Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
158 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bob Cotter Retiring - City Seeks New Planner (Job Listing Link)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City groups want national search for new chief planner

By Jersey Journal Guest Columnist
on February 24, 2016 at 12:46 PM
AN OPEN LETTER TO JERSEY CITY MAYOR STEVE FULOP

A new era for Jersey City begins with the news of the retirement of longtime Director of City Planning Robert Cotter, planned for April 1, 2016. To make Jersey City the "best mid-sized city in America," we need to conduct a national search for another planning director who will also bring creativity, appropriate thought, vision and practice to the current state of our redeveloping city.

The Downtown Coalition of Neighborhood Associations (DCNA) and our sister neighborhood associations and community groups throughout the city have long recognized the importance of proactive city planning. In this time of unprecedented growth, Jersey City's long-term success depends on its ability to deal with a complex set of conditions. Issues will include: outdated sewer and water infrastructure, increasingly overburdened mass transportation, a shortage of accessible and open green space and a rapidly growing need for safer streets for pedestrians and bicyclists.

Now is the time to think forward, think new, and think big. The new Jersey City planning director is a key position in the ongoing transformation of our city into the "best mid-sized City in America" that you've often spoken about publicly. The position needs someone of world-class caliber, who understands and can manage the long-term effects of development; someone with a fresh viewpoint who is ready to chart a new course for the next chapter in our city's evolution.
DCNA members, members of other community groups, and your fellow residents have one simple request of your administration: conduct a proactive and vigorous nationwide search for this key position, and hire the best qualified person you can find for director of city planning.

Please seize this opportunity to leave behind a lasting positive legacy. It is likely the best legacy you can ever provide for the city that you (and we) love.

The Downtown Coalition of Neighborhood Associations (DCNA)

Hamilton Park Neighborhood Association

Harsimus Cove Association

Historic Paulus Hook Association

Powerhouse Arts District Neighborhood Association

Van Vorst Park Association

Village Neighborhood Association

Duncan Avenue Neighborhood Association

West Side Community Alliance (WSCA)

Riverview Neighborhood Association

Jersey City Parks Coalition

Bergen Communities United

Civic JC

Storms Avenue Block Association (SABA)

Astor Place Neighborhood Association

Posted on: 2016/2/24 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Most New Urbanists far prefer sidewalk fronting street level retail to setback facades that break the life of a street. I haven't seen the KRE project, can someone describe what the plan is?

I thought we were talking about tower setbacks a la Empire State Building vs 432 Park.

No one is suggesting we ditch street level retail and build towers in a park. Ugh!!!

If the below rendering is accurate, it's full of your architectural setbacks. I believe what Yvonne means is property line setbacks. Don't you Yvonne?

Resized Image

http://www.designboom.com/architectur ... rs-new-jersey-10-29-2014/

Check out this last rendering, the POV is obviously from a boat at the Statue, but is labeled "viewed from lower manhattan". Even more curious is the use of a phone to blot out all teh other high rises on the waterfront

Resized Image

So Yvonne is advocating for Le Corbusier towers in a park instead of street fronting retail. Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Resized Image

vs.

Resized Image

Which do you prefer?

Posted on: 2016/2/23 12:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You are correct, massive buildings need this, if not they become overwhelming.

Only to people in denial that they live in a dense urban city. As I said, those setbacks and "tower in a park" Le Corbu mentality have been totally discredited as destructive to street life and the fabric of the city.

Have you ever read Jane Jacobs?

Posted on: 2016/2/23 4:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
Interesting article from way back in 1985 when development of the Newport area was taking place. I was recently talking to a realtor who recalled moving from Manhattan to one of the 1st highrises here ~ she said that the building was "considered luxury, for the time, and was filled with top professionals ~ doctors, lawyers, etc. It was an exciting place to live at the time."

I remember visiting friends there in the early 90's when a gatekeeper was on duty 24 hours/day. The buildings may have fallen on disrepair now but back in the day, the area was a blight on the shoreline. Hard to imagine, I know.

More here...

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/05/12/rea ... -jersey-city-s-shore.html

?said developers of Newport City, a huge mixed-use project near the Holland Tunnel, are ready to begin installing roads and utilities.?

