Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
71 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 71

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Registering a business name
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
To "protect" your name/logo in the state of New Jersey, you must file a trademark application with the state. It's easy to do and you can download the application online. You must refile every few years. Just follow the instructions and you can do this yourself.

You will need an artistic representation of your name and a few samples of how it will be used in your business (like the way it looks on a business card, t-shirt, website, etc).

If your business is going to be focused beyond this region, you will need a federal trademark. You can do this online yourself, working through the federal system, or a service like LegalZoom.com can do it for you (for a fee).

Protecting your name can sometimes be a difficult thing to do if you're a small business without a cushion of cash for litigation. If someone "takes" your same name and product/service focus, then you'll most likely have to retain a lawyer to sue them to cease and desist.

I found this site online which is helpful to a small business start up - it does mention the NJ Trademark site as well:

http://www.njsbdc.com/articles/faq.php/

Good luck!

Posted on: 2011/4/22 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/4/22 1:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
If you want to stop others from using a name in commerce you should file for a trademark, especially if you will be doing business online.

Getting a business license from the city only entitles you to do business within city limits. You can file for a dba with the state, but that provides limited protection. So a trademark (which is filed with the federal Patent and Trademark Office) is what you want.

Posted on: 2011/4/22 0:52

Registering a business name

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/23 3:20
Group:
Registered Users
I'm starting a craft company to sell online and do not want the name taken. I'm not too sure what to do to register the name. Do I need to go to city hall to the county clerk?

Maybe if you could direct me to a website that would help.

Thank you!

Posted on: 2011/4/21 23:53

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017