Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
166 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 166

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Jersey City Libraries struggling to stay open

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/28 14:38
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I would remind you that not everyone can afford internet at their home. Libraries are a place where people can find free access to a computer with internet. 300,000 people use their public library for job seeking help every day.

This. Exactly this. Not everyone has access to the internet, particularly in a place like Jersey City which has so many low-income families.

Quote:
Libraries are also valuable for children. I know I had an important experience discovering reading and finding what I liked at my public library as a kid. Libraries also provide a quiet place for people to study, if their home doesn't allow this.

I'm not saying that it won't be necessary to close some branches, but to say that the internet replaces libraries is kind of preposterous.

Agreed. After-school programs at the library are invaluable for families who'd rather not have their children sitting alone at home.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 0:00
Tavie (rhymes with GRAVY)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Wait, did I read below correctly that the Library actually has surplus money? USE THAT!

But seriously, waste needs to be eliminated. I was unemployed for over a year and a half and used the main branch on Jersey Ave often. However, a lot of their reference materials are way dated.

For instance, the Red Book of Advertisers and Advertising Agencies... the latest they have is from 2006....

I had a stack of over 100 returned resumes because the ad industry was devastated in the great recession and this reference book was way OUTDATED.

Finally had to head into NYC Science Business and Industry Library to get more up to date info.

Also... sorry, there is so much waste at the main library. Do you REALLY need 4 people behind the check out counter? Also, what's up with the elevator... hello, get it updated, and cut a salary. Really WHO has manually driven elevators these days. (and how does the library get away with something so antiquated.. Hello Building Dept.)

Also, that new Children's room is used basically as Free Child Care. Ughhh.

One thing that is good, they got rid of that branch on 1st street. That place was always empty, except for two hours for after school so the kids could have a safe place to hang out.

Finally, the New Jersey room is a DISASTER... and if you go up one more floor? ITS ALL ADMINISTRATION. Cut cut cut here.

Quote:

City Business Administrator John "Jack" Kelly suggested at a recent City Council meeting that the library renegotiate its lease agreements for the West Bergen, Marion, and Lafayette branches, and explore the possibility of using surplus money in the library budget to keep those branches open.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 23:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Boiled Mussels,
They are also centers of information, instruction and entertainment for the community. I think a city the size of Jersey City should have many more branches.

Visit your neighborhood library and see what they offer! And see how many people are using them. You'll be happy you did.
Quote:

Boiled_Mussels wrote:
Yes, I agree with the above posts. I should have clarified my statement by saying that having that many libraries in a city this size is just not called for any longer. A few should definitely stay open, but I think everyone can probably agree that a bunch should be closed. Of course there will be those that will protest the ones in their neighborhood, but some will definitely have to close. As stated above, people use them to access the internet. That's kind of ironic don't you think?

Posted on: 2010/10/13 23:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/23 9:07
Group:
Banned
Yes, I agree with the above posts. I should have clarified my statement by saying that having that many libraries in a city this size is just not called for any longer. A few should definitely stay open, but I think everyone can probably agree that a bunch should be closed. Of course there will be those that will protest the ones in their neighborhood, but some will definitely have to close. As stated above, people use them to access the internet. That's kind of ironic don't you think?

Posted on: 2010/10/13 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Boiled Mussels

When was the last time you were in a library or looked at a library catalog?

The JCPL has computers and internet connections-used very heavily for students for research and especially the unemployed in job-hunting.

Check out the JCPL Digital Catalog- you can download audiobooks and other media to your iPod, or e-books to your computer or http://jclibrary.lib.overdrive.com/B4 ... FE6/10/491/en/Default.htm Sony Book Reader

You can access online databases like Medline and PubMed and many others (in English and Spanish)from their website using your library card http://www.jclibrary.org/resource/online.php

The JCPL also provides literacy help as well as being a repository for historic documents, providing a venue for movies, meetings and cultural events.

Check out the website http://www.jclibrary.org/index.php
and join the rest of us in the 21st century .

A public library is SOOOOOOO Much more than books.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 23:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Boiled_Mussels wrote:
Libraries served a purpose years ago. It is something that is simply not used anymore. A bigger, better, faster system has come to be called the Internet. Accept it or die. It's as simple as that. There's a reason why Blockbuster, record shops, landlines, are no longer or fading fast. It's called evolution.

Libraries simply are still used. New York Public Library just revealed that usage is way up. I would remind you that not everyone can afford internet at their home. Libraries are a place where people can find free access to a computer with internet. 300,000 people use their public library for job seeking help every day. Also, the internet hasn't really replaced print books which are portable, don't require power, and can be re-used again and again. Reading is actually on the rise in the U.S. too (mostly because of those vampire books, but still . . . ). Not all published material is available on the internet, especially scholarly writings and scientific data. As a college librarian I am constantly made aware of this reality. Libraries provide access to research databases and other subscribed electronic resources (like lexis nexis) not freely available online.

