Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
161 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

Re: Life was so much easier before security cameras..or was it?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
5/15 1:51
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

parkman wrote:
Though you may not agree with the Mayor on many things, this is one issue he should have your support.

The CCTV system, which I think should be expanded, has been a deterrent and an added tool in finding pockets of crime, needs to be continued with state funding.

When I moved my business from Manhattan to Bergen/Lafayette 27 years ago, the UEZ was an economic incentive that brought me, and other business to my building, as well as making it possible to obtain a mortgage that would otherwise be rejected in such a neighborhood.

As strongly as I am against abatements downtown (for the last 15 years), the UEZ is an important and useful program in bringing new enterprise to our depressed sections of Jersey City.

I encourage the Mayor and residents, to let Governor Christie know how valuable the UEZ can be, in stimulating employment, growth, and making it financially viable to bring new businesses into neglected sections of our town (and in turn, added revenue to the state.)

parkman

It was terribly dangerous to let your thoughts wander when you were in any public place or within range of a telescreen. The smallest thing could give you away. A nervous tic, an unconscious look of anxiety, a habit of muttering to yourself--anything that carried with it the suggestion of abnormality, of having something to hide. In any case, to wear an improper expression on your face...; was itself a punishable offense. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: facecrime...

Posted on: 2012/5/8 3:06

Re: Jersey City Police Department needs $800K for security cams
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

"Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy last week said the loss of this funding has had a huge impact on the city.

?Not only did the Urban Enterprise Zone program allow us to hire police officers to patrol in commercial areas and install effective CCTV crime cameras, but we also were able to use the [money] for the Second Chance Program that hires ex-offenders,? Healy said last week. ?The program allowed us to beautify the gateways to the city, give small store owners some assistance to improve their facades, and provide resources for local organizations, such as Rising Tide Capital, Women Rising, and other entities that teach job skills. We gave grants to small- and medium-size business to re-locate to Jersey City and were able to use the funds to market the advantages of doing business in Jersey City.

?All these efforts over the years have helped make Jersey City the nation?s 12th largest downtown market in regard to office space, attracting international businesses,? said Mayor Healy. ?These corporations, and the satellite businesses that support them, have provided jobs for our residents and revenue to many small business owners. The loss of the UEZ program is devastating not only for Jersey City, but for all of the other urban municipalities in New Jersey that rely on this funding, which is being cut at the same time other state and federal aid is also being reduced.?

Healy said he is lobbying Gov. Christie and the state legislature to restore the UEZ money."

Is this Healy saying what city programs he will cut?

Posted on: 2012/5/8 2:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Why not use some of that drug money that is confiscated while busting the drug dealers while using them CCTV cameras to do so.
When the dealers are caught by the means of the CCTV camera operaters, use that money that was confiscated from them and put it towards the CCTV bill.

Posted on: 2012/5/8 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
The camera's on Washington Blvd, are they CCTV hook ups? If they are and funded by the city, why is the city spending money on Newport instead of actual crime areas?

Posted on: 2012/5/7 17:54

Re: Life was so much easier before security cameras..or was it?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Though you may not agree with the Mayor on many things, this is one issue he should have your support.

The CCTV system, which I think should be expanded, has been a deterrent and an added tool in finding pockets of crime, needs to be continued with state funding.

When I moved my business from Manhattan to Bergen/Lafayette 27 years ago, the UEZ was an economic incentive that brought me, and other business to my building, as well as making it possible to obtain a mortgage that would otherwise be rejected in such a neighborhood.

As strongly as I am against abatements downtown (for the last 15 years), the UEZ is an important and useful program in bringing new enterprise to our depressed sections of Jersey City.

I encourage the Mayor and residents, to let Governor Christie know how valuable the UEZ can be, in stimulating employment, growth, and making it financially viable to bring new businesses into neglected sections of our town (and in turn, added revenue to the state.)

parkman

Posted on: 2012/5/7 2:36

Jersey City Police Department needs $800K for security cams
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Keep the cameras rolling
With loss of UEZ money, police department needs $800K for security cams

by E. Assata Wright - Reporter staff writer
May 06, 2012

Beginning July 1, the Jersey City Police Department (JCPD) will have to pick up the tab for the maintenance of its Closed Circuit Television Neighborhood Watch camera system, an $800,000 bill that was in the past covered by money from the state Urban Enterprise Zone (UEZ) Program.

