Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City Artist Locks Sculpture Outside Harlem Gallery, Gets Locked Up
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 2:12
Group:
Banned
Uh oh, nobody tell this guy!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/12/20 6:40

Jersey City Artist Locks Sculpture Outside Harlem Gallery, Gets Locked Up
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Artist Locks Sculpture Outside Harlem Gallery, Gets Locked Up

Resized Image

photo of Hulbert Waldroup from the artist's website

Artist Hulbert Waldroup was arrested Friday for installing a sculpture outside a Harlem gallery, purportedly without permission from the gallery's owner. The Jersey City artist put his work "The Gates" ? which consists of two 10-foot tall antique iron gates decorated with hand-painted offensive street signs reading, "No blacks, No Jews, No Gay!" among other messages ? in front of the Heath Gallery on Tuesday and was arrested when he tried to retrieve it.

Gallery owner Saundra Alexis Heath said that although Waldroup had been invited to show his work in the past, he did not have permission to exhibit "The Gates." "This is not anything we had authorized," she said. "He actually welded this structure to the front banister. We're a landmarked property, so we immediately contacted the police because this is vandalism." Waldroup insists he had permission. "I was invited to display my art and they had me arrested," he noted. "There's no way I'll let them show my work again."

According to the Daily News, Waldroup "has a reputation for courting controversy" for painting former Governor Eliot Spitzer in a series of portraits of prostitutes, and for a controversial memorial mural for Amadou Diallo that includes Ku Klux Klan-hooded police officers, which has become a tourist destination. Police voided Waldroup's arrest and will let the artist and the gallery settle the dispute in civil court.

http://gothamist.com/2009/12/19/artis ... culpture_outside_gall.php

Posted on: 2009/12/20 5:08

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017