Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Re: You know you're a JC old-timer if you remember...
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/30 1:57
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
How long did the Robert Hall store on Route 440 in JC exist?

Great question, if you go to the N.J Room in the main library they have old telephone books start looking up the store either in the white pages under RH or under clothing in the yellow pages. I bet the county has records of this place as well. You'll obviously have to do some diging and heavy research.

I've thought of looking at old telephone books to find the information. I've been told by a friend who lived in JC until the early '70s that the Robert Hall store on Route 440 closed in the mid '60s.

Posted on: 2011/6/26 23:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Red-Deutsch wrote:

Anyone remember Bonetti Pizza on Kennedy Blvd? That's got to be gone close to 25 years, and I think the sign is still there and I think the store front is still vacant.

I remember Bonetti Pizza on Kennedy Boulevard. (The restaurant may have named Bonetti's Pizza.) I lived close to the pizza restaurant.

Posted on: 2011/6/26 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Nice! (click image to Blow It Up)

More here: (click link)
http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/title_page.pl

Posted on: 2011/6/19 23:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
wintergreen88 wrote:
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
Where was the Woolworth store in Journal Square located? Was it near the State Theater? I remember going to a department store which was near the State Theater in the mid '70s. The store was probably Woolworth, Lynns or Moriel's.

Woolworth was near the old Hudson Tubes (PATH) transportation Hub before the new complex was completed in 1976. Woolworth was across from the Tube Bar and pizzeria.

Across the street from the State Theater was Liss Pharmacy which was as large as a department store complete with a lunch counter. Next to the Lowes Theater was J.M. Fields which is now the C.H. Martin.

Thanks, Shadrack! I'm not sure why but someone mistakenly told me that there was a Woolworth store near the State Theater. There was probably another department store near the State Theater which I may have visited. I remember Liss Pharmacy & J.M. Fields. I used to go to Liss Pharmacy for cold remedies. I went to J.M. Fields to shop for school clothes before the school year began when I was living in JC. I left the city in late June of '75.

It could be that a Wolworth store existed near the State Theater during an earlier time period than the '70s

This 1972 photo shows Kennedy Boulevard near Journal Square.
(State Theater, Rags to Riches, Joyce Leslie, Moriel?s, Lynns, Kitty Kelly & Danny Mack shoe stores) http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?656

Posted on: 2011/6/19 20:47

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
- Fights at Dickinson H.S between the Sons of Marion and Brothers of the Jersey City Heights

When I went to Dickinson there were very, very few fights. I went to the school for 1 year in the mid '70s which is probably later in time than when you went to the school.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
Where was the Woolworth store in Journal Square located? Was it near the State Theater? I remember going to a department store which was near the State Theater in the mid '70s. The store was probably Woolworth, Lynns or Moriel's.

Woolworth was near the old Hudson Tubes (PATH) transportation Hub before the new complex was completed in 1976. Woolworth was across from the Tube Bar and pizzeria.

Across the street from the State Theater was Liss Pharmacy which was as large as a department store complete with a lunch counter. Next to the Lowes Theater was J.M. Fields which is now the C.H. Martin.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 14:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Where was the Woolworth store in Journal Square located? Was it near the State Theater? If the store did exist on Kennedy Boulevard near the State Theater, when did it close? (In the '30s, there was a Woolworth store on Bergen Avenue near Journal Square.) I remember going to a department store which was near the State Theater in the mid '70s. The store was probably Woolworth, Lynns or Moriel's.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 14:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone remember when the Bickford's cafeteria which was on the Journal Square concourse closed? I know it opened in the '30s & closed in the '70s but I don't know which year in the '70s the restaurant closed. Was Bickford's replaced by a Sound Machine music store? A Sound Machine music store was in operation on the Journal Square concourse in the mid ?70s (probably ?76).

Posted on: 2011/6/19 10:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/12 1:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

linky wrote:
And regarding the number 9 bus. l used to take it every day when I got my first job in NYC. There was a woman who was a dwarf who took the bus at the same time every morning. The mean busdrivers would never lower the bus for her, so one day I offered to help her. She was so little that I had to eventually pick her up and carry her up the stairs. I ended up doing that every morning for a year...........lol. I'm sure nobody cares, but it's killling me.

Think I remember her... worked with her at the Jersey Journal selling newspaper subscriptions at night.. her name was Sandy, hard time walking and her hair was all over the place. Maybe its the same person.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 3:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
LOU's dinner on Ocean. There was another small dinner on Ocean, between Cator and Danforth Avenue. The fish market on Danforth avenue and Meat City (?) on Ocean Avenue that sold bad meat. Clean-o-Rama, TONYS tailors with the albino guy that worked there back in the 70s. ARROW soda (?) was by HALLS on OCean avenue. You would go and buy a case of bottled soda (mixed Flavor) and return the empty bottles for a new batch. OMG, Barones Pizza (spelled wrong I'm sure) on Garfield by ACME.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 2:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/20 12:35
Group:
Registered Users
SIMONETTI AND SULLIVAN SPORTS ON JACKSON AVE.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 2:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/20 12:35
Group:
Registered Users
GO CARTS on the back highway (Rt. 440 )

Posted on: 2011/6/19 2:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/20 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
I don't remember the guy with the bell but I do remember the guy with fruit. He'd come in his old beat up truck yelling, 'Strawberries! Get your strawberries! Women came running!