The CCTV system is one of the first city programs to feel the pinch from the loss of UEZ funding from Trenton.

Jersey City?s CCTV program was launched in 2001 and today it includes dozens of closed circuit cameras that are spread throughout the city. Last week during the city?s fourth public meeting on crime and public safety, Police Chief Thomas Comey credited the CCTV system with deterring crime, gathering information for investigations, and locating suspects.

?That network of cameras has allowed us to deploy our limited resources in a better way so that we can have our eyes focused on multiple city streets at the same time,? said Comey. ?Then, if we see something, catch something on camera that needs to be checked out, then we can send a car to that area. So, it has been an invaluable crime-fighting tool. But I now have to come up with thousands of dollars to maintain it come July 1.?

He added that he is working with the city to find ways to fund the CCTV system, possibly with help from federal grants.

The 24-hour CCTV system is monitored by civilian employees of the JCPD who use the images caught on camera to assist in the department?s crime-fighting work. Used in conjunction by the JCPD, the Office of the Hudson County Prosecutor, and the state Attorney General, the system had for years been funded by the Jersey City Economic Development Corporation through the UEZ Assistance Fund. The UEZ fund supported the creation, maintenance, and management of the CCTV system.

Until the UEZ program was scaled back, the Jersey City Economic Development Corporation and the JCPD were expanding the system into additional commercial areas of the city and updating the equipment to better serve the citizens and businesses in Jersey City.

Phased out

Launched in 1983, the UEZ Program was started to stimulate the local economies of the state?s once-blighted urban areas. Businesses located in a designated Urban Enterprise Zone could charge a sales tax that is half of the usual state sales tax (currently 3.5 percent). A portion of this tax money was then returned to the city for local economic development, including capital improvements, and salaries for public safety workers. Through loans, grants, and other resources, Jersey City, like other enterprise zones, used its UEZ money to attract small businesses, help small businesses get started, assist businesses make improvements, and train residents for jobs.

Between June and November of last year, however, the administration of Gov. Christopher Christie began to close out the funding portion of the UEZ program. Christie and his allies in Trenton have maintained that some of these uses did not specifically meet the stated goals of the UEZ Program.

Since the 2008-2009 fiscal year, which ended on June 30, 2009, Jersey City has seen its UEZ funding drop from $15.1 million to $2.9 million, according to Cliff Adams, CFO of the Jersey City Economic Development Corporation. In fiscal year 2009-2010 the city received $7.4 million in UEZ funding. That same year the state held back about $13.1 million in anticipated UEZ funding to the city.

Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy last week said the loss of this funding has had a huge impact on the city.

?Not only did the Urban Enterprise Zone program allow us to hire police officers to patrol in commercial areas and install effective CCTV crime cameras, but we also were able to use the [money] for the Second Chance Program that hires ex-offenders,? Healy said last week. ?The program allowed us to beautify the gateways to the city, give small store owners some assistance to improve their facades, and provide resources for local organizations, such as Rising Tide Capital, Women Rising, and other entities that teach job skills. We gave grants to small- and medium-size business to re-locate to Jersey City and were able to use the funds to market the advantages of doing business in Jersey City.

?All these efforts over the years have helped make Jersey City the nation?s 12th largest downtown market in regard to office space, attracting international businesses,? said Mayor Healy. ?These corporations, and the satellite businesses that support them, have provided jobs for our residents and revenue to many small business owners. The loss of the UEZ program is devastating not only for Jersey City, but for all of the other urban municipalities in New Jersey that rely on this funding, which is being cut at the same time other state and federal aid is also being reduced.?

Healy said he is lobbying Gov. Christie and the state legislature to restore the UEZ money.

http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/fu ... ndary_stories_left_column

Posted on: 2012/5/6 22:22

Edited by Webmaster on 2012/5/7 3:00:43

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017