Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
34 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 5
Guests: 29

brewster, JCMan8, drifterx, jklm, Individual, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Parking Permit Question

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Liberty Mutual has good rates for car insurance in JC.

Posted on: 2007/8/6 21:47
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
call the parking authority. when i got a parking permit a couple of years ago there was a rate for a non-NJ registered plates. i think it was $200 or so a year vs the $10 for NJ plates.
and the time i went to the parking authority on central avenue the people were fine.
in terms of insurance, call geico. it or a division of it started insuring in NJ about a year or so ago. my rate isn't cheap but it isn't outrageous either.

Posted on: 2007/8/6 16:48
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
one of the women at the jcpa who processes the permits is very surly (read: horrible) and will find any reason to reject you, even if you live in jersey city and have all the right information.

so going in with improper creditials will get you nowhere. think of her as the linebacker of evil.

Posted on: 2007/8/6 15:25
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
the first 18 months I was living downtown I didn't bother getting a permit and I survived. I drove to work before 10 am or came home after 3. (usually left by 8 and came home after 5). Now I've moved between zones and haven't gotten around to getting a new zone because, once again, I'm not usually home during the day (and if I am, I park in my old zone and walk home)

So in short, if you drive to work you don't need to worry about obtaining a parking permit. On your days off you can always park in a pay lot or garage, though these are getting to be harder to find.

Of course I don't think you should practice insurance fraud and should change your information around. But that being said, dealing with the parking authority is a lot like having a tooth pulled.

Posted on: 2007/8/6 15:25
Print Top

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
Nope. There is no way possible, believe me I searched for 3 years cause I am a full time Ph.D. student so this is not my pernament address, but I lived in Downtown. So legally I was not required to have NJ Plates, but in Downtown the only way to get a permit is to have NJ Plates and registration.

I wasnt even able to just prove my student status and prove that I had a rental residence in downtown, they still did not allow it. So I eventually moved out of the area. It wasnt worth it to me to change insurances.

But I will say, I regret making the move, downtown is great. Thinking of moving back and getting a parking garage, even if its over 100 a mo. Its still CHEAPER than getting NJ insurance. And in my case, its not even fraud and I still couldnt get a permit.

Posted on: 2007/8/6 11:04
Print Top

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park, JC
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the quick replies. I suppose I will have to say good bye to my relatively cheap central Jersey rates. Does anyone have any suggestions on insurance companies that might have reasonable rates for JC?

Thanks again.

Posted on: 2007/8/5 19:43
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
You pretty much have to have your car registered and insured in NJ if you want a JC residential parking permit.

If car insurance is such a problem then a) get rid of your car, or b) don't move here.

Posted on: 2007/8/5 19:39
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ohenry251 wrote:
Hello,

I am considering buying an apt in Hamilton Park. I will need to park on the street, but I do not want to change my license and vehicle registration to Jersey City, due to the high insurance rates that go along with that address. Is it possible to get a parking permit for my vehicle without changing my address?

Thanks

The potential for you getting caught for insurance fraud is about 99% if you own, have a mortgage, pay taxes and insure your apartment. If you ever have an accident with that vehicle and you are sued your insurance company will not pay the claim, if your car is stolen and the insurance company runs you, they will not pay the claim.........Is it really worth the risk?

And to answer your question , no you can not.

Posted on: 2007/8/5 19:39
Print Top

Parking Permit Question

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park, JC
Group:
Registered Users
Hello,

I am considering buying an apt in Hamilton Park. I will need to park on the street, but I do not want to change my license and vehicle registration to Jersey City, due to the high insurance rates that go along with that address. Is it possible to get a parking permit for my vehicle without changing my address?

Thanks

Posted on: 2007/8/5 19:30
Print Top

Re: Residential Parking Permit?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
why bother AT ALL? There's illegal parking up and down Varick DAY and NIGHT, same cars ALL the time, NEVER a ticket to be seen.

Posted on: 2007/6/26 18:30
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yep, these $125 per month parking spots for rent are all over the Exchange Place area.

What's the deal? It is especially irritating as it is difficult for residents in these zones to find parking.

Robin.

Posted on: 2007/6/26 18:20
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCP wrote:
T
While cruising around I keep seeing these brand new signs that say "Reserved Parking". I have never seen street side reserved parking and wonder WTF that means. Later I pass a sign that says to contact the JCPA and you can get a reserved street side spot for $125 a month... Are you kidding me? I live and pay taxes here, and get a parking permit, yet I still can't park anywhere close to my home???

Wow, that's crazy. So much for the argument against curb cuts & driveways, that they take a spot on the curb and make it available only to the property owner 24/7. The JCPA is now selling our streets! Not that it'll balance their books.

Posted on: 2007/6/26 17:40
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Taking the advice given in this thread I went to the JCPA and got a temporary parking permit for Zone 4. It cost me $15 and is good for 30 days. I can get a non-temp permit once I update my DL and Registration with my new address, which means more paperwork and another trip to the JCPA (and probably another fee).

Anyway, after getting the temp permit I return home and begin to scour the streets for parking. I was hoping to park on Grand Street, which is only 2 blocks away from my home address, but see that it says Zone 3 parking only (without a Zone 3 you get towed if parked over 2 hours). Extremely annoyed I go searching for parking on the other side of Montgomery.

While cruising around I keep seeing these brand new signs that say "Reserved Parking". I have never seen street side reserved parking and wonder WTF that means. Later I pass a sign that says to contact the JCPA and you can get a reserved street side spot for $125 a month... Are you kidding me? I live and pay taxes here, and get a parking permit, yet I still can't park anywhere close to my home???

Sorry for the rant. I just find it ridiculous and wonder why I even need a parking permit since I can't use it anywhere close to my home. I ended up finding parking deep in the PAD near warren street. It was the only street not covered with reserved parking signs.

Posted on: 2007/6/26 16:05
Print Top

Re: PARKING PERMIT FOR NON-NJ LICENSE TAGS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caps wrote:
i'm new to parking in JC.

question.

i have a zone 5 permit, i am parked on 4th btwn jersey and coles. the signs say must have zone 5 but they also say no parking btwn 1-3 tues and friday. is that because of street sweeping? i don't think i have ever seen a street sweeper come down this street. does anyone know how firm that 1-3 no parking is, will i more than likely get a ticket if i don't move. i can understand jersey or coles but this is a side street. any info would be appreciated. thanks

I think if you watched on tuesday and friday between 1 and 3 PM, you'd see a street sweeper come down the street. They are pretty regular in JC. You will, in most cases, get a ticket if you don't move your car. If you are around, you can double park until the sweeper passes, then put your car back for the remainder of the resticted time without getting a ticket.

Posted on: 2007/6/24 8:25
Print Top

Hide User information
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I'd move to the other side of the street just to be safe.

Posted on: 2007/6/23 20:55
-Nick
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
i'm new to parking in JC.

question.

i have a zone 5 permit, i am parked on 4th btwn jersey and coles. the signs say must have zone 5 but they also say no parking btwn 1-3 tues and friday. is that because of street sweeping? i don't think i have ever seen a street sweeper come down this street. does anyone know how firm that 1-3 no parking is, will i more than likely get a ticket if i don't move. i can understand jersey or coles but this is a side street. any info would be appreciated. thanks

Posted on: 2007/6/23 20:39
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I'm surprised that people don't act like construction guys when they are at a site for any length of time.
They deface the parking sign by placing stickers on them, remove the sign or remove the sign and pole all together.

Posted on: 2007/6/21 7:45
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Banned
Quote:

I'm surprised they don't have an up to date map online.

I'm surprised that you're surprised.

Posted on: 2007/6/21 5:37
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Hey Br- that list is outdated...fyi

I'm surprised they don't have an up to date map online.

Posted on: 2007/6/21 4:33
Print Top

Zone number blanked out.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know why some of the zone parking signs have the zone number painted over in white?

The signs obviously once listed a zone but it has now been removed so the sign just says "withouot zone _ permit".

The signs are like this on 8th between Marin and Grove, and I have also seen them like this in some streets in Paulus Hook.

Robin.

Posted on: 2007/6/20 22:44
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caps wrote:
does anyone know the zones or have a map of them. i just got a permit for zone 6 but not sure of the extent of the vicinity i can park in. thanks

Caps, you live on 4th and have a zone 6 permit??

I have a color coded map of all ward E in my office that I did when I worked for Councilman Maldonado.
Call me and I will tell you the cut off.
I'll PM you my number or call 201-653-6969 and ask them to fax you the list of streets that fall into your zone.

Posted on: 2007/6/20 21:39
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
This might help:

Parking zones by street

I guess I'm far enough out in the sticks that I don't need a parking permit. I found this out by driving to the Jersey City Parking Authority. I also found out that the meters on that street only take quarters. And that the bastards who hand out tickets are fast as the wind. One of them got me while I was in the store my truck was parked in front of getting quarters to put in the meter.

Hey Br- that list is outdated...fyi

Posted on: 2007/6/20 21:32
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
@ rewriter:

"As for your out-of-town friends, they can park from 6 p.m. on Friday until Monday morning. If they visit you at other times, you need to get a visitor's permit from the Parking Authority."

Just to be sure, does that mean no permit needed for NJ or Non-NJ license tags from 6 PM onwards on Friday.

And till what time MONDAY MORNING?

Also, for all the folks: my job might require some travelling for a couple of weeks at stretch. Is there a place to park without getting booted? or some not obscenely expensive parking lot?

thanks folks!

Posted on: 2007/6/12 12:00
Print Top

Hide User information
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
I moved here in April and found out right away (I got booted) that no one cares that you just moved in--you need a parking permit. The Parking Authority is on Central Ave. in the Heights, and they will give you a temporary (30-day) permit; during this time, you need to register your car in NJ and then apply for a resident permit.

As for your out-of-town friends, they can park from 6 p.m. on Friday until Monday morning. If they visit you at other times, you need to get a visitor's permit from the Parking Authority.

I don't know why your neighborhood does not have street signs indicating that a zone permit is required. Talk to your neighbors.

Welcome to Jersey City, a great place to live. Where are you from?

Posted on: 2007/6/12 9:53
Print Top

PARKING PERMIT FOR NON-NJ LICENSE TAGS

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Hello All,

I would like to get some information regarding JC resident parking permit rules and would really appreciate any help with the following issues:

1. I have a non-NJ license tag. Is it at all possible for me to park without a permit in Jersey city? I am moving on storms avenue. There were NO "zone X(2) permit required" sign boards there as I saw in most of JC. Does that mean permits are not required?

2. Even if it is possible for me to get the permit on Non_NJ license tags, what can I do for the first few days when I would have just moved in with my stuff? Is it important to have the temporary permit before moving in or is there some "visitor" parking? Also, I mean from the longer run point of view, if i have some guests where are they supposed to park?

thanks!

Posted on: 2007/6/12 1:59
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks very much for the quick info.

I was up on Central Avenue today renewing my resident permit, which has (for a few years now) been an interant sticker (good for all zones, as most of you know).

The reason this has been freely provided before is because I live in zone 6 but also own rental property in zone 2, and thus there are obviously days when I'm in zone 2 because of maintenance on the building, etc.

However, I was a tad peeved to be told that I could no longer have an interant sticker, even with all documentation that I'm a property owner in multiple zones.

Apparently, everytime I now need to be parked at a rental property that I OWN and pay taxes on, I have to go to Central Avenue to get a Visitor's Permit or else risk getting booted.

Robin -- any suggestions in how to remedy this, or am I just asking for an ulcer in trying?

Posted on: 2007/4/26 18:27
Print Top

Speaking of parking permits -- what about for contractors??
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived here long enough that I should already know this answer (but I don't).....

I know the JCPA will issue temporary parking permits for folks doing work at your house. I'm going to have a painter here for about two weeks, and I obviously want to do it by the numbers so there are no hassles (or boots!).

Other than providing the guy's vehicle description and tag number, what else do they need? I can't imagine it's as easy as getting a one-day visitor parking pass (nor do I imagine it's free, like the visitor pass).

To those who have done this before, please fill me in. I just want to make sure that I'm fully prepared when I go up to Central Avenue. Thanks very much.

Posted on: 2007/4/25 17:46
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
thanks for the advice but its actually totally legal -- my car is registered to my parents house (since that is my legal address) but it is "garaged" (the legal word for where you park) in JC -- my parents are actually insurance agents so there is no way they would ever let me do something that wasn't 100% by the books

also since I don't go to school in JC they wouldn't allow me to get a permit that way either........

while I understand the reasoning behind the making people register their cars here I think that there needs to some sort of exceptions in cases like mine -- it takes a lot of time and money to get a new license, registration, insurance etc all for 18mths of grad school - only to go it all over again when I move home.....i told them I would be more than happy to give them what ever they wanted for the permit since I am actually living here and want to legally park my car

I'm here for school too, and i figured it is less of a hassle to get a new license and registration and update my insurance address rather than worry about my car. 18 months is a long time, who knows you might end up getting a job here and stay.

Posted on: 2007/4/25 14:13
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
Quote:

PhillyGirl wrote:
For the newbies, don't be scared of the parking permit people. Just be nice. Very very very nice. Then you get great service.

W/r/t the student, NJ state law may not require you to get a NJ license and re-register your car, but I bet your insurance company would be interested to hear about where your car spends most of its time . . . Just something to think about.

Where are you in school? NJCU has pretty cheap parking for the daytime -- and nights don't matter for permits. Don't know about St Peters.

thanks for the advice but its actually totally legal -- my car is registered to my parents house (since that is my legal address) but it is "garaged" (the legal word for where you park) in JC -- my parents are actually insurance agents so there is no way they would ever let me do something that wasn't 100% by the books

also since I don't go to school in JC they wouldn't allow me to get a permit that way either........

while I understand the reasoning behind the making people register their cars here I think that there needs to some sort of exceptions in cases like mine -- it takes a lot of time and money to get a new license, registration, insurance etc all for 18mths of grad school - only to go it all over again when I move home.....i told them I would be more than happy to give them what ever they wanted for the permit since I am actually living here and want to legally park my car

Only the City Council can fix this, they would have to amend the original ordinance to make exceptions/ provisions for students. Depending on how long you will be here, you may want to lobby a Councilperson.

Posted on: 2007/4/24 19:08
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PhillyGirl wrote:
For the newbies, don't be scared of the parking permit people. Just be nice. Very very very nice. Then you get great service.

W/r/t the student, NJ state law may not require you to get a NJ license and re-register your car, but I bet your insurance company would be interested to hear about where your car spends most of its time . . . Just something to think about.

Where are you in school? NJCU has pretty cheap parking for the daytime -- and nights don't matter for permits. Don't know about St Peters.

Posted on: 2007/4/24 19:02
Print Top

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2014