Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
42 user(s) are online (23 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 7
Guests: 35

dtjcview, DAllen, OneOBall, JPhurst, fat-ass-bike, JCbiscuit, tommyc_37, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: First opossums, now raccoons in Paulus Hook
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sussexst wrote:
I heard something crawling up my fence last night. I thought it was the upstairs cat but I had heard the neighbors across the way yelling at something. Sure enough when I went outside I saw the unmistakable face of a raccoon balanced on top. First time I had seen one in this area.

It's a weak picture...this is my backyard stalker that hangs out in the tree and looks into the kitchen window when we cook dinner.

Photobucket

Posted on: 2009/6/7 12:44
Print Top

First opossums, now raccoons in Paulus Hook
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I heard something crawling up my fence last night. I thought it was the upstairs cat but I had heard the neighbors across the way yelling at something. Sure enough when I went outside I saw the unmistakable face of a raccoon balanced on top. First time I had seen one in this area.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 12:06
Print Top

Re: opossums
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

johnnytit wrote:
last night, on york by grove, there was an opossum just walking around, obviously hurt or something wrong with it because for 10 minutes it just kept circling in the driveway...running into the wall every now and again...and it came within 3 feet of me a couple of times....i saw the hair on its back was missing...it almost looked shaved like when an animal has surgery. it was pretty sad...i didn't know what to do. i never seen anything like this before. i just wished the little guy good luck and hopefully he snapped out of it before getting hit by a car or something.

That behavior doesn't sound good. It is wise to keep a very safe distance from it. In case you see it again, call JCPD and tell them about the behavior of the opossum (201-547-5477) have them beep AC. We do have rabies in HC and better to be safe and have it trapped. I am loaded with raccoons and opossums here in Lincoln Park. Thankfully so far this year they just look in the windows and not try to get in.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 11:19
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
in any other town I'd say, "call animal control!" but this is JC so.....good luck, possum.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 11:09
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
last night, on york by grove, there was an opossum just walking around, obviously hurt or something wrong with it because for 10 minutes it just kept circling in the driveway...running into the wall every now and again...and it came within 3 feet of me a couple of times....i saw the hair on its back was missing...it almost looked shaved like when an animal has surgery. it was pretty sad...i didn't know what to do. i never seen anything like this before. i just wished the little guy good luck and hopefully he snapped out of it before getting hit by a car or something.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 11:00
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Bergen/Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Monticello Avenue area: No wild turkeys here but we are visited nightly by possums, raccoons and ferals, oh my! Interestingly, the ferals and raccoons get along amazingly well. There have been a few tiffs between the possums and raccoons though.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 9:18
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Intersection of Venerated @ Ensconced
Group:
Registered Users
Dead possum sighting this morning. On the west side of Jersey Ave, between 2nd and 1st in the gutter. Hope it gets "disposed" of soon!

Posted on: 2009/6/5 11:22
"Dogs are our link to paradise." - Milan Kundera
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
i've heard about the wild turkey sighting too. effing hysterical. only in jc.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 11:16
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DCofJC wrote:
Legend has it, that in the Italian Village area, there have been turkey sitings. Can anyone validate this? God, I want nothing more than to be staggering home one night, and meeting up with a wild turkey in Jersey City!!! haha!

About a month ago, our next door neighbor said a wild turkey landed in our backyard during the day (6th between Erie and Jersey).

No, not an empty bourbon bottle.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 10:25
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I saw a groundhog this tuesday on Coles near the warehouse area past the turnpike.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 10:05
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Legend has it, that in the Italian Village area, there have been turkey sitings. Can anyone validate this? God, I want nothing more than to be staggering home one night, and meeting up with a wild turkey in Jersey City!!! haha!

Posted on: 2009/6/5 9:59
Print Top

Re: Anyone have a Havahart Trap?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

slauben wrote:
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Question, wouldn't it be better for you to call animal control and ask them to set a trap? This way you can call them the next day and they can pick it up and release it in a designated area. If you go that route, only set the trap Monday through Thursday so they can pick it up. It's cruel to leave them in the traps for long periods of time. If you really feel you can trap this yourself where do you plan on releasing it once it's caught?

Listen, I have done my research, it could cost upwards to $500 to have someone come and trap it. I just dont have that money. Of course I would not leave in the trap for long, as soon as it was caught I would drive it to the country and release it.

The city has an animal control department that also deals with wild animals. Animal Control does not charge, if the critter has made a home in your yard and poses a potential problem for your family or pets..Did you call the city animal control officer?

Posted on: 2008/9/22 17:24
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Question, wouldn't it be better for you to call animal control and ask them to set a trap? This way you can call them the next day and they can pick it up and release it in a designated area. If you go that route, only set the trap Monday through Thursday so they can pick it up. It's cruel to leave them in the traps for long periods of time. If you really feel you can trap this yourself where do you plan on releasing it once it's caught?

Listen, I have done my research, it could cost upwards to $500 to have someone come and trap it. I just dont have that money. Of course I would not leave in the trap for long, as soon as it was caught I would drive it to the country and release it.

Posted on: 2008/9/22 16:51
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/9/22 15:20
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
What makes them a problem? We had them, and aside from them eating the food we put our for our feral cat at the time, they were no trouble. Our cats wisely kept a respectful distance. Do you have dog without such prudence?