Posted on: 2011/6/17 23:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone from the Heights in the 50s-60s remember AL E Hines? He was a war vet that kind of lived on the streets. Shell shocked I think but everyone loved him.

Getting your new school clothes from Sam's, who also sold one of the first Barbie dolls ever!

The doll hospital that was near the library

When you got everything up on Central Ave before malls!

When PS 28 only went to the 5th grade and we were all transfered to PS #8

Posted on: 2011/6/17 23:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Wow! How interesting. When was this that he left the priesthood! I didn't attend St. Paul of the Cross school as I went to PS 28 but I did go to Sunday School there. Fr McKenna was our family priest. I always remember the long lines to his and Fr. Uleski's confessional. The kids all loved them.

How life changes!

Posted on: 2011/6/17 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ritajo125 wrote:
Love this post. I was a child in JC in the fifties and I remember

~St. Paul of the Cross' annual Sunday School Picnic
~Father McKenna and Father Uleski rocked!

I remember them both. Father Uleski left the priesthood and married one of the nuns, Sister Joel. She was one of my teachers, kind of cute and perky for a nun. In hindsight, Fr. Uleski did seem to visit our classroom more often than was necessary and Sister Joel did seem to get all giggly when he came in. I remember seeing them both on David Susskind or one of those talk shows a few years later.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 19:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Love this post. I was a child in JC in the fifties and I remember

~Everyone shopped at my grandmother's store on Palisades Ave - Josie's.
~PS 28
~North Street Park
~Woolworths on Central Avenue
~Roller skating down the steep hill on Congress Street and ~Palisades Ave down to Ogden Ave
~ 95% percent of the neighborhood was Italian
~The "haunted house" on Ogden Ave
~My principal was my dad's teacher!
~Mr. Softee on hot summer nights
~Yoohoo was the drink of choice
~St. Paul of the Cross' annual Sunday School Picnic
~Father McKenna and Father Uleski rocked!
~Going to Journal Square
~Watching the guys play stick ball on Ogden Ave
~Trick or treating was done by 5:30 pm!
~No A/C in summer!
~Fudgsicles were a nickel!
~Walking all over safely and alone when you were a kid
~Getting your meat from the butcher not the grocery store
~PF Flyers or Keds which was better?
~Working Nana's cash register in the store!

Posted on: 2011/6/17 19:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I grew up on Sheffield up in the Greenville section.... was so beautify then. In the summer I remember the produce truck in the morning... selling fresh fruit and veggies. Shouting something from a mic....

Posted on: 2011/6/3 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:

Great question, if you go to the N.J Room in the main library they have old telephone books start looking up the store either in the white pages under RH or under clothing in the yellow pages. I bet the county has records of this place as well. You'll obviously have to do some diging and heavy research.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 2:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/6/3 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
if you remember..
when Jersey City List was Downtown Jersey City List!

That's cute

Posted on: 2011/4/18 22:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Darkvark wrote:
I believe the Mayor who prevented the show from being held at Roosevelt Stadium was named Berry.

Berry was a pretty colorful character, but at least he wasn't under investigation or arrested.

Bernard J. Berry (July 3, 1913 ? January 6, 1963) served as the 33rd mayor of Jersey City, New Jersey from 1953 to 1957. He took office following the resignation of John V. Kenny who went to jail (surprise).

Berry achieved a level of notoriety for having banned both rock and roll music as well as an "obscene" film from Jersey City during his tenure. Berry banned the film The Moon Is Blue from being shown for being "indecent and obscene" and refused to allow Bill Haley and the Comets to play a concert at municipally-owned Roosevelt Stadium.

The latter act is believed to have inspired Haley to write the first protest song in rock and roll, "Teenager's Mother," which included the lyrics "Are you right? Did you forget too soon? How much you liked to do the Charleston?"

In 1956, after the 1954 closing of the US immigration station, Berry commanded a US Coast Guard cutter and led a contingent of New Jersey officials on an expedition to claim Ellis Island.

I guess Jersey City has a history of squashing live music in town.

Posted on: 2011/4/6 12:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/29 1:31
Group:
Registered Users
I believe the Mayor who prevented the show from being held at Roosevelt Stadium was named Berry.

Posted on: 2011/4/6 4:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/8 0:13
Group:
Registered Users
"Thanks For The Memories" to all who have contributed. There are more sad stories than I care to remember, including the riots in the 60's. I much prefer the happier memories.

Please tell me I am not dreaming when I remember going to the theater on Five Corners in the 40's, which I always remember as the Five Corners Theater but it was probably Loew's.

Remember the Mayor that put the kibosh on a rock concert at Roosevelt Stadium because it would contaminate our youth?

Anyone stopping by the Medical Center Lunch say hello to Tom who has been a mainstay at that location for 25 years.

Thanks for the photos also!

