time when the alarm is capable of being activated regardless of when such alarm was installed.
C.
Notwithstanding the provisions of Subsections A and B, any police officer may arrange for the removal of a motor vehicle from a public highway when an audible burglar alarm installed on such vehicle is activated in violation of this section. The owner of the vehicle shall be liable for all fees of removal, including but not limited to the fees for towing and for storage following removal of the vehicle.
D.
All audible burglar alarms which are purchased for use on motor vehicles kept or garaged in the City of Jersey City shall be registered with the Division of Traffic and Street Maintenance within twenty (20) days of purchase of an audible burglar alarm. Forms shall be provided by and obtained with the Division of Traffic and Street Maintenance. A one-time registration fee as provided in Chapter 160, Fees and Charges, shall be collected by the Division of Traffic and Street Maintenance, and a coded decal for identification shall be issued. The list of registered audible alarms shall be forwarded by the Division of Traffic and Street Maintenance to the Police Central Complaint Bureau. Registration shall include the name, address, including apartment number and telephone number of the owner of the vehicle, the make, model and, if applicable, the serial number of the alarm and such other information necessary for the enforcement of this Article. For the purpose of this chapter, it shall be presumed that a vehicle is kept or garaged in the City of Jersey City if it is registered in the name of a resident of the City of Jersey City or an individual who is employed within the City of Jersey City or a business which is located in the City of Jersey City. [3]
E.
Any person who violates any provision of this section or any rule promulgated hereunder shall be liable to a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100.) or more as provided in Chapter 1, General Provisions, ? 1-25

Posted on: 2013/8/5 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
HeightsBrat wrote: Quote:
Mayor Fulop has started filling positions with truly service oriented people. I gave a problem to the old MAB in 2007, I'm still waiting for an answer. I guess it was because I was openly a Fulop supporter.

BTW, I resolved the situation myself.

Yeah that is wild. There has been a missing STOP sign on the corner of Carbon Place and Martorano Way for I bet close to 4 years. (behind the rt 440 Honda dealer) I gave up trying to report it. It is not like the road is not used, it is the rt 440 U-turn.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 13:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Try Mayor Fulop?s new and improved JC RRC web page. Healy?s MAB web page was useless I know people who are still waiting for the Healy administrations reply and that was from a year ago. I have not tried the new one but I am hopefully optimistic that it is 100% better than Healy?s.

Resized Image

BTW, I resolved the situation myself.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 12:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, everyone, for the advice!

So far I left a note on the windshield (black BMW) but he has not seen it yet. I will at least let him have the chance to see it first, then I will call the police if it continues.

Hoping for a good outcome.

Thanks again!

Posted on: 2013/8/5 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Soooo, what's the outcome?
Have u called JCPD yet about this?

Posted on: 2013/8/5 3:42

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/19 0:13
Group:
Registered Users
would this happen to be a jeep Cherokee ? sorta a gold color?

Posted on: 2013/8/5 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Try Mayor Fulop?s new and improved JC RRC web page. Healy?s MAB web page was useless I know people who are still waiting for the Healy administrations reply and that was from a year ago. I have not tried the new one but I am hopefully optimistic that it is 100% better than Healy?s.

Resized Image

Get to it from here: http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/
I don?t see car alarm on the options list but it lets you add something that is not on the list.

I have mentioned this before I have friends who live in CV and SH. There is a questionable car dealer on rt 440 and Danforth called Hudson Auto Trade. They have a motion detector alarm that goes off most of the night and all day Sunday. It sounds like a basketball game substitution buzzer but louder. The Healy administration did NOTHING to stop it for the past year+. Hopefully Mayor Fulop will.

My friends have called the non emergency JCPD number to report it hoping the car dealer gets fined every time a call comes in. It does seem to stop for a few hours after the cops show up, but it continues the next night.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lady_Lazarus wrote:
I live in the Heights and a new car in the neighborhood parked outside my apartment on the street below has a really loud, really shrill, really annoying alarm that keeps going off every 15 minutes.

On Friday it did this ALL DAY from early morning to late afternoon. Yesterday it was intermittent. Today it is going off again for over an hour now.

The guy seems to live nearby so I don't know how he can't hear how annoying this is.

What are my options? Is this something I can call the police for? I'm going crazy over here.

You have two options. One being what JCbiscuit suggested, the calling of the non-emergency number. The other one is leaving a polite note on the car that the person needs to have the car's alarm sensitivity level adjusted. I personally have used the note first with the warning that the police will be notified & if there is any damage to the car when they (the police) disconnect the alarm, the owner will bear the full cost of the repair.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
It is clear that you must vandalize the car.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 1:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lady_Lazarus wrote:
I live in the Heights and a new car in the neighborhood parked outside my apartment on the street below has a really loud, really shrill, really annoying alarm that keeps going off every 15 minutes.

On Friday it did this ALL DAY from early morning to late afternoon. Yesterday it was intermittent. Today it is going off again for over an hour now.

The guy seems to live nearby so I don't know how he can't hear how annoying this is.

What are my options? Is this something I can call the police for? I'm going crazy over here.

call the non-emergency number. the police will come and disable the alarm. eventually.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 20:22

Car Alarm

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/4 19:15

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017