Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
72 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 72

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Safe to walk late at night from 2nd St Light Rail?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/11 21:46
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
NOOOOO. Your best bet is to take the Light Rail one stop further and get off at the 9th Street-Congress St. stop. Better yet, if it is feasible, take the #87 bus home late at night instead. It turns down Franklin towards Central Avenue. If memory serves me, there is a stop near Sherman & Franklin.

When I moved to Palisade btwn, Franklin & Ferry in 2003, I found out that a man was murdered walking up Mountain Road after his shift at a restaurant ended. (On top of that, it took forever for police to get there because the dispatchers didn't have maps showing Mountain Road.) There are several shantytowns behind the fences - men have been spotted scailing the fences to get to their homes after dark. There is also gang activity, particularly up and down Franklin Street, which is why I recommend the #87 above all if it is possible. Do not let all the condos being built there fool you. This is a very rough neighborhood. Several years ago, a curfew was created to cut down on drug and gang activity in several parts of JC. Three areas in the Heights were included - North Street from Palisade to either Liberty or Terrace, Palisade Avenue from Ferry to North Street and Franklin from Palisade to Central. (The Stop & Shop is allowed to stay open later because it has security.) Since I lived on Palisade between Franklin and Ferry, life was interesting, to say the least. Although expensive condos are being built, James Vincent has opened a store and rumor has it that an organic grocery is opening, the 'hood remains, for want of a better word, lively. (Last summer, I remember observing a bunch of men and women having quite the party for themselves on a couch oon the sidewalk right undera window of a condo on Palisade between Franklin and Hutton. It wasn't even dark yet.)

Posted on: 2008/12/26 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
that was a friend of mine. thats like the 3rd mugging there in a few months, all in the evening. clearly they're taking advantage of the walkers and dark corners, hello, more lights, more cops riding up this block would clearly help. how many more people in a month need to get mugged.

Posted on: 2008/12/22 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
The woman told police she was walking along Mountain Road near Franklin Street at around 6:30 p.m. when a man came up from behind, put a knife to her neck and grabbed her purse and fled with a small amount of cash and an iPod.

Thief threatens woman with knife

Posted on: 2008/12/22 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Serpentine, Shelly.. Serpentine!

Posted on: 2008/12/20 4:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
Make sure you sprint while zig zagging and suddenly stop and sprint again, Reapeat as necessary.

Thugs often have poor aim and wont give chase for more than a block. they are very lazy and unmotivated.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 23:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
The three victims said they were at Franklin Avenue and Mountain Road when two men walked up to them, demanded money, struck them and then ran off with the phones and the bags they were carrying, reports said.

Robber nabbed, but other on the loose

Posted on: 2008/12/17 19:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/19 14:35
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
I walk from the West Side Ave Light Rail down Mallory to my home in Lincoln Park, and while there is a lot of violent crime around, I seem to do so warily but with impunity.

The truth is, I am a middle-aged professional class white woman. I walk straight home and don't mess with anyone, and no one messes with me. Most of the people in the neighborhood are hard-working minorities who want me to patronize their stores, pay taxes, and keep the peace. Those of us who are "the good guys" look out for one another, and the violent young kids don't bother us.

Most of the "gang" activity is teenaged men (and sometimes women) attacking each other.

If you act like an aware and responsible citizen, you will probably be fine.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ExUWSguy wrote:
Hi all! I moved to JC Heights (Sherman & Franklin) 4 months ago, and often take the Light Rail, especially since it runs later after the buses from Hoboken or JSQ have stopped running.

Visting a friend the other night, he said there was some gang/drug dealing activity in the vicinity and I should avoid this, although I haven't noticed anything.

Does anyone have any advice/experiences to share? Thanks!

Yeah, keep yr eyes open !

Posted on: 2008/12/17 19:41

Safe to walk late at night from 2nd St Light Rail?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/6 17:44
Group:
Banned
Hi all! I moved to JC Heights (Sherman & Franklin) 4 months ago, and often take the Light Rail, especially since it runs later after the buses from Hoboken or JSQ have stopped running.

Visting a friend the other night, he said there was some gang/drug dealing activity in the vicinity and I should avoid this, although I haven't noticed anything.

Does anyone have any advice/experiences to share? Thanks!

Posted on: 2008/12/17 18:11

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017