Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
158 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Turned 100, just as dad predicted
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Turned 100, just as dad predicted

Wednesday, January 14, 2009
By TOM SHORTELL
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

When Margaret Praet was young, her father would tell her to stop being so impatient. "My father always told me I was going to live to be 100," she said from her neatly manicured living room.

When she reached the century mark last Thursday, she got out of bed, washed her face and gave her father credit. "When I went to the bathroom, I looked in the mirror and said, 'I guess you were right, Pop.'"

Praet and the other residents of Muhlenberg Gardens, an apartment complex for seniors in Jersey City, celebrated her centennial in style Monday night as they dined on catered food, danced to a three-piece orchestra and talked late into the night.

Normally, she spends her days chatting with people at meals and people-watching from her window. A television with a rabbit ears antenna sits in the living room, but she only turns it on to watch weather reports. "You'd think I was going out," she said with a laugh.

After she retired from Union City's Yardley factory 38 years ago, Praet volunteered in Jersey City at St. Joseph Church's soup kitchen to feed the elderly until she turned 90. Her father lived to be 102.

Praet's only child, a son, is deceased, but she has a grandson and several grandchildren.

She's the first person in the 28-year history of Muhlenberg Gardens to reach 100, said Ken Wessler, the building manager. Despite being the oldest resident in the complex, Praet keeps active and she's one of the few residents who tidies her own apartment, he said.

Complaining goes against Praet's nature and better judgment.

"Why in heavens should you be bitter? Then you'll get old, and if you're bitter, Kenny won't get you any cake," Praet quipped, slapping Wessler on the hand.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 11:12

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017