Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
154 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: The daily News: Jersey City's Joey Pero releases his debut Jazz album

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/27 17:14
Group:
Registered Users
Why yes! Incredible info.

Here is the scoop oh Phoebe (the musician)

Phoebe's wiki page (the musician)

Phoebe's interview on CBS 3/09

And for your listening pleasure, Phoebe's hit single "Poetry Man"

Poetry Man on youtube

Anyone remember this song?

Thanks again for the info grovepath.

JP

Posted on: 2009/3/24 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Funny you play with Phoebe Snow - I assume she was named after the Lackawanna Rail Road's Phoebe Snow -- a fictional character and a beloved flagship passenger train which ran from Hoboken to Chicago until 1966. (Click to enlarge pictures)
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebe_Snow_(character)

Phoebe Snow was a fictional character created to promote the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad, and, in later years, the name of a pair of passenger trains.
=============================

Phoebe Snow, a young New York socialite, and a frequent passenger of the Lackawanna. For reasons never explained, Miss Snow often traveled to Buffalo, New York, always wearing a white dress.

Says Phoebe Snow
about to go
upon a trip to Buffalo
"My gown stays white
from morn till night
Upon the Road of Anthracite"

Now Phoebe may
by night or day
enjoy her book upon the way
Electric light
dispels the night
Upon the Road of Anthracite
=============================
The Phoebe Snow, Lackawanna's Beloved Flagship Passenger Train

Perhaps more than any other passenger train the Phoebe Snow evoked heartfelt emotions of a warm, classy passenger train that was intent on making you feel right at home when you were aboard. The name itself for the train, which would become the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western?s premier run between Hoboken, New Jersey and Buffalo, New York had actually been around for years in the railroad?s passenger services (such as the Lackawanna Limited, the flagship train before the Phoebe) meant to describe the snow white, clean services the railroad offered since it transported and used clean-burning anthracite coal.

The Lackawanna, while never one of the Northeast?s largest railroads (like most, it was dwarfed by bitter rivals New York Central and Pennsylvania) it was perhaps the grandest, which it is likely best remembered for; builder of the New Jersey Cutoff (between Port Morris, New Jersey and Slateford, Pennsylvania) and the Nicholson-Hallstead Cutoff these magnificent feats of engineering were home to several stunning viaducts (made from reinforced concrete), the most notable of which was Tunkhannock Viaduct (also known as Nicholson Viaduct).

Along with its renowned Hoboken Terminal the Lackawanna is famous for its two cutoffs and the impressive viaducts that were found along both. Although both cutoffs featured several viaducts including Martins Creek Viaduct and Paulins Kill Viaduct (Paulins Kill and Slateford Viaduct are located along the now-defunct New Jersey Cutoff), Tunkhannock dwarfs them all (named for the small creek which runs below it). Topping out at 240 feet above the valley floor and roughly a half-mile long at 2,375 feet the structure is a striking sight (made all the more impressive by Lackawanna R.R. located across the center arch).

The Phoebe Snow, a beautiful streamlined train featuring lightweight equipment from the Budd Company, American Car & Foundry, and Pullman-Standard in a stylish livery of maroon and gray, was born in November 1949 to directly compete with the New York Central between New York City and Buffalo (although the Lackawanna?s service only went as far as its Hoboken Terminal). The personal service and charm of this train, coupled with its brilliant marking campaign of a fictional young lady dressed in white welcoming you to either ride the train or while you were aboard with photos of her showcased throughout the train made the Phoebe Snow a ?down to earth,? beloved operation (the railroad also for some hired a real life actress to portray Phoebe).

Not only did the train offer personal service it also traveled through breathtaking areas of New York State, such as the Pocono Mountains, and along with sites of the Lackawanna?s legendary railroad landmarks, like Nicholson Viaduct, made the trip that much more enjoyable.

After the merger of the Lackawanna and Erie Railroad in 1960 the train briefly disappeared into the new Erie Lackawanna Limited. However, this discontinuance would last only a few years as she was reinstated in late 1963, albeit now running all of the way to Chicago, not just Buffalo, along former Erie rails.

Still, despite fine service and great views, as with the rest of the railroad industry, the Phoebe Snow could not stave off increasing losses as passengers took to their cars and the air for faster, more efficient means of travel. With the loss of the US Postal Service mail contracts in 1966 the Erie Lackawanna decided it was time to retire the Phoebe for good and she made her last run on November 28th of that year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebe_Snow_(character)
http://www.american-rails.com/phoebe-snow.html
Resized Image
Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/3/24 9:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/27 17:14
Group:
Registered Users
Many thanks for the link, tag and shout out. I've enjoyed JClist for several months now. So I figured I'd introduce myself.