I saw the above line in the NYT?s piece and it triggered something that I posted before about ?Newport City?. I still have the promotional brochures that don?t mention Jersey City in any of the directions and a map drawn to make it look like ?Newport City? was part of NYC.

MAYOR, DEVELOPER CLASH OVER MARKETING OF MASSIVE WATERFRONT PROJECT

FRANK BAJAK , Associated Press
Dec. 4, 1986 2:03 PM ET

JERSEY CITY, N.J. (AP) _ The developer of a $10 billion commercial and residential project has stopped running apartment ads in the Manhattan listings of The New York Times' classified section that failed to mention the project's Jersey City location.

The ads, in Wednesday's paper read: ''It's a Miracle 3/8 Newport. The New 21st Century Waterfront Community Opposite the World Trade Center.''

That angered Jersey City Mayor Anthony Cucci, who considered it another affront to New Jersey's second-largest city, where real estate values are booming because of a shortage of affordable living space in New York City.

Last week, Cucci pressured developer Samuel J. LeFrak into changing the project's name. Newport City became Newport, easing the mayor's concern that LeFrak would further distance himself from this city of immigrants by creating the impression he was building a separate city.

The mayor told LeFrak's aides at a planning board meeting that he would not support another application for the project unless ''City'' was removed from its name on all stationery, business cards, advertising and the like.

The word has even been painted over on signs at the entrance to the 400- acre development.

Full AP piece?

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1986/May ... cf9011feeb7981899e34b594e

Posted on: 2016/2/23 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Most New Urbanists far prefer sidewalk fronting street level retail to setback facades that break the life of a street. I haven't seen the KRE project, can someone describe what the plan is?

I thought we were talking about tower setbacks a la Empire State Building vs 432 Park.

No one is suggesting we ditch street level retail and build towers in a park. Ugh!!!

If the below rendering is accurate, it's full of your architectural setbacks. I believe what Yvonne means is property line setbacks. Don't you Yvonne?

Resized Image

Check out this last rendering, the POV is obviously from a boat at the Statue, but is labeled "viewed from lower manhattan". Even more curious is the use of a phone to blot out all teh other high rises on the waterfront

Resized Image

You are correct, massive buildings need this, if not they become overwhelming.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/2/23 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

The KRE Journal Squared project:

Construction on Jersey City's massive three-tower residential development begins

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _takes_off_developer.html

Posted on: 2016/2/23 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/22 23:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2016/2/22 23:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The KRE has all sort of perks from city hall, McLaughlin does not. The fact their building is next to the funeral home is outrageous. It does not allow the owner to do maintenance on their building. I heard from a source, KRE dropped a heavy piece of equipment on McLaughlin's roof. Tall buildings should have set back and open space. I find the building ugly not up to the modern standards. It looks like a heavy wind will tear off the white laminate pasted on the exterior of the building. Journal Square has no open space so new construction should provide this. If you are receiving redevelopment loans, 30 year tax abatement and the closest space to the PATH, give something back to the community.

The Zoning Standards can, and should, be updated to include required setbacks, or contextual zoning overlays introduced "Contextual zoning regulates the height and bulk of new buildings, their setback from the street line, and their width along the street frontage, to produce buildings that are consistent with existing neighborhood character".

There are currently Design Standards in the code of ordinances, as well, although it seems hard to justify how well the KRE project - maybe attempting to channel 432 Park Avenue? - satisfies these:

F. Monotonous uninterrupted expanses of walls shall be avoided. Facade articulations such as recesses, projections, columns, openings, ornamentation, decorative materials and colors shall be used to add texture and detail.
G. Materials and colors shall be compatible with the neighborhood character, streetscape and adjacent structures.

+1

How can we petition the city to make these changes?

Posted on: 2016/2/22 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The KRE has all sort of perks from city hall, McLaughlin does not. The fact their building is next to the funeral home is outrageous. It does not allow the owner to do maintenance on their building. I heard from a source, KRE dropped a heavy piece of equipment on McLaughlin's roof. Tall buildings should have set back and open space. I find the building ugly not up to the modern standards. It looks like a heavy wind will tear off the white laminate pasted on the exterior of the building. Journal Square has no open space so new construction should provide this. If you are receiving redevelopment loans, 30 year tax abatement and the closest space to the PATH, give something back to the community.

