Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Pavonia Ave between Erie and Manila
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Keep in mind also that having the kids arround all day can lead to inappropriate mischief. I don't own a car but I sometimes rent one. A while ago I had rented a car and parked it on Pavonia half a block away from the school. One morning as I approached the car I caught a few of the kids from the Cordero school playing around with the gas tank opening on the side of the car and others simply leaning and sitting on the car. Since it was a rental car I didn't really care all that much. But if I owned a car that's not something I would want to have to be concerned about all of the time.

Posted on: 2009/5/27 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
an aspect that seems to be missing here is the benefit provided by kids and teachers milling around during the day.

while crime is this part of downtown is not a concern, with the exception of the disappearing navigation systems from parked cars, having kids and adults around during the day significantly reduces the occurrence of petty crimes.

i am not telling that you should leave the door open during the day ....

personally, if i were to buy property again around hamilton park that stretch of pavonia would be prioritized.

Posted on: 2009/5/27 2:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/23 11:08
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Outside of the school, Pavonia between Erie and Manila is a pretty laid back block and can be fairly tranquil as far as Jersey City goes. There isn't any kind of "downside" that you refer to. With the Hudson City bank on one end the dry cleaners on the other, the block is filled with decent-looking rowhomes that are fairly well-maintained. The block is well-gentrified in other words.

The homes you think might be "low income" are actually part of an older housing development that is occupied by renters and owners. It has a high Philipino concentration as does most of Manila Ave. I've been living on the next block ten years and the people living there have always been decent.

Posted on: 2009/5/26 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks guys. I guess what I'm looking for, is there any downside to the people on the block that one wouldn't know of unless they live there? For example, Wayne Street between Jersey and Barrow is a nice looking street, but there are problems there with that little park, drugs, and general unsavory characters. How are the people on that block? Are there low income houses on Manila there?

Posted on: 2009/5/26 18:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/26 18:25
Group:
Registered Users
I agree, I live near here but I don't usually get home until about 7 p.m. or so and by then it's pretty quiet. If you have a regular day job, I'm not sure the school kids will affect you.

Posted on: 2009/5/26 18:27

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/23 11:08
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I live right around the corner from this stretch of street. I would agree that during the school year, it can get noisy and congested in this area. However, if you're out of the house in the morning to go to work and aren't home before 3PM, you're going to miss all of this mayhem.

They only time you're going to experience it is if you're at home during the day while school is in session. If you're working from home, the noise and congestion are something to consider. The previous poster isn't exaggerating.

Posted on: 2009/5/26 10:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I appreciate the input! Anybody else have any thoughts?

Posted on: 2009/5/26 4:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
I live on 10thst near that stretch of Pavonia that you mentioned so I know the area well. Personally I would definitely not want to purchase on that block for only one reason and that is this: the elementary school (Rafael De J. Cordero school) which is on that block seems to feel they can use that entire block as the school yard for their students. During the school year kids are constantly running up and down the street, playing ball, screaming, etc. I have nothing against children playing but I wouldn't want to live on a block where an entire school uses it for recreational purposes. There are other bad effects on that block directly related to the school such as crazy automobile traffic every school day with kids getting dropped off.

Posted on: 2009/5/22 19:17

Pavonia Ave between Erie and Manila
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

My sister is looking to buy a place on that block (Pavonia between Erie and Manila). I know it's close to the park, but I don't know much else about the nabe. How is that block? Quiet, loud? Anything they should know about the block before purchasing?

Posted on: 2009/5/22 18:44

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017