If you ever hear a trumpet around Marin and C. Columbus tha'd be me.

My tunes are up on itunes here: Joey Pero iTunes store

Jazz/Classical/Rock/Pop amalgamation

Honored to share the mic with; Phoebe Snow, Jack Antonoff (of Steel Train) Freddy Cole among others.

Keep the arts and music posts coming!

Proud member of JC society,

Joey Pero

Posted on: 2009/3/24 5:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Check out Joey's clips. He's a fabulous player.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 20:35

The daily News: Jersey City's Joey Pero releases his debut Jazz album
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Joey Pero takes music to the next level

By Joanne Beck jbeck@batavianews.com
Saturday, February 21, 2009 8:12 PM EST

Joey Pero is no longer going solo.The 28-year-old Batavia native now talks in terms of "we," which includes his publicist, producer, stylists, a clothing company he's teamed up with and a group of fellow musicians who helped make Pero's first album, Resonance. "It's everyone we deal with artistically," Pero said by phone this week from his home in Jersey City. "We are all in this."

Pero, who counts Wynton Marsalis as a mentor and toured with the late Maynard Ferguson, spent 2008 drafting the concept, playing and perfecting his debut album, which was released Monday.

A blend of jazz and classical music, the album includes a trumpet version of a Bach piece only ever performed by violin.

"He has taken music to a whole other level by incorporating contemporary sound with his already perfected classical roots," singer-songwriter Phoebe Snow, a guest performer on the album, said by e-mail. "This has fostered a completely unique and brilliant sound that I am certain will solidify Joey as one of the great musicians of his time."

A major coup for Pero was taking on the challenge of performing a Bach tune only previously played by violin. Called "Partita BMV 1006," it's a fast-moving piece that makes Pero's talent "unprecedented," according to Charlie Schlueter of Boston Symphony.

It actually wasn't Pero's idea to master the piece, he said, but a vision of his publicist, Charles Ressler.

"It was very clear that before he would start to deconstruct musical boundaries he wanted to make it clear that there was profound classical technique and knowledge attached as well," Ressler said. " 'Partita' allowed him to do both, meaning he was able to push musical boundaries beyond anything anyone could have imagined -- in fact he made history -- but would also be able to show the classical music world that he took the genre seriously."

At first, Pero said "No, it can't be done."

"Then I thought about it some more ... as soon as I really got the mantra thing going, I remembered what I do best: Pushing the envelope."

He also recalled a favored Shakespeare quote over the years: "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." In other words, if you can dream it, you can have it, Pero said.

"It took a good year of practicing ... to go out of the comfort zone of trumpet," he said. "Bach is limitless, he's really the godfather of what we know of music to be today ... deep emotion and deep points of resonance that hit in a person's psyche."

The song has been hit the most on Pero's MySpace page, and has prompted visitor comments puzzled over how he could pull it off.

"I didn't think the trumpet could do that .... like Vizzutti on steroids," one visitor wrote.

The entire team

The album is rich in musical talent, including other guest artists Daryl Sherman, Freddy Cole, Jack Antonoff and Simon Boyar. Each musician added his or her own sense of styles, evidenced by the details Pero rattled off about each one.

Snow, Pero said, is a master of what he calls "gospra," a combination of gospel and opera. She sang "in a way she never has before," Pero said of the former Grammy nominee for best new artist.

Cole, an "incredible talent," is a brother of the late Nat King Cole and one of "the legends of jazz and blues singing." Daryl Sherman sang "Crazy," with such a "breath of fresh air" it gave an upbeat tune a bit of old time charm. Sherman has been a lounge singer at New York City's Waldorf Astoria the last 20 years, which lends long-time big city experience, Pero said.

The album also features Jack Antonoff, a "wonderful virtuoso player" and recent guest on Late Night With Conan O'Brien and marimba player Simon Boyar, who studied with Pero at Juilliard.

"Working with those people was truly resonant at a very high level," Pero said. "I'm honored and humbled to have worked with them. They bring a level of talent and dedication that, when I reach it, they kick it up a notch."

He sent a copy of it to Bill and Hillary Clinton and later learned the jazz enthusiasts added Pero to their list of favorites.