The Zoning Standards can, and should, be updated to include required setbacks, or contextual zoning overlays introduced "Contextual zoning regulates the height and bulk of new buildings, their setback from the street line, and their width along the street frontage, to produce buildings that are consistent with existing neighborhood character".

There are currently Design Standards in the code of ordinances, as well, although it seems hard to justify how well the KRE project - maybe attempting to channel 432 Park Avenue? - satisfies these:

F. Monotonous uninterrupted expanses of walls shall be avoided. Facade articulations such as recesses, projections, columns, openings, ornamentation, decorative materials and colors shall be used to add texture and detail.
G. Materials and colors shall be compatible with the neighborhood character, streetscape and adjacent structures.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
As you can see, the article talks about then Mayor McCann. McCann supported Ronald Reagan as a Democratic mayor. When Reagan got in Reagan gave JC a $40 million UDAG grant which was given to Newport, the largest at the time. This is the reason Newport came here. As I mentioned earlier tax abatements were never part of the original deal until Cucci approached Newport about prepaying their taxes.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting article from way back in 1985 when development of the Newport area was taking place. I was recently talking to a realtor who recalled moving from Manhattan to one of the 1st highrises here ~ she said that the building was "considered luxury, for the time, and was filled with top professionals ~ doctors, lawyers, etc. It was an exciting place to live at the time."

I remember visiting friends there in the early 90's when a gatekeeper was on duty 24 hours/day. The buildings may have fallen on disrepair now but back in the day, the area was a blight on the shoreline. Hard to imagine, I know.

More here...

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/05/12/rea ... -jersey-city-s-shore.html

Posted on: 2016/2/22 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

They are giving back to the community: KRE is providing the much needed jump start to the revitalization of Journal Square along with new retail opportunities that will employ hundreds and homes for a couple thousand people. There is also a park planned behind the buildings for area residents. I know we're not going to see eye to eye on this but that Journal Square development is a godsend. You above all people know what this city was like years ago when no one wanted to live here. Is Journal Square better off today in 2016 than it was in the 70s and 80s?

I agree we will not agree, it is an eyesore and I wished another developer was picked. The only reason Journal Square did not take off before, developers put their money downtown because downtown was being market as the place to develop.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

They are giving back to the community: KRE is providing the much needed jump start to the revitalization of Journal Square along with new retail opportunities that will employ hundreds and homes for a couple thousand people. There is also a park planned behind the buildings for area residents. I know we're not going to see eye to eye on this but that Journal Square development is a godsend. You above all people know what this city was like years ago when no one wanted to live here. Is Journal Square better off today in 2016 than it was in the 70s and 80s?

Posted on: 2016/2/22 4:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/22 4:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
He will be missed. I really hope the city decides to promote from within. Someone that understands where Jersey City has been and a vision for its future.

Yvonne's critique of Newport is a little unfair. It's hard to require good buildings design back in the day when the waterfront was an industrial wasteland and no one wanted to live here. Having said thay, I kind of agree it's an unfortunate mess. Lesson learned.

The funeral home should have sold. It's so out of place sandwiched between a regional transportation hub and a 50 storey tower. It would be nice if the city could buy it to create a park/pathway from the backend of Journal Square to Pavonia. Overall, I'm very satisfied how Journal Square's revitalization is turning out. WTG Bob Cotter!!

Wait, someone's family business and you are saying it should have been sold! How arrogant! Many people have used McLaughlin due to its confidence. I also do not agree with you about the parking garages, many people spoke up during the designs, but the city allowed this to happened. Luckily, Cucci who was councilman during the time reduced Newport from 2nd Street to 6th Street. The design does not blend with the rest of the city. Still, you have not addressed my issue of buildings with no setbacks and open space. We have allowed developers to get away with many things and push their designs without proper givebacks. I still remember LeFrak pushing his designs and promising a Central Park with his development. I am still waiting for Central Park to come on board.

