Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Anyone know what fire rating is currently required on apartment entry doors?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Looks like I'l actually have to go through the pain of contacting either Trenton or JC. No point in buying what might be wrong. Those mineral core luan doors come in ratings from 20 to 90 minutes. Hard to believe a steel door with a lumber edge has a poorer rating than a wooden door with a varnish. Especially the panel door I have, I doubt it was meant for that. It's not even particularly secure!

Posted on: 2016/2/19 22:15

Re: Anyone know what fire rating is currently required on apartment entry doors?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
I put in metal framed, metal 6 panel doors that have a 1 hour rating listed on them. This met code way back when I renovated (15+ years ago).

Posted on: 2016/2/19 13:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/12 11:58
From First and Grove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Never had to replace a door before, I got a mineral core door warped beyond redemption. Has anyone had to deal with what the rating requirement is for old buildings, not new construction? Last time I had to deal with this issue I painted a wooden door with fire rating varnish, and it passed green card.

I believe you answered your own question. The "varnish" you are talking about is probably an intumescent coating, which as I recall was used to fire rate wooden doors with flat panels and 1-3/8 thick. The Fire Department accepted this as a 20 minute rating, in cases where the frame could not be modified to accept a 1-3/4 door. They may or may not accept this option, so you really should call them. What's confusing here is the term "mineral core" door you are referring to. That fill is generally used in a 90 minute or higher rating, and further requires a steel frame to maintain the fire rating. You should really check with the Fire Dept on the required rating, as it is dependent on many factors. Size of building, number or units to name a few, and they should be able to tell you right off, age of building may or may not have an impact.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 12:59

Anyone know what fire rating is currently required on apartment entry doors?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Never had to replace a door before, I got a mineral core door warped beyond redemption. Has anyone had to deal with what the rating requirement is for old buildings, not new construction? Last time I had to deal with this issue I painted a wooden door with fire rating varnish, and it passed green card.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 3:53

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017