Libraries are also valuable for children. I know I had an important experience discovering reading and finding what I liked at my public library as a kid. Libraries also provide a quiet place for people to study, if their home doesn't allow this.

I'm not saying that it won't be necessary to close some branches, but to say that the internet replaces libraries is kind of preposterous.

Here's some info compiled by the library of congress:http://www.oclc.org/reports/pdfs/2141 ... ow_libraries_stack_up.pdf

Posted on: 2010/10/13 23:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Boiled_Mussels wrote:
This reminds me of the RIAA going after music downloaders. Libraries served a purpose years ago. It is something that is simply not used anymore. A bigger, better, faster system has come to be called the Internet. Accept it or die. It's as simple as that. There's a reason why Blockbuster, record shops, landlines, are no longer or fading fast. It's called evolution.

I have a cell phone but I still stand by landlines nothing beats it. Recepton is outstanding, no interference, never running out of power such as a dead battery, and no one can listen in on your conversation, and by the way my even though I have a cordless phone my main landline phone has a cord. The library is a goood medium it should not die. Books are still a lifeline, the net is good but I'm sure both can be friends. I sometimes think it is easier to browse through pages of a magazine or a reference book. Even catalogs are simpler.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 22:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/23 9:07
Group:
Banned
This reminds me of the RIAA going after music downloaders. Libraries served a purpose years ago. It is something that is simply not used anymore. A bigger, better, faster system has come to be called the Internet. Accept it or die. It's as simple as that. There's a reason why Blockbuster, record shops, landlines, are no longer or fading fast. It's called evolution.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
SPEAK OUT
Send an email or call and demand that libraries be kept open! Please note that Fulop, Richardson and Donnelly spoke up at the Council Meeting on behalf of restoring funding to the library,

Office of the Mayor
City Hall - 280 Grove Street
Jersey City, New Jersey 07302
Tel: (201) 547-5200Fax: (201) 547-4288/5442
Mayor Jerramiah Healy
emailto: HealyMayorHealy@jcnj.org

Council President Peter Brennan
City Hall, 280 Grove Street
Room 202
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Tel: (201) 547-5319Fax: (201) 547-4678
email: BrennanP@jcnj.org

Councilwoman-at-Large Willie Flood
Room 202
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Tel: (201) 547-5134Fax: (201) 547-4678
email: FloodW@jcnj.org

Ward A (Greenville) Councilman Michael Sottolano
Room 206
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Tel: (201) 547-5098 Fax: (201) 547-4678
email: SottolanoM@jcnj.org

Ward B (West Side)Councilman David Donnelly
Room 202
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Tel: (201) 547-5092 Fax: (201) 547-4678
email: DonnellyD@jcnj.org

Ward C (Journal Square) Councilwoman Nidia Lopez
Room 202
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Tel: (201) 547-5159 Fax: (201) 547-4678
email: NLopez@jcnj.org

Ward D (The Heights) Councilman William Gaughan
Room 202
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Tel: (201) 547-5485Fax: (201) 547-4678
email: bgaughan@hcnj.us

Ward E (Downtown) Councilman Steven Fulop
Room 202
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Tel: (201) 547-5315Fax: (201) 547-4678 (fax)
email: FulopS@jcnj.org

Ward F (Bergen/Lafayette) CouncilwomanViola Richardson
Room 207
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Tel: (201) 547-5338Fax: (201) 547-4678
email: RichardsonV@jcnj.org

Posted on: 2010/10/13 21:25

Jersey City Libraries struggling to stay open

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/28 14:38
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/jerse ... 86346331139470.xml&coll=3

Jersey City Public Library says 3 branches slated for closure are staying open while efforts are made to find more money from city
Wednesday, October 06, 2010
By BRETT WILSHE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The doors remain open at three neighborhood branches of the Jersey City Free Public Library that were slated to begin closing last Friday.

"We are working with the city to find the money to keep branches open instead of closing them," Priscilla Gardner, the library director, said in a statement yesterday.

"While we are in negotiation with the City Council, we are keeping all neighborhood branches open for our loyal library users."

Spared from closing for the moment are the West Bergen, Marion and Lafayette branches.

"To say they're (the libraries) are on life support is an accurate assessment," Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop said yesterday.

Fulop noted the city is transitioning from a fiscal year to a calendar year budget and that could further delay what money gets allocated for the library.

City Business Administrator John "Jack" Kelly suggested at a recent City Council meeting that the library renegotiate its lease agreements for the West Bergen, Marion, and Lafayette branches, and explore the possibility of using surplus money in the library budget to keep those branches open.

Neighborhood branch libraries are open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 19:33
Tavie (rhymes with GRAVY)

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017