Posted on: 2011/4/5 21:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/19 19:47
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
What an awful story. Likely, Settle is not locked up anymore. He was convicted and sentenced to up to 10 years in prison. I found this excerpt:

March 5, 1995
A man was convicted Friday of throwing a bowling ball off an overpass and through a windshield, killing an 8-month-old girl. Calvin Settle, 19, was found guilty of manslaughter and could get up to 10 years in prison at his sentencing April 7. Settle contends the ball fell out of his hands, but two younger boys who were with Settle at the time of the accident say they saw him heave the ball off onto the roadway deliberately.

They put steel netting after this incident over the covered roadway. Plenty of garbage is now resting on it.

Posted on: 2011/4/4 11:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

zigory wrote:
I am a former third generation Jersey City resident, as my grandparents lived on Wade Street after immigrating from Russia, passing the house on to my father, where I lived until I was three, after which I lived on Gifford Avenue until I was 7. My childhood took place during the early 1960s.

After moving to Gifford Avenue, I remember fondly Lincoln Park which looks exactly the same now, especially sledding down the hill, the best sledding hill imaginable. I remember a drug store which still exists as some sort of shop, on Kennedy Boulevard (The Blvd. had a different name--what was it?-- until JFK was shot), a few long blocks from Gifford Avenue, where we used to buy the beloved new Casper and Spooky comic books I still remember being so excited about, because I thought they were such good stories. By the time I was 7 I was buying The Flash, Batman and Superman, and Scrooge McDuck and others. The drug store had no other purpose to me but comics, yet eventually they sold fewer and fewer of them.

II recall Friedman's Bakery.

I remember attending P.S. 17 on Duncan Avenue, which I think is now called PS 1 even though it still has PS 17 engraved on it. What I want to know is, where is the location that used to be the JCC? I remember when it was new, and its indoor tennis courts, etc.

It was called Hudson Boulevard hence Hudson County Blvd. Do you remember Liss Drugs at the Square ? It was located within JSQ on the Blvd. across from the State Theater. You were able to get a soda from the soda fountain where they pumped syrup and seltzer into a glass.

Posted on: 2011/4/3 23:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/3 3:03
Group:
Registered Users
I am a former third generation Jersey City resident, as my grandparents lived on Wade Street after immigrating from Russia, passing the house on to my father, where I lived until I was three, after which I lived on Gifford Avenue until I was 7. My childhood took place during the early 1960s.

My most meaningful memories include going out to play freely on the Wade Street sidewalk with other children of the neighborhood, or in our small backyard, and also of walking with my mother and older brother to the Dairy Queen on the corner (The last time I checked, the Dairy Queen building remained on the corner of Wade Street, but it had been long abandoned. I'm told the neighborhood is dangerous now.)

After moving to Gifford Avenue, I remember fondly Lincoln Park which looks exactly the same now, especially sledding down the hill, the best sledding hill imaginable. I remember a drug store which still exists as some sort of shop, on Kennedy Boulevard (The Blvd. had a different name--what was it?-- until JFK was shot), a few long blocks from Gifford Avenue, where we used to buy the beloved new Casper and Spooky comic books I still remember being so excited about, because I thought they were such good stories. By the time I was 7 I was buying The Flash, Batman and Superman, and Scrooge McDuck and others. The drug store had no other purpose to me but comics, yet eventually they sold fewer and fewer of them.

I remember seeing Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music in magnificent theaters with moving clouds projected onto the ceiling. I liked looking down at the rail yards through a fence in Journal Square. I remember entering the Path staircase or Hudson Tubes from the middle of Journal Square rather than inside a terminal.

I recall Friedman's Bakery.

I remember attending P.S. 17 on Duncan Avenue, which I think is now called PS 1 even though it still has PS 17 engraved on it. What I want to know is, where is the location that used to be the JCC? I remember when it was new, and its indoor tennis courts, etc.

Posted on: 2011/4/3 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
if you remember..

when Jersey City List was Downtown Jersey City List!

Posted on: 2011/3/18 0:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
What an awful story. Likely, Settle is not locked up anymore. He was convicted and sentenced to up to 10 years in prison. I found this excerpt:

March 5, 1995
A man was convicted Friday of throwing a bowling ball off an overpass and through a windshield, killing an 8-month-old girl. Calvin Settle, 19, was found guilty of manslaughter and could get up to 10 years in prison at his sentencing April 7. Settle contends the ball fell out of his hands, but two younger boys who were with Settle at the time of the accident say they saw him heave the ball off onto the roadway deliberately.

Posted on: 2011/3/17 15:26

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

Blumpkin wrote:
the genius who dropped the bowling ball from 139 onto 1-9 traffic and killed an infant. i wonder if he is still locked up.

Oh man... that was terrible. I hope he is. I remember that and the poor couple drove their battered baby to St. Francis which was the first hospital sign they saw as they drove another half mile. I believe a friend of his turned him in to the police.

Up until just a few years ago, there were remnants of a memorial on State Highway.

I had heard they never caught the guy. glad I was mistaken.

Youth Held in Death from Bowling Ball - NYT 1994

Thanks for posting the article.

Posted on: 2011/3/17 6:05

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact