Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
154 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Lincoln Park: Former residents of the 'Duncan Projects' hold reunion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Former residents of Jersey City's 'Duncan Projects' hold reunion at Lincoln Park

Monday, August 15, 2011, 3:00 AM
By Jean-Pierre Mestanza/The Jersey Journal

The last building of the old A. Harry Moore housing complex, also known as the Duncan Projects, was torn down earlier this year and is being replaced by a smaller-scale affordable housing community.

CHANCE CHANDLER attempts to fly a kite at the Duncan Projects reunion party at Lincoln Park on Saturday.

But even though the buildings are gone, the relationships that were built at the housing complex remain strong and were on full display Saturday at a reunion party held at Lincoln Park.

Entertainment was provided by Biz Markie and Doug E. Fresh, legendary figures in the world of hip-hop who helped popularize the music in the 1980s.

?Everybody does try to come out here and see people you haven?t seen in a long time It?s a beautiful thing, a very beautiful thing,? said 46-year-old George Giles, who moved to Ocean County when he left the housing complex.
The reunion was expected to attract upwards of 3,000 people, event organizer Joey Timberlake said.

?There was a lot of people that use to live in those buildings, you got friends of friends, and family members, and people who moved out 10, 20, even 30 years ago, and even older than that,? Timberlake said.

THERESA TIMBERLAKE prepares plates of food at Saturday's Duncan Projects reunion party at Lincoln Park.

The first reunion was held in 2007 in the courtyard of the projects, a few months before the first building was scheduled to be torn down.

?We?re all out here hanging out. I promised (Timberland) I?d come in the past and wasn?t able to make it. This is my man, I had to come out and give back to the community,? said Biz Markie, whose real name is Marcel Hall.

Evelyn McCain, 63, of Bergen Avenue, raised four kids as well as a couple of nieces and nephews while she lived in the Duncan housing complex.

?This is fantastic, it?s a real thrill,? she said Saturday. ?Everyone pitches in. It?s a family affair.?

Posted on: 2011/8/15 14:46

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017