What makes them a problem is that we have 2 dogs that were originally bred for hunting small game and when they hear them outside at night they go insane... I have not slept in weeks. I am not sure if you are trying to be a wise ass with your response, but its really not appreciated... just looking for some assistance.

Posted on: 2008/9/22 15:09
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
What makes them a problem? We had them, and aside from them eating the food we put our for our feral cat at the time, they were no trouble. Our cats wisely kept a respectful distance. Do you have dog without such prudence?

Posted on: 2008/9/22 13:25
Print Top

Anyone have a Havahart Trap?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
We seem to have a opossum problem in our backyard. Does anyone have a Havahart trap that they are looking to get rid of?

Posted on: 2008/9/22 13:16
Print Top

Re: Rat-like creature spotted on Harrison Avenue!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
For more info on opossums, see this jclist topic thread:

Thanks Bright, I can't believe I forgot about that thread, I had a good laugh reading my nightly diary on that thread. It's been quiet and uneventful since the roof of the mudroom was taken over by a stray cat and now my life is opossum and raccoon free. : )

Posted on: 2008/6/1 22:02
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I once had an opossum sunning himself on my back porch. It climbed all the way up to the 3rd floor. I went outside and tried to scare him away and he didn't budge. I called animal control to come take it away but by the time they arrived (over an hour later) the thing was gone.

Posted on: 2008/6/1 21:29
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah definitely an opossum, they come out every year, find their way to Harrison Ave, my old dog used to kill them when they wondered into the backyard. They really used to play possum until my dog wondered away then they'd slowly crawl away...good thing to, I didn't want my dog going near them

Posted on: 2008/6/1 12:32
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the recipe, but I've lost my appetite.

Posted on: 2008/6/1 11:56
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Apparently, marsupials are pretty popular down south.

Click to see original Image in a new window

'Possum and Sweet 'Taters

1 opossum
Salt
1 quarter water
4 slices of bacon
Bread Stuffing (page 43)
8 small sweet potatoes

Scald possum in lye water and scrape off the hair, taking care not to break the skin. Dress whole, leaving on head and tail. Rub inside and out with salt; let stand in cool place overnight. Place breast-up in roaster, add 1 quart water, place 3 or 4 slices of bacon across breast, cover closely and bake in moderate oven (350 degrees F.) 45 minutes. Fill with Bread Stuffing (page 43) moistened with juice from roaster, surround with sweet potatoes and bake uncovered until very tender and well browned, about 1 hour. Allow 1/3 pound per person.

Posted on: 2008/6/1 10:21
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
That's the creature! I suspect that one is living in my house. I get the strange feeling I'm not alone. Good to know they are not harmful.

Thanks for the information.

Posted on: 2008/6/1 7:17
Print Top

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/6/1 6:50
Print Top

Rat-like creature spotted on Harrison Avenue!!!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I was looking out of the window last night to see if it was raining and noticed a cat running across the street in a panic. Seconds later a rat-like creature walked across the street. It was about the size of a cat, white or beige fur with possible brown marks and a long white hairless tail. WHAT IS THIS CREATURE!!!? I have been living on Harrison Avenue for 6 years and never saw this creature before.

Posted on: 2008/6/1 6:05
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I just saw one tonight! Funniest sight ever... was perched *on top of* the 8 ft. chain link fence that borders the parking lot behind Maximum Motion, across the street from the side of City Hall. I can't believe the little guy climbed up the fence and was just sitting there, chilling out. It was pretty fat, much bigger than a cat.

A guy was frantically warning everyone to cross to the other side of the street. I couldn't understand what he was saying at first; I thought there was going to be a dead body or something impaled on the fence. Oh, you silly city folk!

Posted on: 2008/2/13 23:00
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Many normally nocturnal animals in an urban setting get displaced during the day by human activity. It is not therefore a good assumption that they are rabid or sick. Any possum expert (I am not one) will tell you it is extremely rare for a possum to be rabid.

From the link posted earlier:

"OPOSSUMS AND RABIES
Opossums are highly resistant to the rabies virus."

Here's the link.

http://www.massaudubon.org/Nature_Con ... php?subject=Mammals&id=71

Posted on: 2008/1/29 12:11
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I just saw one in my neighbors yard on Friday afternoon, in daylight. They freak me out, nasty teeth....it was munching on something, ??? who knows what....

Posted on: 2008/1/28 21:44
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I've only seen one or two around jc lately. Thank god. Those things creep me out.

General rule of thumb, or rule of the wrist:

Most animals are more scared of you than you are of it. But if you see a nocturnal animal around during the day, It's a bad sign. It's either rabid or sick from something else.

Possums play dead, and I think most incidents occur when people see one laying on their porch or something and assume it's dead, they go to remove it and SURPRISE!

Posted on: 2008/1/28 19:08
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Opposums have been wandering the streets and yards of JC forever. The came in greater numbers when the Meadowlands began to be developed. Displaced, they simply headed for what they need most: food and shelter. Raccoons tend to make their way down from the Palisades.

See one at nght? Just enjoy the sight and the wonder that there is still wildlife managing existence is this urban mess. See one in the day? Stay away and report it.

I've been here all my life and that's a pretty long time. Never has there been a report of an opposum or raccoon attack. Save your aggression for the two-legged intruders.

Posted on: 2008/1/28 9:16
Print Top

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2014