Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JERSEY CITY RALLY PLANNED TO “SPREAD THE WORD” ON UNITY
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
***Students and schools across the U.S. will unite in their challenge for everyone to think before they speak***

There's something that hasn't been taught in a long long long time. I remember this teaching in school.

Guess I just dated myself.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
It's like the (6-letter) "f" word - so offensive and it was being used like "hey neighbor". dude. I had to ban it in my house. Really pissed people off.

I'm growing to feel the same about the "r" word. It's used so glibly, universally as an automatic negative, and it's making me sick.

I'm well aware that language is fluid. But I also think it's important to be aware of how we use language and sometimes, our understanding of meaning and impact dictate a rethink.

The underlying meaning of "retard" as an insult is what we can check here.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
My vote goes to ERIC CARTMAN!

Posted on: 2010/3/5 15:06

JERSEY CITY RALLY PLANNED TO “SPREAD THE WORD” ON UNITY
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(this event is being covered by all of the local news stations and JC cable. Check it out on the tube tonight these JC kids did a GREAT job practicing for their big event!) (wish them luck)

JERSEY CITY RALLY PLANNED TO ?SPREAD THE WORD? ON UNITY

Event will include 40 schools and more than 1500 students from throughout the district.

03.04.2010 ? LAWRENCEVILLE, NJ ? Jersey City Public Schools and Special Olympics New Jersey will host a ?Project Unify ? Spread the Word to End the Word? rally at St. Peter?s College on Friday, March 5 from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
More than 2,200 students and staff are expected to attend the event which is part of the ongoing ?Project Unify? initiative within the Jersey City Public Schools designed to promote unity among students with and without intellectual disabilities. Student performances during the rally will include skits, raps, songs, spoken word, and dance. All acts were created by the students in support of a caring learning environment for all students within an accepting and inclusive community. Themes will include empathy, unity and respect.

Spread the Word to End the Word is a Special Olympics supported campaign devoted to educating and raising awareness about individuals with intellectual disabilities and the offensive use of the ?R-word.?

Activities will commence across the country on March 3 - engaging schools, organizations and communities by raising the consciousness of society about the dehumanizing and hurtful effects of the word ?retard(ed),? and encouraging everyone to stop using the word. Students and schools across the U.S. will unite in their challenge for everyone to think before they speak.

Currently Jersey City has more than 4500 students that participate in Special Olympics within their schools including Unified programs where students with and without intellectual disabilities participate in sport together.

For more information on the Spread the Word to End the Word campaign, please visit www.r-word.org.

To learn more about competing, volunteering or supporting Special Olympics New Jersey, visit www.sonj.org.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
About Special Olympics New Jersey

Special Olympics New Jersey provides year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for more than 21,000 children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community.

Project UNIFY (or the National Youth Activation Project)

?Project UNIFY? will establish a national capacity and commitment to support individuals with intellectual disabilities through an integrated program of education in the classroom and community, hands-on experiences, and purposeful leadership development among America?s youth.

Found piece on:

taken from this link

Posted on: 2010/3/5 14:10

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017