Yet Pero is hesitant to figuratively toot his own horn. His modesty includes a constant use of "we" when talking about his success. He did break from that a bit while describing his role while making the album, produced by Resonance Music Group, at the recording studio.

"I was in a room with five people behind a glass window. They are all talking to you, telling you what it really sounds like. At first it was an unnerving experience. But the challenges are constant; it's something I celebrate," Pero said. "I know I'm moving forward and not staying stagnant; that's not a good thing for an artist. I learned so much, in the specifics of performing, recording and editing sound. "

Just call him Joey

After answering his phone as Joe, Pero explains that his professional personna has become Joey. It's much better than his full official name, which only his mother uses. When he hears "Joseph James, I always know I'm in trouble," he said.

He made the big move near New York City about 18 months ago. He lives in Jersey City, N..J., in a "very, very nice area, very artsy," just 5 minutes from New York City. His new world surrounds Pero with beautiful restaurants, a lovely view of the Statue of Liberty and a creative mix of visual, musical and palatable -- including area chefs -- artists stocked with talent, he said.

"It's an up and coming neighborhood. It would be a great place to settle down," he said. "It's just getting better ... an epicenter of sorts."

A typical day starts with brushing his teeth, hitting Starbucks for a coffee and then warming up with about an hour of trumpet practice "to wake my mind, body, spirit up."

There are often one or more meetings to plan for his album release party and promotional effort, followed by what Pero calls "two to three hours of heavy lifting" -- more intense practice.

A highlight in his personal and professional life so far was an invitation to perform this year at the governor's ball and a state constituency dinner during inauguration festivities for President Barack Obama.

Pero recalled the day he arrived in Washington, D.C.

"The moment I stepped out of the car, the air was charged. You could feel it," he said. "Meeting Hillary Clinton and Gov. Paterson, Mayor Byron Brown of Buffalo ... I was very honored and humbled to be there. And playing at the Smithsonian Castle. It was really patriotic and a high point. It was a big part of history."

Staccato success

As for Pero's own history, it's been a relatively quick -- but steadfast -- trip toward fame. Since graduating from Batavia High School in 1999, he's gone on to win awards, study at Juilliard, tour with Maynard Ferguson and perform with Wynton Marsalis and Phoebe Snow.

Pero also got high praise from Principal trumpeter Charlie Schlueter, of the Boston Symphony, who says Pero is "considered by many to be one of the pre-eminent trumpet talents of our time.".

Writing on Pero's MySpace page, Schleuter says "In addition to his classical prowess, Joey has a jazz sound like no other player in history. Combining his classical sensibility with his jazz playing has fostered a sound that will change the face of Jazz forever."

It was about 10 years ago that Pero played with Rochester Philharmonic Youth Orchestra, led by Director David Harman.

"He was an excellent trumpet player in the middle of a really, really strong RPYO at the time. He's terrific, both as a person and as a musician," Harman said. "I listened to his song clips; he sounds better than ever. It's wonderful to have somebody so talented as a high school student to continue to develop as a mature artist. We're proud from the RPYO standpoint."

Resonance ...

Giving a title to his album was as simple as how he relates to an audience, Pero said.

"It's a natural occurrence, resonance has sort of fallen into my lap," he said. "It's a gift; I've always been able to resonate with an audience, it's a really profound thing that we've taken seriously."

Pero is excited about his album release party, set for April at the former Bouwerie Lane Theatre, an off-Broadway theatre in New York City. The building now houses clothing company Rogan, which focuses on environmentally "green" clothing. That's a cause Pero supports, which is why he has teamed up with the company for his debut party, he said. The company will also dress him for promotional gigs and performances.

"It's important to give back to the earth as it has given to you," he said. "Our album is all green, all organic materials. Aesthetically, it's absolutely gorgeous ... there are no plastics on the CD packaging. Putting good energy into the universe ... that's an important thing."

For him, that energy will soon turn to a second album. Shy to disclose the details, he promised a collection "true to form" full of resonance.

In the meantime, he's taking life a day at a time and appreciating each moment along the way.

"Everything just kind of magically appears. Anything that comes up, I make the best of, to make a name for myself," he said. "My parents were huge, they would always instill that whole vibe of, 'if you can dream it, you can have it. That's huge, it's really special. It makes your life limitless."

FOR MORE ON JOEY PERO, check out www.joeypero.com; or www.myspace.com/joeyperotrumpet.

http://www.thedailynewsonline.com/art ... 21/lifestyles/5187814.txt

Posted on: 2009/2/22 13:05

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017