It's their right to stay, but personally the area has changed vastly, and they would have been better off selling to the developers of Journal Square and relocating elsewhere. This opinion insults you Yvonne?

Thanks for the history on Newport. Again, hindsight is 20/20. As for setbacks, what types of setbacks are you talking about? If you mean how buildings rise all the way to the top without any setbacks, I agree the city should do more. Have you voiced this opinion on any of the public meetings? It would be nice to see some "wedding cake" buildings like in NYC.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 3:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Cotter utterly failed in planning parks for developing neighborhoods. Newport just made their 1st, 4 acres. That's to serve 15k residents. National standards call for a minimum of 1 acre per 1000 residents of "neighborhood park". The rest Downtown and of the city is no better, but it was not built from scratch under his watch. It's still going on in LHN and with the high rise housing going up in the Taint with no park for the families of these large apartments.

https://www.planning.org/pas/at60/report194.htm

Resized Image

National Standards for Suburban, USA but it's a joke for a city. I wonder how NYC, Chicago, Philly and other great cities stacks up against this "national standard?" Lol

Posted on: 2016/2/22 3:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Bob Cotter was working in the early 1980s, I saw him at Planning board meetings. I remember a statement he made about lowering some standards because he said developers will contribute to a walkway. I always felt the flooding problem should have been addressed by new development and not pushed aside. Some people stated their flooding got worse after the Newport development.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 3:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Cotter utterly failed in planning parks for developing neighborhoods. Newport just made their 1st, 4 acres. That's to serve 15k residents. National standards call for a minimum of 1 acre per 1000 residents of "neighborhood park". The rest Downtown and of the city is no better, but it was not built from scratch under his watch. It's still going on in LHN and with the high rise housing going up in the Taint with no park for the families of these large apartments.

https://www.planning.org/pas/at60/report194.htm

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/2/22 2:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
He will be missed. I really hope the city decides to promote from within. Someone that understands where Jersey City has been and a vision for its future.

Yvonne's critique of Newport is a little unfair. It's hard to require good buildings design back in the day when the waterfront was an industrial wasteland and no one wanted to live here. Having said thay, I kind of agree it's an unfortunate mess. Lesson learned.

The funeral home should have sold. It's so out of place sandwiched between a regional transportation hub and a 50 storey tower. It would be nice if the city could buy it to create a park/pathway from the backend of Journal Square to Pavonia. Overall, I'm very satisfied how Journal Square's revitalization is turning out. WTG Bob Cotter!!

Wait, someone's family business and you are saying it should have been sold! How arrogant! Many people have used McLaughlin due to its confidence. I also do not agree with you about the parking garages, many people spoke up during the designs, but the city allowed this to happened. Luckily, Cucci who was councilman during the time reduced Newport from 2nd Street to 6th Street. The design does not blend with the rest of the city. Still, you have not addressed my issue of buildings with no setbacks and open space. We have allowed developers to get away with many things and push their designs without proper givebacks. I still remember LeFrak pushing his designs and promising a Central Park with his development. I am still waiting for Central Park to come on board.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 1:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/22 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A lot of people are giving Cotter raves, but he also gave us that wall at 6th Street (Newport garage) that cuts Newport from the rest of the city. Cotter gave us buildings without setbacks and little to no open space. The building going up in the JQ is too close to McLaughlin Funeral Home and the structure looks like white laminate place over the fixture. Sorry, I don't see.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 0:19

Bob Cotter Retiring - City Seeks New Planner (Job Listing Link)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on February 21, 2016 at 2:57 PM, updated February 21, 2016 at 3:15 PM

JERSEY CITY ? Bob Cotter, the city's top planner, is retiring after 36 years on the job, a span that saw the city's Waterfront transformed from an industrial backwater into one of the most desirable real-estate markets in the nation.

Cotter called Jersey City's growth "the stuff of legend" in a statement released by the city last week.

"The city is a much better place than I found it, and that is what city planners hope and study to do," Cotter said.

More

Job Listing

Posted on: 2016/2/21 23:35

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017