Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

St. Peter's College Area: Homeless man has art show at Raph's Plaza African Market and Cafe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

View Larger Map Resized Image Recently homeless man to hold art exhibit in Jersey City Published: Saturday, November 13, 2010, 9:02 PM Amy Sara Clark/The Jersey Journal One of the drawings by Alfonso Daniels, who up until three months ago was homeless. The drawings will be on sale at a Jersey City Cafe beginning Monday. Alfonso Daniels, who up until three months ago was homeless, will have an art show of his drawings at a Jersey City cafe. The exhibition, "Memories of Journal Square," will kick off with an opening night party Monday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Raph's Plaza African Market and Cafe, located at 709 Bergen Ave. Daniels, who has trouble using the left side of his body due to a stroke, has been drawing his whole life and has a degree in commercial art from Hudson County Community College, he said during an interview in Journal Square today. Daniels, 49, made Journal Square his home for several years. Then, in June, his motorized wheelchair was stolen. The Jersey City Peace Movement, which gives out food in Journal Square once a month helped Daniels' secure a new wheelchair thanks to a Greenville woman who had one to spare after she upgraded her own. They also hooked him up with social service agencies, which helped Daniels find a room on Academy Street, where Daniels have been living for three months, he said. He said the characters he draws are not real people. "I just do it out of my mind," he said. He said he's very glad to have the exhibition. "I feel good because I'm proud of myself," he said. Alfonso Daniels, who up until three months ago was homeless, drawing in Journal Square in this undated photo. His drawings will be on sale at a Jersey City Cafe beginning Monday. The art show and opening reception were organized by the Jersey City Peace Movement. JCPM's director, Erik-Anders Nilsson, said it is timed to coincide with National Hunger and Homeless Awareness week. "We noticed him drawing on a small pad and we asked him if he wanted to sell some of his artwork," said Nilsson. Fifteen of Daniels' framed colored-pencil drawings will be on sale for $25 a piece. There will also be unframed prints of the drawings available for "a few dollars each," said Nilsson, who called the works "rudimentary," but "very powerful." Eighty percent of the money raised will go to Daniels. The rest will go to local people who are homeless as well as progressive and peace organizations, Nilsson said. The opening reception is sponsored by JCPM as well as Raph's Plaza, Black Waxx Moving Images, NJ Action 21 and Eeevents, a film and events production company.

Posted on: 2010/11/14 12:48

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017